M14 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Background: I have recently inherited an M1A SOCOM 16 from my grandfather who recently passed away. I am looking at using this rifle for hog (this summer and fall) and deer hunting this season as well. I have plenty of experience with the M16/M4A1 platform and regular bolt action rifles, but none with the M1A series rifles.

I attempted to zero the irons at 100m, but I’m shooting high 3” with not tight groups even With the Rear aperture sight Bottomed all the way out.
1.) Can you direct me to some resources that explain like I’m 5 how to zero my rifle at 100m or higher, and

2.) in case I want to get a scope or red dot, what do you recommend?
Any help is appreciated! Glad to share my first post here.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
From a preference standpoint, i lile a holosun with a 65 moa circle for a red dot. For a scope, i would ditch the scout mount and grab either a sadlak, basset or ******* Yankee DSM depending on your preferences.

Many with far more shooting proficiency will be around with useful knowledge and suggestions, but it is safe to say that shooting this platform welm is very possible, but it is a very different animal. Some might say it requires particular skill ;)

My favorite method of zeroing at 100 yards is ultimately shooting at 100 yards. Prior to that, shooting at shorter distance helps dial you in to get on paper at 100.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts