M14 Forum banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great info in this thread.

I'm trying to do something similar. I accurate out to 300m with functional hitting a target out to 600m to 800m (ie just hitting target). Preferably, eating any ammo available.

I'm currently also using a delta 14 stock. But debating switching to a black feather.

The main issue I'm running into is cheek weld for an LVPO.

I have a sadlak airborne scope mount and am waiting for my CASM extended to show up.

I have a trijicon VCOG 1-6x with QD. The issue is height.

I'm hoping either the High-tube Mesa tactical attachment will help (can't find one in stock) or if I switch to black feather I'll use their high mount.

Another option that I'm pretty fond of and looking into right now is using this:

Then 3d printing a cheek rest that at the highest lines up my LVPO and lowest my irons.

Current set up with sadlak and without the scope is in picture.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Great info in this thread.

I'm trying to do something similar. I accurate out to 300m with functional hitting a target out to 600m to 800m (ie just hitting target). Preferably, eating any ammo available.

I'm currently also using a delta 14 stock. But debating switching to a black feather.

The main issue I'm running into is cheek weld for an LVPO.

I have a sadlak airborne scope mount and am waiting for my CASM extended to show up.

I have a trijicon VCOG 1-6x with QD. The issue is height.

I'm hoping either the High-tube Mesa tactical attachment will help (can't find one in stock) or if I switch to black feather I'll use their high mount.

Another option that I'm pretty fond of and looking into right now is using this:

Then 3d printing a cheek rest that at the highest lines up my LVPO and lowest my irons.

Current set up with sadlak and without the scope is in picture. View attachment 455848
Look up the Mesa High Tube Adaptor. I had one on my delta 14 and it will solve all your comb height issues. The delta 14 has a bit too much drop built into the adaptor side at the back of the stock. I've compared it to my blackfeather and it's quite a bit.

I believe you need the Mossberg 500 style adaptor to fit the delta 14.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
M14 Business
"The M14 action is much like an American muscle car begging to be modded and hot-rodded"
25 Posts
SOCOM 16 "Do-All" Configuration

Our house gun is 16 type SEI, here it is set up for Walter Mitty action. Everything but the kitchen sink... Flip up battle sight, red dot, 1.5-5 optic, suppressor, bi-pod, and a 50 round drum mag (not pictured).

Trigger Air gun Machine gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

The same rifle in a more subdued, yet fully capable set up - a personal favorite.

Machine gun Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun

·
Registered
899 Posts
My knowledge has increased and my thinking evolved since I posted here, so here are my current thoughts on a backup system for an LPVO.
1. A QD optic mount is probably the way to go if you need to transition to the M14 irons in an emergency. It gets around having to mount your primary sighting system in a sub-optimal way in order to keep the irons visible. It is slower, but we are talking about releasing one latch and ripping the failed optic off, so not terrible.
2. There are mounts that let you clamp a micro red dot on your LPVO or mount it offset on your top rail. Something like the Trijicon RMR is only a few ounces and not very bulky. If you want something you can immediately transition to if your primary optic fails, this is a pretty good option. It can also be used for CQB if your primary optic is at high magnification.

That said, there are good, rugged LPVO's available in 2022. SIG, Trijicon, and Night Force all have LPVO's in service with the US military. I think the best plan is to invest in a rugged optic so that you have the smallest chance of having to use your backup. Plan for the worst, but trust your primary system to work, and don't compromise its mounting for the sake of a backup. Just my (current) $.02.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts