M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
I suppose it depends on your rifle's purpose. For my needs I chose a red dot type sight for my SOCOM. I'm sure some folks with more experience with optics will be along shortly. I'm really more of an Iron sights guy. Might want to look around in the "scopes" section.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
All of my scopes (save one older Redfield) are Leupold for a very good reason.

That said, there was only one scope I considered when I scoped my SOCOM 16, the Leupold IER Scout Scope. IER is for Intermediate Eye Relief, so more than a normal rifle, but not as long as a pistol or EER (Extended Eye Relief).

All I can say is that I am very happy with this combination. I used low Weaver brand rings and when I shoulder the rifle, I can keep both eyes open to scan for targets. While if I concentrate, I can keep both eyes open for shooting, it is easier for me to close my left eye because it is the dominant one, and I am right-handed, as is all of my shooting (when given a choice).

The Leupold Scout Scope is a fixed 2.5x and perfect for the ranges the weapon is designed for. With both eyes open, it is a low enough power to see the magnified portion in the middle of the field of view from both eyes. It's pretty cool actually.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=411427

I am assuming you are wanting to use the scout mount over the barrel, right? You can scope it over the receiver like any other M14, also.

Before I mounted the Leupold, I had a Trijicon ACOG Reflex sight on the scout mount. I felt the Trijicon's large triangle reticle wasn't precise enough for what the rifle was capable of, even at close ranges and quick action.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Hey guys new to the eye relief scope world. What are some good ones. Thanks.
I'll echo the other sentiments here - it does depend on the rifle's purpose.

On my Loaded, I rock a basic Leupold VX3. I'm going to upgrade to a 40mm Leupold LR/T sometime this year.

My SOCOM is a different story.. myself, 90% of the time I run my SOCOM w/ irons. However, I did want a modestly priced, but reasonably well-built traditional scope around as well that would suit the SOCOM. I chose a Leatherwood CMR scope. It offers 1-4x magnification, with an illuminated reticle. 30mm tube. The glass is of good quality, but pales in comparison to Leupold, and is built pretty well. It is a solid scope, and relatively inexpensive (about $250).

I have a set of ARMs QD rings that hold a zero well, and when I want an optic I just toss it up top and I'm good to go.

1-4x is a great type of scope for the SOCOM. Dial it down to 1x, and turn on the illumination and you have a quite workable "red dot" type optic or dial it up to 4x for longer range.

If you intend to mostly keep the glass on the gun full time and want something similar, I'd suggest something from the Leupold Mark 4 line. A CQ/T at 1-3x, or an MR/T at 1-5x would be great.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Thanks for the quick answers. The research has begun.
Good luck. Something else to think about is your intended application.. if you only shoot during the day or at a (presumably) well-lit range, at high-contrast targets, you don't have much need for really high-quality glass.

Quality glass comes into play if you shoot during twilight hours, or in the woods against low-contrast targets. An illuminated reticle helps here as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Burris also makes a handgun scope that can be used. I used it when I first got my Socom and had good success with the extended eye relief offered with a handgun scope. I believe it was a 2-7. I have since gone to the Troy MCS and a Nightforce 2.5-10x32.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts