M14 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Trijicon TriPower for my SOC16, so a friend of mine, Sean, and I headed down to the range, I wanted to sight in my TriPower and he wasnted to sight in his Leupy Scope on his Standard M1A.

The Weather was BEAUTIFUL last sunday, it was warm but not too hot, gentle breeze helped with that. Full sun and a few whisps of clouds, just made for a perfect range day.

A quick note on the TriPower, its a great red dot. The Chevron looks great, crisp and clear. I walked around my house with it on, lights off and the Tritium made the Chevron glow nicely. With the addition of the Trititium in the front sight it makes for a nice reference point. In full light the Fiber Optics are great, the Chevron shows up clear and bright.

The only issue I had, the TriPower shot VERY high at first, but after a lil plinking and Kentucky windage, we managed to diagnose the issue and hit paper soon enough, then it was all fine tuning from there. Our targets were tiny, we were using the standard M16 Zeroing Targets, the 25m at 50m. Just to get on paper. Not having nearly the ammount of time behind the trigger as I would like in the standing position, I understand that I will be shooting MoH/F (Minute of Hadjii/Felon), but was overall happy with the results.

My Buddy had 2 issues, his first 3 rounds were FTE and a loose scope mount. Because of reading this forum so much I was able to help him diagnose his loose gas plug almost immeadiately. After every 3 or 4 shots he had to tighten the mount, but some Lok-Tite should help that out a bit.

We were both using a mix of German and Paki ammo.

I dont always setup the range table so neat, but there were a few people learning how to shoot .22's on the line, so not to scare them away the the LOUD booms of the 308s we waited paitently for awhile. But here goes the test, a couple range photos:

The Kit

The Kit plus Targets

Dialing it in

Shooting Minute of Hadjii/Felon

Great day, now gotta find more trigger time!!!!!!! GI6

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a Tripower on my bushy flat top and absolutely love it! Don't know why I never thought about putting it on my Scout! I have an Eotech on the Scout now. I think I may just change them out! Good report. 'Mo

·
Registered
328 Posts
nice shooting. the trijicon imo compliments the socom nicely since they come equipped originally with their sights. I'm sure it looks great, can we get a better pic of your rifle?

next time out I'm headed to the 50 with my socom, no more 100 yds with the trijicon sights it's getting too frustrating lol

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damn an excuse to go home and play with the SOC16 and take photos! UGH!! Ok if you insist! haha. besides shes a Dirty, Dirty girl. Ill be updating soon!

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
...that's funny! I use a modified copy of my M16 25M sight-in target I got from Basic Training to sight in my rifles, and I have 4 of those on 1 page I use for my airgun target for practice in the garage.

I have toyed with the idea of putting a EOTech on my Socom16 but just love how handy it is without optics.

Did you have a problem with eye relief and the Trijicon on the S16?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Additional Info

Not a single problem with eye relief! Im actually changing out the front sight to a National Match with a bigger Trititium Bar so seeing at night will be even better. I tried taking pics with the lights off, but I dont have a good enough camera phone that you can see the light from the FS bar and the TriPower. I ensure you that you can see both! Anyone who mounts an RDS (Red Dot Sight) to the front rail on thier SOCOM will be happy with it. Im upset that I cant CoWitness, and maybe I will have to find a see-through base for the Tripower (Any Suggestions anyone? haha) Well, Thanks for the comments, both on the thread and the PM's!

As some more of the pics I promised:

The Stick

The Sight

Eye Relief

New Front Sight Comparison, Better Trititium Bar

Light at the Tunnels End

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I like the TriPower with the chevron. If they ever make a 2X version It'll end up on my bush.

·
Registered
509 Posts
What am I missing here... isn't the new sight MUCH shorter than the old one? How are you going to not shoot way high with this set-up?

Bimmer
besides that, it's pointless to switch only the front to a nm front sight and keep the factory ghost ring rear.

the socoms sights aren't much good past 200yds. you'll get better precision if you swap the front and the rear.

then your good for 600 to 800 yds, pretty much like a scout squad or bush m1a.

one of the first mods i made to my socom II GI6

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
NM Rear Sight

The Rear sight is the next thing to get fixed. Im working on limited funds so Im piece mailing this together. I'm not worried about the rar sight so much since I have the TriPower mounted. I think I want to switch out the Tri-Powers base with a Quick Detach, maybe find something I can see under the TriPower with since I cant use the Irons. I just recieved my new Gas Lock and Troy Medieval Brake, and cant wait to bring it to the range and try a few rounds through it.

For those wondering about how to mount the Medival Brake, my Gunsmith did it by putting a spacer of sorts in between the threads and then drilled and pinned the brake onto the Smith Gas Lock, RePark'd and its good to go. Pics to Follow!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Have been wanting to look thru one, but none at my local sporting goods stores....so thanks for the pictures.
Why did I think the view would be a giant Trijicon chevron like this?

What am I missing?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When I initially bought the sigfht I was expecting a bigger Chevron, but when I took it to the range it all became clear. Unfortunately I dont have anything better than my cell phone camera to take pics or I would have taken some pics of it outdoors on a target to show. Perhaps soon I will have to borrow a camera and take some better pics. Damn that means more range time, Awww Shucks!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts