M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should shortly have around $1500 that I'm going to spend on an M1A.

Here's my list of wants:
Quality American Manufacture
18" or longer barrel
Capable of 2.5 MOA or better with match grade handloads

Is this do able? Who would you go to?

Later,
Chrome...

·
Registered
558 Posts
If you want new, a standard Springfield M1A (maybe a Loaded model) is about as good as you are gonna get for $1500. Thats ok though, you can tune it up over time. In either case you are stuck with Springfield...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are the new Springfield's still able to accept USGI parts? I've seen mixed information regarding that. I had initially leaned towards a Loaded, but I'm still in the "information gathering" stage.

Later,
Chrome...

·
Registered
249 Posts
2.5 MOA should be doable without too much effort. Check out the LRB group buy in the group buy forum and you can get a very nice starting setup for near that amount (probably more including all the accessories and small parts but it will be worth it).

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
We have a PX section.

Why not take a gander over there?

Many deals have been made here in our PX/BX section.

There is also a feed back section you can look at. You will find that we have a top shelf membership.FRG1

Good luck!

9th

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have a PX section.

Why not take a gander over there?
I'd like to, but it's listed as "private." I'm assuming there's either a membership length requirement or a post count requirement.

Later,
Chrome...

·
Registered
558 Posts
2.5 MOA should be doable without too much effort. Check out the LRB group buy in the group buy forum and you can get a very nice starting setup for near that amount (probably more including all the accessories and small parts but it will be worth it).
Alot more like another $1000+ plus more when you guys finally add up all the parts and labor. Dont get our newbie to confused about the group buy. Theres lots more to be done when those barreled actions come in. Op rod, gas cylinder and flash hider will probably be running people another $800 by themselves and you are still far from done...

Chrome, not saying the group buy isnt a good deal. The LRB is about the best receiver out there, but this is far from a full working rifle that folks are buying....

·
Registered
558 Posts
Are the new Springfield's still able to accept USGI parts? I've seen mixed information regarding that. I had initially leaned towards a Loaded, but I'm still in the "information gathering" stage.

Later,
Chrome...
Ha! Well that depends. Sometimes yes, sometimes no, but the person installing the parts needs to know what he's doing too. The M14 isnt like Leggos or the AR. There is some special fitting that needs to be done by experienced hands...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Alot more like another $1000+ plus more when you guys finally add up all the parts and labor. Dont get our newbie to confused about the group buy. Theres lots more to be done when those barreled actions come in. Op rod, gas cylinder and flash hider will probably be running people another $800 by themselves and you are still far from done...

Chrome, not saying the group buy isnt a good deal. The LRB is about the best receiver out there, but this is far from a full working rifle that folks are buying....
True, but I did it the Springfield way first, and now I wish I went with the LRB, even it cost me more. Heck, the M25 receiver is a bargain just for not having to buy a $200+ scope mount later on. Live and learn I guess...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup, the LRB deal may be a good one, but not what I'm looking for for now. Budget is only SEMI flexible, not enough to assemble a rifle or I'd be looking at an assembled LRB rifle anyways.

As far as the accuracy requirement, is 2 - 2.5MOA out side of the capability of a Standard? Am I correct looking at the Loaded or is that superfluous money spent? Looks like the biggest difference is the NM barrel.

When I shoot my Garand from position I can hold 4 MOA easily, 3 on a good day. I'm getting better with practice, so I want a rifle that's going to perform well. No need for a >1 MOA shooter yet.

No need to worry about scope mounts. I shoot with irons on all my "combat" rifles.

As for the parts interchanging, I know they're not Legos and parts need to be fitted. What I'm concerned about is being able to source durable parts easily that aren't dependent on the SAI factory. So, what is the story on these? Lots of mixed info floating around and it is hard to follow.

Later,
Chrome...

·
Registered
558 Posts
Yup, the LRB deal may be a good one, but not what I'm looking for for now. Budget is only SEMI flexible, not enough to assemble a rifle or I'd be looking at an assembled LRB rifle anyways.

As far as the accuracy requirement, is 2 - 2.5MOA out side of the capability of a Standard? Am I correct looking at the Loaded or is that superfluous money spent? Looks like the biggest difference is the NM barrel.

When I shoot my Garand from position I can hold 4 MOA easily, 3 on a good day. I'm getting better with practice, so I want a rifle that's going to perform well. No need for a >1 MOA shooter yet.

No need to worry about scope mounts. I shoot with irons on all my "combat" rifles.

As for the parts interchanging, I know they're not Legos and parts need to be fitted. What I'm concerned about is being able to source durable parts easily that aren't dependent on the SAI factory. So, what is the story on these? Lots of mixed info floating around and it is hard to follow.

Later,
Chrome...
MOA is dependent on the gun, the ammo and shooter. There is never a guarantee. Some days you will shoot it, some days you might shoot better, some worse, but 2.5 is not asking too much from it...

There is no guarantee on getting GI parts and some GI parts are worth more than others. Original GI parts are parts made many years ago. Sometimes you find them, sometimes you dont, but in any case expect to pay premium prices.

Most manufacturers (Fulton, LRB, Smith, 7.62 Firearms (7.62 Firearms is up and coming, so dont know much about them but I think they are on the up and up)) produce good parts.

Unless you have asthetic(?) reasons for having real GI parts dont get too hung up on it. Just make sure the parts you do buy are from a reputable source. I hate to say it, but you are starting in this game a little late in life or you are young and missed the "glory days" of the M14 (though that is changing a bit). There was a time that a good GI bolt, for instance, could be had for a song and were plentiful. Those days are over. Whats left out there is whats left and the demand is high when available. Like land, they aint making anymore. Dont sweat it, a GI bolt in an M1A receiver isnt going to make your rifle shoot any better...

Dont completely discount having one built. Like all things, we always "want it now", but most of us here spend upwards of a year or more building these things. If you do want the creme-de-le-creme and you think over time you can save for the other stuff that may be the way to go. You will ultimately wind up with a finer product...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info. You guessed it, I'm 25 so the M14 wasn't prominent until I started getting more into shooting. I'm from the AR generation I guess, but I do very much enjoy my Garand, and have wanted an M14 for a long while now.

As for the accuracy issue, I understand there are no guarantees and a variety of factors that weigh in. I was just looking for a generality, and it seems you guys feel 2.5 MOA isn't asking too much.

A build is nice, but I may be completely satisfied with a nice factory one upgraded as I grow with the rifle.

With a Loaded model, the only thing I see wanting right off the bat is a hooded rear sight.

Later,
Chrome...

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
rifles

You have to pick and choose which advise to follow.

Quality used G.I. Gas Cylinder with all parts complete- PX here all the time for 100 bucks.

Quality lugged G.I. flash hider- PX See em all the time for 100 bucks.

Quality G.I. op rod- PX All the time for 150-175 bucks...brownells has forged for 110 bucks with discount OEM for smith enterprises inc.

Total with money orders and shipping..no more than $396.00

·
Registered
558 Posts
Thanks for the info. You guessed it, I'm 25 so the M14 wasn't prominent until I started getting more into shooting. I'm from the AR generation I guess, but I do very much enjoy my Garand, and have wanted an M14 for a long while now.

As for the accuracy issue, I understand there are no guarantees and a variety of factors that weigh in. I was just looking for a generality, and it seems you guys feel 2.5 MOA isn't asking too much.

A build is nice, but I may be completely satisfied with a nice factory one upgraded as I grow with the rifle.

With a Loaded model, the only thing I see wanting right off the bat is a hooded rear sight.

Later,
Chrome...
I dont know. I dont think you get the hooded rear site until you get to the NM model. Again, I dont know. I was under the assumption that the Loaded just came with a NM barrel. Springfield is too contrived when it comes to models as far as Im concerned. I own them, have owned 5 total throughout the years, but dont know what it is they do now in their different level rifles other than the Standards and the SuperMatches. In between that, ....? Why bother...? Either just get the standard and do your own mods over time, or get the SuperMatch and just be done with it...thats my take on it with Springfield...

Ripsaw - I know you love making a counterpoint to everything I say. Yes good deals can be found, the problem is they are not a constant. If he wants good, new high quality parts, that have not been used in someone else's gun and not subjected to who knows what, then you will be paying more than $400 (I admit $800 is a little high, but when you add shipping, pistons, springs, FH reaming, valves, plugs...?) for all those items. Personally, if its used, I wouldnt touch it with a 10 ft pole if I could not first inspect it....

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I was just looking for a generality, and it seems you guys feel 2.5 MOA isn't asking too much.
I'm on my fourth M1A, and all were 2.5" MOA or better right out of the box except my Scout Squad. Now that I've done the tweaks shown in the stickies, Suzie Scout easily holds 2.5 inch @ a hundred.

Don't worry about getting G.I. parts right away. They are not necessary until you hit a problem. Getting more accuracy is eliminating stock rubs, clearing the hand guard off the stock, timing the gas lock, adjusting the gas plug/dwell and installing shims to tighten the front band. All of that can be done by you with less than $50 for the shims, wrenches and castle nut pliers.

You can spend a LOT more for first rate tools later but to start off on a budget, buy the rifle you like and shoot it. Get the starter tools and finesse the rifle one step at a time while you shoot. My Scout got the best improvement by installing a $15 shim kit and clearancing the ferrul rubs off the GC.

Happy Huntin!! BIGTHUMPUP

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
I hate to say it, but you are starting in this game a little late in life or you are young and missed the "glory days" of the M14 (though that is changing a bit).
I dunno...But if I was a young Trooper today in Iraq or Afghanistan, or 'elsewhere'...and had an M14 to pick up...
I might Think That THESE ARE THE GLORY DAYS OF THE M14!!!
(Some of those SEI and other Mods I have seen photos of Over There are Pretty Sweet!)...
In Comparison to VN...There's Not Just A Lot More 'Bells and Whistles'...The M14 'Shooter' of Today Has Better Equipment and Optics and Ammo Than We Did!

Just MY Personal Opinion...

GI6

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
558 Posts
I dunno...But if I was a young Trooper today in Iraq or Afghanistan, or 'elsewhere'...and had an M14 to pick up...
I might Think That THESE ARE THE GLORY DAYS OF THE M14!!!
(Some of those SEI and other Mods I have seen photos of Over There are Pretty Sweet!)...
In Comparison to VN...There's Not Just A Lot More 'Bells and Whistles'...The M14 'Shooter' of Today Has Better Equipment and Optics and Ammo Than We Did!

Just MY Personal Opinion...

GI6

CAVman in WYoming
I agree, the 14's finest hour is surely happening right now, overseas. I just meant in terms of the days when vendors were overflowing with GI parts and the rifle ruled Rodriguez and Viale....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts