M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading about development of the M14 and came across some information that stated there were a couple of variations of the M14 that had folding stocks. Are there any pictures of these elusive beasts? Were they wood and hinged? Were they plastic? wire? The ones that I have seeen just look modern. Im looking for a picture of what the real ones looked like. Were the variations the same with minor differences or were they totally different? Looking for some info, thanks

Irish

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
were these only for the e2? What about the plastic pistol gripped m14? same folder ?

·
"Death From Above"
11,641 Posts
It made from an E2 stock but it was never a gi issue. An amtu armorer that was working I think for devine sai made them in 1978, his name was Wayne Young. According to different book 80 of them were sent to a dealer in PA and the rest were sold indivdually. I wish I knew what company he was working for at the time. I don't know when divine sai closed up shop and sai in IL opened. The ones with the plastic grips and or wooden ones were made by Rease or Rese not sure how the new sai owners spell there name. I think and again I'm not sure but I think it was rease surplus. A member just recently posted a pick of a SEI rifle he had built in kne of those stocks. You can find it in the picture thread section. It's pretty neat as well. I found this E2 stock on a forum in Canada. I also got an E2 stock and an M2 bipod from the guy. I feel like I stepped in it when I found the foder. It has an aftermarket front grip on it. If I ever come across a real one I'll pick it up. There really is not that much of a difference.

·
"Death From Above"
11,641 Posts
PS the action that's in this stock is actually in a regular gi stock. I have another LRB standard M14SA on order and it going to be built up with an 18.5 inch heavy krieger barrel that will be for this stock. It deserves a short action.

·
"Death From Above"
11,641 Posts
I have not even tried it. I can't take it to the range these are illegal in NY. I took a pic and put the action back in a regular stock. As I said I am building another action for this stock but it's going to be an upstate trip to shoot it at my brother in laws club. He is a member with 40 guys they have 700 acres. I think I can get lost with it out there for a couple of days and not get arrested.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I have not even tried it. I can't take it to the range these are illegal in NY. I took a pic and put the action back in a regular stock. As I said I am building another action for this stock but it's going to be an upstate trip to shoot it at my brother in laws club. He is a member with 40 guys they have 700 acres. I think I can get lost with it out there for a couple of days and not get arrested.
Unless the local PoPo own a computer and know how to read.GI6

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
... these are illegal in NY.
This is the part where you should have made a disclaimer like "I took this photo in Pennsylvania, where this configuration is legal, and then I disassembled it again before coming back to NY."

Take a page out of the CalGuns book...

Bimmer

·
"Death From Above"
11,641 Posts
Oh yeah that picture was taken when I was visiting my great aunts cosins husband in Utah. She has the same table as me and the same screen house as well. Just so happens my brother in laws fathers uncle was there when I was visiting and he had an Lrb M14 we tried in the stock that I drove to Utah because I was afraid to try and get it on a commercial flight. At least that's my story. And guess what all he has is 20 round mags as well. No tens in sight.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I was reading about development of the M14 and came across some information that stated there were a couple of variations of the M14 that had folding stocks. Are there any pictures of these elusive beasts? Looking for some info, thanks

Irish
Do yourself a favor and get "The Last Steel Warrior" by Frank Iannamico. GI2
from the book - "In 1961 design studies were launched at the Springfield Armory for the development of a folding stock version of the M14 rifle."
"The final M14 folding rifle stock design from the Springfield Armory was the Type V. During January 1963 a Type V side-folding stock for the M14 was fabricated by the Springfield Armory. The stock's arms, butt-plate and swivel bracket were made from aluminum bar stock. When not in use the stock folded to the left side of the rifle."
"The folding stock version of the M14 was to be designated as the M14E1 rifle. By the end of 1963 no guidance or recommendations had been received from the Headquarters of Army weapons Command. Due in part to lack of funding and waning interest in the M14 rifle, no folding stock models were ever Standardized."
Pictures of the Type V are on page 292.

·
"Death From Above"
11,641 Posts
That's is something I would love to see! So I take it they never went into production and any existing one are squirmed away at some museum. I wonder if it's up at the Springfield museum. If I am ever in the neighborhood that's one place I want to visit. Thanks for the book suggestion.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Hey 82nd, beautiful rifle. Since it is located in Utah, next time you drop by, hit me up. We can get together, with RAMMAC and stickboy and hit the range or the desert.

1978 was great year.

·
"Death From Above"
11,641 Posts
Hey 82nd, beautiful rifle. Since it is located in Utah, next time you drop by, hit me up. We can get together, with RAMMAC and stickboy and hit the range or the desert.

1978 was great year.
Sorry to say that was a joke based on guys telling me I should cover my tracks. There is a good posibility I may be there one day I fly plance for a living and I never know where I will be landing. If I do travel there I will be sure to shoot you a PM. Thanks for the invite!

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
Sorry to say that was a joke based on guys telling me I should cover my tracks. There is a good posibility I may be there one day I fly plance for a living and I never know where I will be landing. If I do travel there I will be sure to shoot you a PM. Thanks for the invite!
You Need to Work On That !!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferguson_v._NTSB

GI8GI6GITEN

CAVman in WYoming

1 - 20 of 22 Posts