M14 Forum banner

So, so tempting... (Found primers at LGS)

3K views 31 replies 24 participants last post by  WichitaWrat 
#1 ·
I went into Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday looking for camp stove propane. Out of curiosity, I decided to swing by the ammo section. There were people mulling about in a group, which seemed odd. Apparently, I got there just as they were unloading a shipment of ammo. I scored two boxes of 5.56 , one box of CCI-450's and one box of CCI-200's. I paid about $32 for each 1000 count box of primers.

I just checked gunjoker and 1000 count boxes of primers are going for $225! And the auction still has 5 days left!

No, I'm not going to scalp them, but man, it's tempting.

Tony.

#9 ·
We have been through this before. It's not the end of the world.
In another 6 months or a year primers will be back to their normal cost.
As far as scalping, some people say it's supply and demand but if I wouldn't charge a friend
that absurd cost then I wont ask anyone else to pay that price.
I like to sleep well at night but if money is whats important to you then go for it.

#11 ·
I learned from past famines. In probably sitting on 15k primers of various flavors, easily. Buy it cheap, stock it deep!

I spent about $1k on powder and bullets in March when I saw the storm approaching.

#13 ·
My FFL does a small amount of resale, and he says he can get ammo, but it is so expensive for him, that by the time he has to mark it up to make it worth selling, he doesn't want to sell it that high, particularly to somebody local. He tells people to look online and see what they can find.

I think it is a good point in supporting those who do not exploit with the tides. If good behavior is not rewarded in the long run, it tends to fall out of fashion, and those that were benefitting from it are ultimately punished with the original good actor.

Remember who the good guys are, and keep coming back to them, sometimes even if it's a few dollars more, and in the very least, check in and give them a shot.

#14 ·
Good score Tony.
LGS clerk told me they were getting in some CCI 500 (sp) loaded on APS strips. I passed due to cost and messing with the strips. Last time I was in they had one box left and I felt lucky to get it in my hand for $49.99.
SWH here has a sign that you can only buy 1000 primers per day and the shelf has been empty for a long time. The other day they had one box of Fed GM155M (LP) primers for $37.99. Not my favorite; picked it up and put it back twice before taking it to the checkout. They were the only primers, other than 50 BMG, I've seen there in months.

#20 ·
Hello,
Well, In my opinion. Which could be incorrect, is.
Because "some people" keep panic buying stuff for what ever reason. That they really don't "need"... Running around buying anything they can get their hands on.
Therefore, just feeding the frenzy(squawking about it)... Yet, that's the way I see it... Again, I could be incorrect with that notion.

#28 ·
Hello,
Well, In my opinion. Which could be incorrect, is.
Because "some people" keep panic buying stuff for what ever reason. That they really don't "need"... Running around buying anything they can get their hands on.
Therefore, just feeding the frenzy(squawking about it)... Yet, that's the way I see it... Again, I could be incorrect with that notion.

Exactly right! Same thing every time, just new folks getting in on the panic.

#21 ·
I managed to pick up 5200 Federal 215M primers over the last couple of months from two local shops. They limited the number of primers from 200-300 a day. I managed to gett hem for an average price of $12per thousand. Also picked up IMR 4895 H110 and 15lbs of H1000 the average price was around $30 a pound for the H1000. The H110 was 25 each and the 4895 was 28 each. I am fortunate that the places around me are not price gouging You can call my buying habits whatever you like, I like being stocked up. 15lbs of H1000 I will only be able to make around 1100 rounds. That will keep me busy for a couple of years before I need a new barrel.

#22 ·
I would caution people that think this is just like all the other shortages we’ve had in the past and in 6 months prices will return to normal.

I think we are in uncharted waters this time around.
Unchecked political power on the left.
a willingness to use that power without regard. This is a paradigm shift from the past.
A complicit propaganda intelligence and media complex.

One more time for emphasis. It’s not your normal shortage, and it’s not a typical point in time in our history.

#26 ·
There are a few websites that seem to have ammo on occasion. www.midwayusa.com www.midsouthshooterssupply.com are the two I have had the best luck with. MidwayUSA is one of my favorites as they have great customer support. I recently bought some 9mm from them to help out a friend and when it arrived two boxes of 20 were missing. I emailed them mainly to let them know what happened. The next day I got a refund email. No questions asked.

Good luck. Just keep your eyes open and you will find some that is priced reasonable.

#29 ·
Hello,
Yes, people are getting a little weird out there.
Last week, I had too head down the hill for some business dealings, thought what the heck; let's stop by the gun shop and yak for a bit.... The shop owner agrees about the latest run on ammo and firearms shortage and all the craziness, with a few stories about his experience with the latest one.
The best one he had:
Was he received a call from someone that was looking for some 4350 powder. Owner: "Sure, I have three lbs. on the shelve, come on down"(it's a small town). The guy on the phone says: "I'll take then all, can you send them too me"?. The Owner says: "what?, just drive over and get them"... The guy replies, "I live in San Diego, I'll give you my CC number and I'll be up tomarrow to pick them up".... It's a 350mi. trip one way.
That's how stupid some people are ....Cold calling sports shops around the State and the willingness to travel that distance for 3lbs. of powder...City people, go figure..... We both had a good laugh at that one....

#30 ·
I always thought my LGS was a little higher on prices than I could order online. Stopped by a couple weeks ago and they were selling primers for $3.29 per box of 100 limit 5 boxes and very limited powder from $28 to $35 a pound. I have a whole new respect for them now! They could easily be selling at twice the price and sell everything they have.

And its a shame primers are a pain to ship. I was looking through the locker the other day and found 1000 large pistol primers that I don't have any use for. I would pass them on to someone here but I guess I will just hang on to them for barter material.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.