M14 Forum banner

So now, all semi-automatic pistols are to be considered "Assault Weapons:?

875 Views 27 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  ManxumFoe
Gun used in Monterey Park massacre an assault weapon under state law, known to jam (yahoo.com)

So, a semi-automatic only MAC-10 clone is not a civilian legal pistol? Is it the gun itself or that long magazine?

Is this a high capacity magazine issue, or is it a scary-looking gun issue?

If the latter, that would make every semi-automatic handgun an "assault weapon".

The slippery sloap can get real steep real quick.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
1,173 Posts
Gun used in Monterey Park massacre an assault weapon under state law, known to jam (yahoo.com)

So, a semi-automatic only MAC-10 clone is not a civilian legal pistol? Is it the gun itself or that long magazine?

If the latter, that would make every semi-automatic handgun an "assault weapon".

I think it is a combination of "scary-looking gun" and maybe the myth that it can be easily converted to full-auto.

Just a guess.

· Registered
714 Posts
Crap or not . . .that one worked 47 times.
Yes, indeed. The problem with banning guns is that the technology ain't gene-splicing. For example:

Gas Trigger Bicycle part Gun accessory Air gun

Oh, and everybody knows that you can't own pistols in Japan. Ban gunpowder and somebody will figure out how to use compressed air, or gasoline, or something. On the other hand this sterling lad, allegedly the killer of two in Des Moines yesterday, might not be able to walk and chew gum simultaneously, never mind build a zip-gun.

Human body Eyelash Ear Eyewear Happy

Reactions: JeffG

· Civilian Non-Combatant
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eventuallyh "they" will want to ban the mere possesion of billet aluminum and a table top CNC mill.

Sheck out tome of the crazy stuff done by the guy on YouTube Channe, "Stuff Made Here".

If that guy is ever radicalized, he could make, at home, about anything. . . .and program it to do about anything.

· Registered
729 Posts

Eeew...

It depends on the state.
Its how they define an 'assault pistol'.

Its either by name (they name the specific firearm)
Or it fits into a set criteria.
Since the stamped gun doesn't have a slide... the frame could fit the definition of a shroud.
And the magazine was 30rnds.

But that's just a guess.

· Civilian Non-Combatant
2,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do not think I have seen a photo of the actual gun recovered from the now dead suspect.

Does it have a folding stock?
Eeew...

It depends on the state.
Its how they define an 'assault pistol'.

Its either by name (they name the specific firearm)
Or it fits into a set criteria.
Since the stamped gun doesn't have a slide... the frame could fit the definition of a shroud.
And the magazine was 30rnds.

But that's just a guess.

Not to quibble with this post: Would the shroud thing also apply to other hand guns?

How does the BATFE define a hand gun now anyway?

· Registered
3,159 Posts
Yes, indeed. The problem with banning guns is that the technology ain't gene-splicing. For example:

View attachment 504939
Oh, and everybody knows that you can't own pistols in Japan. Ban gunpowder and somebody will figure out how to use compressed air, or gasoline, or something. On the other hand this sterling lad, allegedly the killer of two in Des Moines yesterday, might not be able to walk and chew gum simultaneously, never mind build a zip-gun.

View attachment 504941
You can't even have a box cutter or scissors in Malaysia. We had two over here for some training on equipment we built for them. Had to open a couple of late delivery boxes to finish the machines and took out my Gerber tanto side opener and they about crapped their pants.

· Registered
353 Posts
Microphone Podium Shirt Lectern Military person

Rich Fool nailed it. It fit into the 'scary gun' category, plus....I kid you not...some retired ATF guy was on the news and stated 'We use to see these all the time in criminal cases, they are easily converted to full auto." and continue by saying the suppressor /sling helped in control of the weapon making it more deadly.

· Registered
729 Posts
I do not think I have seen a photo of the actual gun recovered from the now dead suspect.

Does it have a folding stock?

Not to quibble with this post: Would the shroud thing also apply to other hand guns?

How does the BATFE define a hand gun now anyway?
So you have a pistol and an 'assault weapon: pistol' where the definition of the assault weapon: pistol' starts with a pistol but the pistol contains one or more of the following:
The magazine is not in the grip but forward of the trigger, a shroud that covers the barrel but isn't a slide so that you can support the gun with the non trigger hand ... etc...
(These vary state by state. ) In IL they talk about the shroud in one paragraph, then in an exclusion paragraph they exclude those with slides.

So yes the shroud applies to all handguns, sans those with slides. So your 1911 would be legal... this would not. Uzi would not. (Semi-auto only)

His mac 10 clone didn't have a stock at least I didn't see it in the photos of the struggle to get it away from him.

I don't know what the BATFE defines anything anymore.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts