M14 Forum banner

So much confusion in NY right now

12368 Views 37 Replies 26 Participants Last post by  tokiwartooth
Don't even know where to start here. What are fellow NY'ers doing about their rifles? Are you registering them? Under the new law if there is no muzzle device or threaded barrel then the rifles are not "assault weapons" unless of course you have a pistol grip stock. Anyway, I've been told there are several ways to become compliant either by cutting the threads and crowning the barrel and using a gas lock front sight or not cutting the threads and permanently affixing a thread protector.

My issue with the thread protector is that I can never remove the gas cylinder. Anyone else consider these options? I am also toying with the idea of a dummy flash hider and loctite on the castle nut, which would require heat to remove but would not destroy the barrel.

I am also under the impression bare receivers such as an LRB is still legal to buy, anyone confirm this? Tried calling LRB but they are very busy.
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Registration is one option.

Storing them out of state is another.

But for keeping them in state, I've been trying to get an idea of what options are available, more of a smorgasbord. Nothing concrete yet, but I may seek some help from those more knowing than I.

If there's a way to make the magazine non detachable to the extent its considered a non detachable mag, then you can have all the evil features you want.

If there's a way to make the rifle non semi automatic, then all evil features are allowed too.

The new law bans FH, MB and threads. So you can't even put a dummy FH on the barrel unless the threads are taken care of too.

If the law stays in place, then it shouldn't be too hard to come up with viable parts to make them NY compliant.

But ..

What I'd love to see is a temporary workaround too; a way to avoid registration by making them not AW under the law, in such a way they are not mutated. My thinking here is if the law is challenged and it takes over a year, I'd like to have a way to comply with the law without committing an abomination on these beautiful rifles.

I'm probably going to hit up a few members local to me for some advice in a month or two.

· Registered
913 Posts
Registration is one option.

Storing them out of state is another.

But for keeping them in state, I've been trying to get an idea of what options are available, more of a smorgasbord. Nothing concrete yet, but I may seek some help from those more knowing than I.

If there's a way to make the magazine non detachable to the extent its considered a non detachable mag, then you can have all the evil features you want.

If there's a way to make the rifle non semi automatic, then all evil features are allowed too.

The new law bans FH, MB and threads. So you can't even put a dummy FH on the barrel unless the threads are taken care of too.

If the law stays in place, then it shouldn't be too hard to come up with viable parts to make them NY compliant.

But ..

What I'd love to see is a temporary workaround too; a way to avoid registration by making them not AW under the law, in such a way they are not mutated. My thinking here is if the law is challenged and it takes over a year, I'd like to have a way to comply with the law without committing an abomination on these beautiful rifles.

I'm probably going to hit up a few members local to me for some advice in a month or two.
You could pin the gas cylinder spindle valve closed and that would make it non-semi-auto, but AFAIK you wouldn't be able to possess a normal gas cylinder as that would amount to "constructive intent".

· Registered
33 Posts
You could pin the gas cylinder spindle valve closed and that would make it non-semi-auto, but AFAIK you wouldn't be able to possess a normal gas cylinder as that would amount to "constructive intent".
Its unclear if constructive intent exists in the new law or not. Given that most of the law was a cut and paste disaster that looks like a last minute college term paper thrown together after a night of binge drinking, who knows.

The time they have to amend the law easily is closing, so the less said on its mistakes the better.

There are some doozies in it. But nothing I will post on a public forum. Yet.

· Registered
4,021 Posts
Instead of thinking up ways to bugger up your M1As to make them compliant, use this time and energy to figure out the best way to just outright "derail" this law. These lawmakers know there is pressure on them, keep it up; in fact increase it. The best outcome is to just have the bill fail when it comes to a vote. dozier

· Registered
33 Posts
Instead of thinking up ways to bugger up your M1As to make them compliant, use this time and energy to figure out the best way to just outright "derail" this law. These lawmakers know there is pressure on them, keep it up; in fact increase it. The best outcome is to just have the bill fail when it comes to a vote. dozier
That would be the best case. Here's the reality.

New York State is dominated by the ultra left NYC. Most of NY is fairly conservative.

Under the law, we have one year to register the newly defined assault weapons. I think of that as a grace period.

It is extremely unlikely that the new law will be repealed, but anything is possible. I just wouldn't count on it.

The best chance is through the courts. Problem there is it will easily take more than a year to complete.

That means we're left with either registration, removing them from NYS, or making them compliant. It would really suck if people sold their rifles only to have the law overturned six months later.

That's why I think being able to comply is an important tool here. It allows people to legally comply without registration, thereby extending that "grace period" without breaking the law.

I see it as just one tool in the tool box, for a very specific purpose.

· Registered
61 Posts
As a complete and anonymous stranger on the internet I volunteer to store any person's M1A Rifle in my safe under the conditions that I can take it to the range. It will be properly treated and maintained while in my care. Pending the law being overturned it would be returned to the proper owner or I could purchase the rifle at fair market value - cost of my storage.

In all seriousness I hope everything works out for you guys up there.

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I'm thinking that cutting the flash hider and a quick tack weld on the castle nut to where it shoulders against the flash hider is the way to go.

Then if the law is repealed, overturned or amended I'm left with minimal damage.

· Registered
1,224 Posts
That would be the best case. Here's the reality.

New York State is dominated by the ultra left NYC. Most of NY is fairly conservative.

Under the law, we have one year to register the newly defined assault weapons. I think of that as a grace period.

It is extremely unlikely that the new law will be repealed, but anything is possible. I just wouldn't count on it.

The best chance is through the courts. Problem there is it will easily take more than a year to complete.

That means we're left with either registration, removing them from NYS, or making them compliant. It would really suck if people sold their rifles only to have the law overturned six months later.

That's why I think being able to comply is an important tool here. It allows people to legally comply without registration, thereby extending that "grace period" without breaking the law.

I see it as just one tool in the tool box, for a very specific purpose.
Keep in mind that Cuomo took a page directly from the passage of the Obamacare law. They didn't make it instant, they spread the pain over the course of a year expecting people to loose their steam and relent.

F.. them. I am planning to buy a house out of State and eventually leave this liberal cesspool.

· Registered
6,586 Posts
I'm thinking that cutting the flash hider and a quick tack weld on the castle nut to where it shoulders against the flash hider is the way to go.

Then if the law is repealed, overturned or amended I'm left with minimal damage.
dont do that, just go buy another barrel that complies with communist laws. springfield makes them for commiefornia...

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
dont do that, just go buy another barrel that complies with communist laws. springfield makes them for commiefornia...
Do they make a heavy stainless match barrel 1-12 twist...cus that's what's on my rifle.

This is a 16lb LRB M25 with a heavy Krieger and 3-20 Schmidt & Bender, no chance it ever sees a Springfield barrel.

· Registered
5,000 Posts
No, they don't. There is no such thing as a California barrel. California does not regulate barrels. Or bayonet lugs either...
They sorta do.

Can't have threaded barrels on certain firearms, barrels have to be a certain length, bayonet lugs are a prohibited component on an AWB.

· Registered
3,839 Posts
They sorta do.

Can't have threaded barrels on certain firearms, barrels have to be a certain length, bayonet lugs are a prohibited component on an AWB.
Argh. No offense sir, but as a resident you should at least read the laws.

Threaded barrels are not regulated, only what is threaded on (flash suppressor vs. muzzle brake.) EDIT: Correction, threaded barrels are regulated on pistols but not on rifles at all. Barrel lengths are not regulated other than to the same standards as the federal law (16" barrel minimum.) Bayonet lugs are not regulated at all in California on any firearm.

Springfield Armory does not offer and has no reason to offer a special California barrel for the M1A rifle.

California gun laws are bad enough without us assuming all sorts of things are illegal that aren't. Calguns.net is a great resource for simple summaries of the laws, as is the CA DOJ website.

· Registered
2,807 Posts
Any muzzle device is covered by the new unconstitutional law.
That's not correct. A Flash Suppressor or a Muzzle Brake is not allowed under SAFE 2013. You can attach a solid muzzle device, or "ornamental flash hider", such as the ones on Chicom rifles. They do nothing. But, I don't think the Loctite process will suffice. They changed the language so that it now looks like you cannot even have muzzle threads, so they may have to go. There may be a way out as that the M14 barrel threads were not designed to allow direct attachment of a FS. They are designed to accomodate a castle nut, so there is a technicality there. Hopefully, it can be interpreted that we can attach a solid FS, but do it with a castle nut.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.