M14 Forum banner

So much confusion in NY right now

12368 Views 37 Replies 26 Participants Last post by  tokiwartooth
Don't even know where to start here. What are fellow NY'ers doing about their rifles? Are you registering them? Under the new law if there is no muzzle device or threaded barrel then the rifles are not "assault weapons" unless of course you have a pistol grip stock. Anyway, I've been told there are several ways to become compliant either by cutting the threads and crowning the barrel and using a gas lock front sight or not cutting the threads and permanently affixing a thread protector.

My issue with the thread protector is that I can never remove the gas cylinder. Anyone else consider these options? I am also toying with the idea of a dummy flash hider and loctite on the castle nut, which would require heat to remove but would not destroy the barrel.

I am also under the impression bare receivers such as an LRB is still legal to buy, anyone confirm this? Tried calling LRB but they are very busy.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Registered
447 Posts
Locktiteing a dummy hider on will probably be fine (as long as you don't do anything stupid) or just cut the hider off to leave the sight.
Don't quote me but I'm pretty shure that because those treads are used to hold on the front sight and so long as you don't have any muzzle device on it could be argued that because those treads do something other than just hold a flash hider it should be fine to leave them on

Now I know for certain that becaus a bare reciver can't be an assault weapon by itself it is fine to buy and own so if I was you I'd buy em up

· Registered
1,606 Posts
I am taking the wait and see approach. Since the law doesn't require any real movement on things until 14 Jan 2014, we have plenty of time to see if it gets struck down in court and react to it. I will not have anything in the state that will have to be registered if that day comes.

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually like the idea of cutting the flash hider off and just keeping it as a front sight attachment. I will just use the loctite excuse because I refuse to register anything as well.

I'm not so sure anything will get through the courts fast enough, that is usually a slow, painful process.

· In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,869 Posts
You could do the red locktite on the thread protector. and just say it has to be removed with a torch.

i don't want to go into more detail in case they read this forum.

you can go a long time without pull off the gas cylinder. Just because it can't be removed does not mean you can't clean it.

Now that I think about it, If I were in NY i'd have the thread cut down and have a target crown.

· Registered
407 Posts
you folks in NY and CA really need to start considering some kind of "organized civil disobedience" and let these politicians know that they are the servants of the people, and not the other way around.....the second ammendment to the US Constitution is quite simple and clear as to it's meaning, not open to "interpretation"...as for the "militia" part, check out 10 USC 311, where you will find that "most", if not all of us ARE the "militia".....

5,633 Posts
Sadly, too many cops in Kalifornia are liberals (especially their leadership) so "civil disobedience" here wouldn't last too long I'm afraid.

As to NY mags... simply craft a wood bloc of some sort and use it as a stop. I'd purchase some new mag springs too and just cut those down to size if needed (keeping your original mag springs around for later use "just in case").

· Registered
700 Posts
Do what you think is right.

...even if that means never taking the rifle outside your house ever again, well, till the SHTF anyway.

Reactions: Ionian and dsdmmat

· Registered
63 Posts
Dont register anything until absolutely necessary, theres tons of oppostion to this law the fight isnt over. More than 20 counties have passed resolutions against it, and 20 more are pending. Theres going to be massive non compliance and they even said they expect it to be that way and that theres not much they can do about it.

Wait till the dust settles and relax, i saw people selling guns off 2 days after the bill which blew my mind. We all have a year before anything is even required and 10 rounders are allowed at ranges at full capacity supposedly.

Push your counties to pass resolutions if you havent, also theres a lawsuit pending that will truly determine what happens. No one likes to admit they made a mistake but they are definitely feeling the pressure, they went as far to try and use a union in the mayor/governor's pocket to anti rally against our massive one being held thursday.

Anyone on long island should pressure the counties execs, suffolk is close to proposing one whether itll pass i dont know.

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dont register anything until absolutely necessary, theres tons of oppostion to this law the fight isnt over. More than 20 counties have passed resolutions against it, and 20 more are pending. Theres going to be massive non compliance and they even said they expect it to be that way and that theres not much they can do about it.

Wait till the dust settles and relax, i saw people selling guns off 2 days after the bill which blew my mind. We all have a year before anything is even required and 10 rounders are allowed at ranges at full capacity supposedly.

Push your counties to pass resolutions if you havent, also theres a lawsuit pending that will truly determine what happens. No one likes to admit they made a mistake but they are definitely feeling the pressure, they went as far to try and use a union in the mayor/governor's pocket to anti rally against our massive one being held thursday.

Anyone on long island should pressure the counties execs, suffolk is close to proposing one whether itll pass i dont know.
One of the reasons why I don't want to cut the barrel and just use the cut down flash hider.

It's much easier and cheaper to install a new flash hider than a barrel.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.