M14 Forum banner

So How Did the Yankees Win the War???

6K views 102 replies 36 participants last post by  Stg1944 
#1 ·
One morning 3 South Georgia good old boys and 3 Yankees were in a ticket line at the Albany train station heading to Athens for a big football game.

The 3 Northerners each bought a ticket and watched as the 3 Southerners bought just one ticket among them.

"How are the 3 of you going to travel on one ticket", asked one of the Yankees?

"Watch and learn", answered one of the boys from the South.

When the 6 travelers boarded the train, the 3 Yankees sat down, but the 3 Southerners crammed into a bathroom together and closed the door.

Shortly after the train departed, the conductor came around to collect tickets.

He knocked on the bathroom door and said, "tickets please". The door opened just a crack, and a single arm emerged with a ticket in hand. The conductor took it and moved on.

The Yankees saw this happen and agreed it was quite a clever idea. Indeed, so clever that they decided to do the same thing on the return trip and save some money.

That evening after the game, when they got to the Charlotte train station, they bought a single ticket for the return trip, while to their astonishment the 3 Southerners didn't even buy 1 ticket this time.

"How are you going to travel without a ticket", asked one of the perplexed Yankees?

"Watch and learn," answered one of the Southern boys.

When they boarded the train, the 3 Northerners crammed themselves into a bathroom, and the 3 Southerners crammed themselves into the other bathroom across from it.

Shortly after the train began to move, one of the Southerners left their bathroom and walked quietly over to the Yankee's bathroom. He knocked on the door and said, "ticket please".

There's just no way on God's green earth to explain how the Yankees won the war.

See less See more
#12 ·
Actually that scene in Gangs of New York when the Irish were getting off the boat really happened a lot. First table you were given your citizenship oath, second table you joined the Army of the Potomac. Apart from that if an illegal wanted to fight to preserve the Union I'm sure they were not turned down.

Wish our current batch of illegals felt the same.

#18 ·
Abraham Lincoln being obviously the Northern leader, President of the United States, could no way permit the break up of the Nation and of course Jefferson Davis and his folks wanted no part of it anymore due to a host of reasons. From time to time we still hear those of various locations in the Nation that mention breaking away and would imagine the outcome would be the same, defeat and huge amounts of wasted lives and treasure. Won't mention any names but there are some areas speak of leaving the Nation and for me would not go to war over it, but would help them pack and wish them luck. Fortunately at this time many are still fighting the war of whatever description, but it is a war of words, no fatalities. Let's hope it stays that way.

#21 ·
Amen, I reenact the CW as a another major hobby in my life. Every time we go south to a major reenactment there are always some who are still "fighting the war" mostly in grey and butternut. The vast majority take it in the right spirit for the commemorative hobby that it is. Some of the best times at these big events is in the evening going over to the Johnny's camp and having some brews talking with fellow re-enactors from the south.

The war is over.

Regards,
Badger

#20 ·
If you don't think the war still rages just drive up to a shipping dock away from home with that Mississippi tag on your pickup & see if they don't want to fight the war all over again!
There are still those of us who would stand that long Gray line again if need be...

"We feel that our cause is just and holy; we protest solemnly in the face of mankind that we desire peace at any sacrifice save that of honour and independence; we ask no conquest, no aggrandizement, no concession of any kind from the States with which we were lately confederated; all we ask is to be let alone; that those who never held power over us shall not now attempt our subjugation by arms." President Jefferson Davis - April 29, 1861

"Even though we were not successful in our endeavors, let no man say we were not worthy of success" Robert E. Lee, 1865

#22 ·
I knew a school teacher (Mike) on the coast who does living history, from a horse! Once when making a charge his girth broke & him, saddle & carbine hit the dirt! Yall know that the carbine snaps onto a slide that runs up & down a strap from shoulder across to your belt. Well, he fell across his carbine & broke two ribs!USN3
When he came to there were several people there over him, in both colors. The Union soldier was telling how he had drawn a bead on Mike & when he fired Mike fell off his horse! Another wanted to know if he could have Mike's boots! All in good fun!USNA
Oh yeah, Mike didn't ride anymore skirmishes that day...USN2

#23 · (Edited)
The "War Between the States", has been over since the official close of hostilities in late 1866, with occupation lasting another roughly 10 years. Most folks here or any where in the good old U.S of A. really don't know why it was fought and at what cost.

We here in the South see it far differently than those of you in the north, in fact I believe a lot of the problems we have today stem from folks in California and New York, much like the folks in the northern states in the 1850s telling other folks what is/was best for them.

I am a firm believer that local government always knows what is best for its' people.

If you are a Southerner you believe in a strong local gov. and in the north a powerful central gov. and that is what the war of northern aggression was about.

Slavery was just the vehicle.

RenGI2

#24 ·
The "War Between the States", has been over since the official close of hostilities in late 1866, with occupation lasting another roughly 10 years. Most folks here or any where in the good old U.S of A. really don't know why it was fought and at what cost.

We here in the South see it far differently than those of you in the north, in fact I believe a lot of the problems we have today stem from folks in California and New York, much like the northern states of the 1850s telling other folks what is/was best for them.

I am a firm believer that local government always knows what is best for its' people.

If you are a Southerner you believe in a strong local gov. and in the north a powerful central gov. and that it what the war of northern aggression was about.

Slavery was just the vehicle.

I agree.

Chapter two of this conflict has already begun, we just haven't yet reached the shooting phase.

#42 ·
Well guys, this thread started off with a good joke. But if we're going to get into a serious discussion about slavery and the causes of the Civil War I think we need to start a thread in the Politics forum. It could become a very interesting thread.

#44 ·
High Hat!!! Great joke by the way!! You are quite right that this thread. It could get out of hand quickly.. Just by sitting down tonight and reading this you can clearly see the devision in our County still today.. Slavery and racism are wrong no matter how you look at it. We are a better nation because of that War!!!

But, we have a complete group of folks that totally believe in the Revisionist history that is being taught in our schools today, heck we even have college level students that don't know anything about December 7 1941 or what the branches of our government are and how they work!!!!! It just scares the heck out of me. Slavery, State Rights, Taxation were all in the boiling pot leading up to War!! And some of those exact things are still with us today!! Thats scary after 150 years.

Badger5th, when you get down South for the next battle come on over to the other side and I'll show you some go old Southern Hospitality... Just look up the counter battery fire thats coming your way!!! Well enough said, I'll quit now before I get myself in trouble

#50 · (Edited)
SIR: I hope this was in jest!!!! Because if not you just completely justified my earlier post.... We still want to say the Pledge of Allegiance To The Flag before school each morning, pray to Our Lord and Savior, and go to Church on Sunday for fellowship!!!

Now some of these very personal rights are being taken from us... Sounds a little like 1861 all over again if you ASK me...

Out....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.