M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the semi-auto version of the M-14 is called the M-1A , while the semi-auto version of an AK-47 is still called an AK-47?

I thought they (SAInc) couldn't call it an M-14 for some dumb ''full-auto'' reason.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I don't know of any civilian legal AKM, Milled, or Krink-style patterned rifles with a model name of AK-47. My authentic "AK" is still named SLR-107. My Yugo "AK" is named M70AB2. Romanian "AK's" are named WASR 10/63...etc.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Here's some typical responses I have with someone who knows a little bit about guns when they ask me what kind of rifle I have.

I have Springfield Armory M1A.

No, not a Garand. It's a semi-automatic commercial version of the M14.

It's called an M1A because Springfield Armory didn't want it looking like they were selling fully automatic weapons to the public, even though that's exactly what they did.

No, not that Springfield Armory, it's a different company that bought the rights to use the name.

No, my M1A is a semi-automatic only version.

No, it can't be converted to fire fully automatic.

Have you ever watched Gomer Pyle? Remember that rifle he carried at the beginning? It's that one.

No... it wasn't a Garand.

Okay, you're right. I have a Garand.

Sometimes I'll just say I have an M14, but there's always the guy who knows a little more than the rest and calls BS on that. Then I have to backtrack and go through the whole story.

It would have been a lot easier if I just got a Garand instead.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's some typical responses I have with someone who knows a little bit about guns when they ask me what kind of rifle I have.

I have Springfield Armory M1A.

No, not a Garand. It's a semi-automatic commercial version of the M14.

It's called an M1A because Springfield Armory didn't want it looking like they were selling fully automatic weapons to the public, even though that's exactly what they did.

No, not that Springfield Armory, it's a different company that bought the rights to use the name.

No, my M1A is a semi-automatic only version.

No, it can't be converted to fire fully automatic.

Have you ever watched Gomer Pyle? Remember that rifle he carried at the beginning? It's that one.

No... it wasn't a Garand.

Okay, you're right. I have a Garand.

Sometimes I'll just say I have an M14, but there's always the guy who knows a little more than the rest and calls BS on that. Then I have to backtrack and go through the whole story.

It would have been a lot easier if I just got a Garand instead.
Shoulda thrown an M1A1 'Paratrooper' carbine into the fun!

·
Godspeed Greyson
2,126 Posts
the semi-auto version of the M-14 is called the M-1A , while the semi-auto version of an AK-47 is still called an AK-47?

I thought they (SAInc) couldn't call it an M-14 for some dumb ''full-auto'' reason.
Once a weapon system proliferates to many makers, I just refer to the group as "M14 Type" rifles, or "AK" Type, etc. It becomes a type of gun and not so much a "model". It's all in the words....ha

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Once a weapon system proliferates to many makers, I just refer to the group as "M14 Type" rifles, or "AK" Type, etc. It becomes a type of gun and not so much a "model". It's all in the words....ha
Point of my original post; IIRC , back in the early days , there was some Federal law / BATF reg that prevented them from calling it an M-14.

·
Registered
7,339 Posts

Not all
Preban Norinco's are AKS

Preban Mitchell Import Yugo's are labeled as “RPK-47” or “AK-47” and command a premium $.

The Mitchell's AK's were forced to re stamp them to M90 after import laws changed.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
The AR before the model number stands for "Armalite Rifle" as far as I know.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
That was back in the day, ATF frowned on the military designation for civilian arms. You will notice everyone else calls it a M14, M14NM or some other military designator because that's what it looks like...
I call mine "Betty".

ICONWINK

Reactions: geeck

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,618 Posts
When showing rifles I build at gun shows I often hear attendees calling the rifles on display M1A even though most all of them are M14 rifles built on LRB and other receivers rather than Springfield Armory Inc. When I tell them the rifles are not M1As they obviously just don't understand the difference.

The M1A trademark was chosen to satisfy ATF requirements when Elmer Balance obtained the right to use the Springfield Armory name and approval to manufacture receivers. Since then the ATF has relaxed it's rules and virtually every other maker has used some form of M14 marking with the exception of those trying to work around some states AW restrictions and those producing receivers with features different than the standard M14, like the LRB M25.

It's not something to get ones shorts in an uproar over. They are what they are...

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
I think the media likes to use ak-47 when referring to rifles that look like them when they show up in the latest sensational tragedy or crime story because that model is an actual assault rifle.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Flintlock muskets were the assault rifles of their day, but no one ever called them that.

Henry repeaters were the assault rifles of their day, but no ever called them that.

Springfield '03s were the assault rifles of their day, but no ever called them that.

Now anything that looks menacing is an assault rifle.

I wonder when all sticks will become assault sticks? Then there can be a ban on sticks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.