M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't remember us ever discussing snake bites here, and since I have learned a lot in the past few days I thought I would share. sat 1500 hrs, thought I had been stung by a wasp or something. I was reaching behind my block pile in my shop for a small block when I encountered this little feller:

I musta poked him right in the nose because he popped me with one fang on my left index finger next to the nail. after 15 min or so I start to swell. did I mention this HURTS? I went to university medical center in Jackson, got there about 1630 hrs. if you have ever been to the er then you know it could be a long wait. but when you tell them you're snake bit then you go right to the back! so remember that when yall have your next car wreck, cut finger, broken bone, just throw "snake bite" into the list of symptoms & off you go! I get to the back to find I am snake bite # 6 for the week! then they start drawing on me, mapping the swelling progression. about this time the docs wanna know if I brought the snake with me & I tell them my wife has it in the waiting room. they go to get piks of it & then they find out it is still ALIVE & in a Tupperware container. now, if you ever want to clear an er of folks just break out a live copperhead & see what happens. (only quicker way I could think of would be to come out with an EMPTY container & say "well, he WAS right here a few min ago:USN2)

they are looking for the swelling to stop but it don't so about 2000 hrs they decide to give me the snake bite medicine, they have already gone to the zoo to pick it up. I get a tetanus shot & 4 bottles of the bite meds & they also start antibiotics. I have 3 ports in my right arm. the docs told me that the poisin constricts the blood vessels which causes the swelling, the meds counteract that & reverse it. but it is only temporary so at 2200 hrs I get 2 more bottles of bite meds. at 0000 hrs they put me in a room satisfied that the swelling is under control. oh yeah I forgot to tell yall this HURTS! about 0800 hrs sunday the team of toxicologists, doctors, interns, students, janitor all come in to give me an eval & decide I can go home at 1700 hrs if I continue to improve with antibiotic follow-up. so, I come home, sleep in the recliner the best I can & this morning the bite area has turned black & is traveling radially around my finger behind my nail. so I go see my family doc who confirms most of what I was told in Jackson except he wanted to lance the black swollen area, he was afraid it was full of puss. lucky it just had old bad blood in it. so I am recovering nicely (slowly) I posted this here cause we should all think about what we would do if this happened during SHTF. when I asked the docs about that they all told me there is no real treatment but medical treatment at a med facility. without the snake bite meds my arm woulda swollen to the point that the lack of blood circulation my have set gangrene in. they said in days past they woulda cut the sides of an extremity open to relieve the pressure- yech! if you have ANY allergies to meds I don't think you can take the bite meds. it was 1 1/2 hrs from my house to the hospital. my arm is swollen all the way up, across my armpit & into the lymph nodes, again told to be normal. while not on the same scale as CPW's ankle, this HURTS! yall watch where you poke your hands out there!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Thanks for the story, wow! I have only seen one snake bite in the hand like yours and the guys hand and arm turned black, ecck!

I bet your wife was the center of attention in the ER room......GI3

·
Registered
588 Posts
Take a shot of whiskey when you're able to and say a prayer.....I hope you feel better. It could have been worse i.e. crotch area, neck and head, or bitten your wife. I know you can handle it even though it hurts like Hell. So what happened to the Copperhead?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I can just picture the terror when they found out it was alive in the waiting area. That had to be priceless. Remember when the treatment was "cut and suck" along with constrict with the cutter snake bite kit.
I give my kids a summer safety class sort of like the old briefs we used to get in the military and we talk about this. Sometimes it just happens and there's nothing you can do about it. Glad you are ok!

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Take a shot of whiskey when you're able to and say a prayer.....I hope you feel better. It could have been worse i.e. crotch area, neck and head, or bitten your wife. I know you can handle it even though it hurts like Hell. So what happened to the Copperhead?
well, he's been on death row for two days but this afternoon I buried ALL THREE PIECES of him!USN2

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Thanks for posting about this. The lore is that the baby snakes have the deadliest venom.

I'm surprised about the storage of antivenom. If I was to ever get bit and be cashing out, I guess the thing to do is to go directly to a zoo instead of a hospital?

·
Banned
4,581 Posts
Thank you for posting about this incident. I'll add you to my growing prayer list..........

A few things to consider. Being that was a "baby" is there a possibility there are more on your property?

Relating this to a SHTF situation.... This could have proven to be fatal. It is going to be a challenge to many to "shift gears" when the SHTF. The old saying of "An ounce of prevention is equal to a pound of cure" comes to mind. Gloves will become a survival item and can be termed "an ounce of prevention".

Another good thought provoking post.

Thanks,

Hobo

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
Andy sure glad you made it out of this allright. Hobo has a good point if you see one small one, there's others about, they have lots of brothers and sisters & they don't travel long distances . Don't forget the bigger ones ,his parents are somewhere around there too. Get well soon.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Glad you survived.

Daring situation. Glad you did not loose any limbs over this. Of all the species out there, snakes scare me the most. I believe Copperheads are right behind coral snakes when it comes to poisonous in the South.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Glad to hear you are doing better and thanks for the heads up. We have a lot of rattlesnakes and copperheads in my area and sometimes I get complacent. I think the next time I go out to the woods the snake chaps will be on, I would rather be a little hot then snake bit.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.