M14 Forum banner

Snagged a Winchester Garand today. The Garands have landed!

4K views 53 replies 23 participants last post by  smoothy8500 
#1 ·
Wont see it for a bit, just won today on GB. CMP rifle with case, paperwork etc. SA barrel gauges +1 on both ends. Suspect not too many Win parts but the receiver is and looks pretty good, stock will probably need stripping, wanted a shooter grade and something to dink around with and this should fit.
Musical instrument Automotive tire Tire Wood Music

Inside the clip well I see a printed label with some what appears to be Danish on it with elevation numbers, so am wondering if it might be a Danish return, but dont see anything that would indicate that. Either way is OK by me.
I will of course have to wait upon receipt, the required 10 day jail period for this "assault rifle" before I can bring it home.
That makes 3 of the 4 makers, guess I will have to start looking for a Cornbinder now!

See less See more
#5 ·
Never had one in hand, but have seen several in pics, but never noticed anything plum on the receiver, not sure why they would though. As far as I know they didnt do anything to them other than rebarrel and restock some.
I cant tell for sure what kind of wood this one has, with all the old finish!

#7 ·
Yeah, the parts info was very skimpy but the listing had lots of pics and it being a CMP rifle with excellent barrel readings, made me think it was a safe bet. This one has a SA barrel and many I have seen are Danish VAR barrels which are said to be very good.

#10 ·
Don't hate me but my Winchester is a Hybrid BM59/Tanker, It has a BM59 gas cylinder so the op rod is straight but it uses Embloc clips. Its in a red laminated stock with a cut down M14 hand guard, the receiver had some fairly heavy pitting below the wood line. I am thinking about putting the BM59 bipod on someday.
Plant Wood Twig Tree Sleeve
Wood Publication Hardwood Auto part Metal

eQ

#16 ·
Just going by the GB pics, the color of this one looks like most seen, greyish park, slightly greenish, sort of thin, worn to some extent. Other thing I see is the ele notes in the clip well with ele numbers and the word Hohe, which means high or height in Danish and or German I gather.
On the ele knob I see an L and UX around the 9 and 10. I have not seen that before, but have read that its not common, though a GI part I guess.
Be fun to tear it down and see whats what with it. Be close to a month before I get it home!

#18 ·
OOPS!!! I did it again! Just won another Winchester M1 that I didnt expect to.. It was a tossup between this one and the first one, but I was afraid if I bid on this one first, I would miss out on both, it happens sometimes, so I bid on the first one and got it.
This other one closed just now and I bid in the last 15 minutes, got high bid and won it. Good grief!
This one may be the better buy too, but I wont know till I see them both.
Oh well, deciding which one to keep might be interesting!

#21 ·
Keep them both.

#31 ·
Got my Winny back in the late 1980's with the DCM. Took her for a spin a couple months ago.
View attachment 468225
Pretty sweet getting a Win from DCM.
My 1990 DCM was an H&R with new SA barrel and mostly SA parts, had a really nice walnut stock that just needed finishing. Used it to shoot matches with and cleaned up at the local Garand match with it.
Still have it.

#32 ·
Had a look at the first one today, it finally got here yesterday, took 12 days, via Fedex. Looks real good overall, bore is bright and clean as well as a CMP gauge of 1 on both ends so should be a good shooter. SA barrel, op rod and bolt. Trigger housing is WRA with a mix of parts.
Stock looks better in hand than in the pics oddly enough.
Must now wait 10 business days to bail it out of the mandated state pokey.
Second one should land tomorrow or day after, got here much quicker than the first.
Look forward to shooting them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.