M14 Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,703 Posts
I have old movie film drying cabinet that I am working on to convert to a smoker, its about 6 foot tall and 30" square with doors on both sides but it is only about 18-16 gauge sheet metal so it is not well insulated but it is have double wall construction on two sides but the inside has holes in it. I am trying to figure out how to use them to distribute the smoke more evenly, I am also trying to find a pellet smoker conversion unit to generate the smoke and heat, I would like to use one of these but I cant afford it.

https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/the-pellet-pro-18-hopper-assembly/

Casey

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
This weekend I'm putting together an impromptu going-away-party for a friend of mine. He's a fan of 'critter' (i.e., just about any meat), especially critter cooked Texas BBQ style, so I offered to smoke him a beef shoulder clod. He jumped at the offer. On top of it, he has a cousin who is a butcher, and he offered to ask his cousin if could procure the clod. Now, this will be the first time I've done a clod, and I don't have any butcher shop off the top of my head to procure one, so when my buddy said his cousin was a butcher, I was like "great."

So, my buddy's cousin dropped off the clod with my buddy yesterday. My buddy calls me, and tells me he's going to drop it by last night (I plan on beginning the smoke this evening). My buddy then says, "Oh, my cousin also dropped off a brisket. Wow... there's a lot of meat here!"

He wasn't kidding. 23lbs of clod and 13lbs of brisket. But it'll fit inside my smoker!

And oh, did I mention we're expecting a blizzard here starting in a few hours and going until tomorrow afternoon???

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
This weekend I'm putting together an impromptu going-away-party for a friend of mine. He's a fan of 'critter' (i.e., just about any meat), especially critter cooked Texas BBQ style, so I offered to smoke him a beef shoulder clod. He jumped at the offer. On top of it, he has a cousin who is a butcher, and he offered to ask his cousin if could procure the clod. Now, this will be the first time I've done a clod, and I don't have any butcher shop off the top of my head to procure one, so when my buddy said his cousin was a butcher, I was like "great."

So, my buddy's cousin dropped off the clod with my buddy yesterday. My buddy calls me, and tells me he's going to drop it by last night (I plan on beginning the smoke this evening). My buddy then says, "Oh, my cousin also dropped off a brisket. Wow... there's a lot of meat here!"

He wasn't kidding. 23lbs of clod and 13lbs of brisket. But it'll fit inside my smoker!

And oh, did I mention we're expecting a blizzard here starting in a few hours and going until tomorrow afternoon???

Love the smell of BBQ in a blizzard! It messes with the neighbors!

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Time to revive this thread. Have been smoking off and on. On Memorial Day, I did a tray of smoked pork belly burnt ends. Wow! Talk about rich!

In a conversation with my neighbor last week, he mentioned he was throwing a birthday party for his M.I.L. and was wondering if I could smoke up some meat. Sure! He got a taste of the brisket I did in January, and was hoping I could do that. Sure! Buy whatever you'd like and I'll smoke it, I told him. Spoke to him and today, and they decided to do two full packers. Party is next week. I'm already getting things in line so everything turns out great. Will post some photos when I get going on it.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Like your smoker Duce. Mine is like yours, offset. Can layout 9 racks of park tenderloin ribs or 18 if stacked. Also have done many of T-Day turkeys. Usually bright and sunny, 75 degrees here on T-Days. -Lloyd 🍻

Reactions: Duce

·
Registered
586 Posts
Two whole briskets, huh? 14 plus hours of fire/smoke watch. I don't know if I could do that task alone today, or want to without a fat cash incentive. I suppose a few hours in a oven with a automatic timer shut off instead of wrap and leave it in the smoker would allow you a few hours of shut eye. Then again you are only the help so after the task you could just go home and sleep. If I ever opened up a BBQ joint it would be open every other day or just Friday to Sunday.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Two whole briskets, huh? 14 plus hours of fire/smoke watch. I don't know if I could do that task alone today, or want to without a fat cash incentive.
You should have more neighbors like me. :)

Not everything we do is for the dollars and cents. Some of it is for the love the game. And I'll get a good meal (or two) out of it.

I suppose a few hours in a oven with a automatic timer shut off instead of wrap and leave it in the smoker would allow you a few hours of shut eye. Then again you are only the help so after the task you could just go home and sleep. If I ever opened up a BBQ joint it would be open every other day or just Friday to Sunday.
It will take an overnight smoke; probably throw them on around midnight. After about 8 hours or so, when they hit the stall, I'll wrap them and finish them in the oven. Set-it-and-forget-it at that stage. They should finish around 2pm, after which I'll rest them in a cambro for a few hours before the slicing begins. Can't wait!

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
So... it turned out to be a success. Unfortunately, I had my hands full and didn't take a whole lot of photos.

Started with two packer briskets, USDA prime from Costco..

Trimmed, salted and seasoned each. Went onto the smoker around midnight this past Tuesday. Using primarily cherry, with some white oak, smoked them @ 225F until about 9am when they had an internal tempof about 160F, at which time I pulled each, wrapped them in butcher paper/aluminum foil, and threw them in the oven @ 250F to finish. At 2pm, they were each done, so they were removed and set into a cambro to tent for a few hours.

When they were ready to be served, removed the paper/foil to reveal what was hiding beneath...

Then, the final test...

Perfect!

And quite tasty.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts