M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to reload for a M1A NM with SMK 175 grs, actually have been testing with Vithavuori N140, in order to avoid high pressure at the port, what brand and type of powder are suggested. Please consider that here I have some problem to find IMR or Hodgdon, would be easier with Vithavuori

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
N 140 is an excellent choice. I've used it in my M1As for pills ranging from 125s to 175s. Interestingly Sierra listed N540 as their accuracy load.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I spoke with someone at Vithavuori that highly recommended N-140 and I was also told that the N-5xx (including N-540) high energy powders are not designed for gas operated rifles and are not recommended for use in gas operated rifles. Sako uses N-140 in their factory loaded 308 Winchester ammunition.

·
Registered
975 Posts
From the Hornady service rifle load data for the 178 grain Hornady A-max bullet.

VIHT N-135 Start 31.4 / Max 39.4

VIHT N-140 Start 34.8 / Max 41.0

VIHT N-150 Start 34.0 / Max 42.0

Sako cartridge data shows a load of 41.6 grains of VV N-140 for a full power load with a 180 grain bullet in their factory loaded ammunition.

·
Registered
279 Posts
To bad your having trouble because the ideal powder in my book is RL 15 or Varget, I've never used VV other than in the 50 BMG. They have very good powder from what I've been told by the people who use it a lot, so I would not be worried about using VV powder just you'll need to find their best powder they offer for the job. B2B

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Powders

I agree totally, VV powders are the very best. Also kida pricy.
Having said that, Then I use RL-15 and Varget more for .308 AND .223.

Overall I think thats two powders that should be the mainstay of any reloading for thse two calibers.

One other note.
I ALWAYS buy the 8lb canisters of RL-15 or Varget.
There IS some differences in lots. Not enough to bother 100yd shooting but the further you shoot the more these differences come into play.

Use the same lot for as long as you can and redo your load calculations when you gat a new lot.

Gerry

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
For those of you who can get IMR powders, I think that 4064 is very good with the 175SMK.

4064 is fairly bulky (low density) so it fills the case to a higher % than some other powders - the 'high fill %' helps give more consistency in shot-to-shot burning and MV.

Downside of 4064 is that is meters poorly (crunchy) and it is best to weigh each load.... But the 175SMK is primarily for long range shooting where consistent MV is needed, and it is usually not necessary to load them in great numbers.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
For those of you who can get IMR powders, I think that 4064 is very good with the 175SMK.

4064 is fairly bulky (low density) so it fills the case to a higher % than some other powders - the 'high fill %' helps give more consistency in shot-to-shot burning and MV.

Downside of 4064 is that is meters poorly (crunchy) and it is best to weigh each load.... But the 175SMK is primarily for long range shooting where consistent MV is needed, and it is usually not necessary to load them in great numbers.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA
Jay.

I agree with you. I mentioned that I've used N140, but my go to powder with the heavy slugs, primarily the 185 Bergers, is the old standby - IMR 4064.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Over here IMR is more expensive than N140, actually I am using 4350 in my 30-06. Many shooter over here in winter move from N140 to N540-N550, because they say that with cold weather it is more constant, but I am not willing to make such move since they say that that type of powder increase barrel erosion.I will try to get some 4064 and make some tests.
Thanks guys

·
Registered
249 Posts
Are Alliant powders available? I believe they hail from Switzerland (at least RE-15 does), so it shouldn't be too hard. FWIW, it is the standard powder for M118LR.

·
Registered
975 Posts
IMR-4064 is one of the best choices if you can get it. RL-15 is the same powder as Swedish Norma 203b.

·
Registered
714 Posts
What about Accurate 4064?
I have 16 pounds all ready to go when my 4895 runs out?
I hear it's more like a short-grained Varget than IMR 4064 and should meter in my progressive system much better.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Are Alliant powders available? I believe they hail from Switzerland (at least RE-15 does), so it shouldn't be too hard. FWIW, it is the standard powder for M118LR.
Factually the new LRs are now loaded with 4064

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've always had problems getting enough 4064 in the Military case it want's to overflow the case, then your compressing the @#$% out of it seating the bullet... I avoid it and use RL-15 varget or 4895.. B2B

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
I've always had problems getting enough 4064 in the Military case it want's to overflow the case, then your compressing the @#$% out of it seating the bullet... I avoid it and use RL-15 varget or 4895.. B2B
That's strange...

I don't have that problem at all.GI8

·
Registered
277 Posts
Jay.

I agree with you. I mentioned that I've used N140, but my go to powder with the heavy slugs, primarily the 185 Bergers, is the old standby - IMR 4064.
I too use the IMR 4064 - Berger 185LRBT combo with great success.

I also have used 4064 and RL15 with the 175 NOS and SMK. I found that RL15 was cleaner on the gas system.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts