M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feller across the street had me do a bit of work in resizing and posting various pics so I figure its only right that I borrow one from his collecton to post here on an interesting piece of equipment ...

I notised that across the street he made the statement that he noticed a considerable "increase" in recoil with this added attraction if that means anything to ya ... :roll:

Anyhoos ... Here is a pic of the Smith Vortex FH ...

Six Out!

·
Forever Remembered - RIP
3,750 Posts
Is'nt this the the FS that's supposed to keep muzzle jump down? Could be more strait back push if thats the case. I wounder if the noise level increases as well.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha SixT:

If that is true, it's too bad. I think I would prefer something that would produce less to NO recoil, to get back on target quickly. Or to not lose the sight picture when shooting.

I would think that a Bush style rifle would especially want to have reduced recoil for quick shooting.

Nice pic though.

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sure that the smith vortex FH would have more recoil than a compensator especially on a scout barrel . The real question is how does it work hiding a flash on either a scout barrel or a full sized barrel.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
All the Vortex style flash hiders that I have seen worked especially well, actually the best I have seen are the Vortex flash hiders. However, since it is a "flash hider", it doesn't do as good as a job as a SA Muzzle Brake or a Smith Muzzle Brake at reducing recoil.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hi folks.

It is my understanding that the Smith muzzle break works to reduce recoil, but not necessarily flash, and that the Vortex does a great job at eliminating flash (has something to do with the likes of a tuning fork) but isn’t designed to reduce recoil/muzzle jump. I don’t understand how it could realy make the weapon kick any harder though.

I saw the pic SixT posted on the BR board and decided that is what my bush rifle is going to have. I think it looks great on the shorter barrel.

Best regards, T

·
Registered
37 Posts
The vortex works GREAT on an AR15, but I would suggest the newer design called the Phantom, which is really the Vortex with the splines attached at the tip. The tips of the phantom are also ground to a fine edge and would certainly work as a short bayonet. I have had both and like the Phantom better..it's also a wee bit longer but not by much. Don't know if a Phantom has been put on a M14 front sight assy or not but that would a great combo.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
My buddies and I have tested some M1A muzzle attachments at night in the desert. The Smith Enterprise Vortex flash hider totally eliminates all flash coming out of a M1A with a 22" barrel. For flash reduction on a M14 type rifle, it is the best hands down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts