M14 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys i am looking for suggestions on this...

I have a M1A Standard with a Smith Scope Mount. I shoot mostly Portuguese and PPU ammo. I average about 10 rounds before i get a stovepipe every time i go shooting. Essentially the bolt closes on the spent shell and does not lock into battery. Is this a problem with the rifle, scope mount, or ammo.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Is it grabbing another round and trying to load it before the spent shell jams things up? If so try taking a coil at a time off your ejector spring. This will make the shells eject to the right more than upward which sounds like what's happening.

If it's not trying to chamber another round there may be other issues going on that need to be addressed first.

Also does this one round happen at a particular point in the magazine, perhaps the first or last round?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply

There is always another round in the chamber ready to go. I do not think it happens in any particular place feeding from magazine....it seems very random.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Start with trimming the ejector spring then. Cut a coil, fire to check, repeat until it goes away. You may want to have another ejector spring handy in case you go too far...

·
Registered
468 Posts
Which side of the mount are your scope ring nuts on? Mine was hitting on the ring mounting nuts when I had them on the right side. I changed them to the left and it cured the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts