M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to speak with Bill at Smith Enterprise today and asked about the Crazy Horse configuration they are building for the Marines. Bill says he was sending me the information on it but this is what I can remember.....

G.I. Synthetic stock (no lugs or bedding), receiver is Melinite Heat Treated as are other parts and the gas cylinder. Gas Cylinder is Unitized and piston is hard chromed. Med weight N.M. Barrel chrome moly 22 inches, Vortex Direct Connect Flash Hider and Smith Gas Lock Front Sight. Trigger assy is tuned to 4 1/2 lbs. Smith Enterprise scope mount and rings. Leupold 40X3.5-10 scope. Package will shoot under an inch MOA. This is as close as I can recall........The older I get, the more I need to start writing things down as I am told :oops: .

I'll post the specs when I receive them from Bill if anything is different. He also said he'd send a photo. Coming by snail mail so don't know when.

Greg

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Re: crazy hoarse rifle

fran odonnell said:
great rifle ,one question ?is the medium weight nm barrel chrome lined oo not ?
NM barels are not chrome lined.

·
Registered
303 Posts
When I visited the shop in Tempe a couple weeks ago, Bill showed me an example of the rifle they were making for the Army. I thought he said it used a Wilson medium weight barrel that was chrome lined. I could be mistaken, however.

Chromed or not, it was a great looking rifle. I sure am glad to see the M-14 back in service. Anything is better than seeing these things cut into scrap!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steve k said:
I was under the impression when I talked to Ron that the barrel length was 18" :? The Barrel will also have a USGI stamp on it.
Tokarev said:
I thought the 18" was called the EBR, which is a different critter than the Apache or Crazy Horse.
Steve & Tokarev,
Yes, the EBR which they built for the Navy did have an 18" bbl. If the Crazy Horse has the same bbl it would only be different in that it sports a scope and mount. I'm pretty sure Bill siad a 22" on the Crazy Horse :roll: but could be mistaken :oops: . Since I usually have Ron build me a copy of everything they make, Bill said he would send me a package with pictures and the specs. Don't know how long before he ships it since they have been so busy.

Greg

·
Registered
303 Posts
The rifle I saw when I visisted the shop a few weeks ago had a 22" barrel on it and Smith's direct connect Vortex and USN front sight. The gun had a GI camou'ed fiberglass stock and a Leupold 3x9 on it. Bill called it the Apache and said they were making them for Army use in Iraq.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Are they converting M14s that the Army/USMC sends them, or are they building them up from scratch on new commerical receivers?

·
Registered
133 Posts
TEA wrote:

"Are they converting M14s that the Army/USMC sends them, or are they building them up from scratch on new commerical receivers?"
I met Bill the other day after work to take delivery of my latest build and he showed me a digital picture of the "Crazy Horse". These are issued M14s that they are rebuilding with new Wilson medium weight barrels, extended bolt stops, mellinite gas cylinders, chrome pistons, trigger jobs, new synthetic stocks (no bedding), etc. Bill told me that reports coming in from the field are claiming 3/4 inch groups at 100 meters.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
esskay said:
MsgtMaze said:
Yes, the EBR which they built for the Navy did have an 18" bbl.
Hi Greg,
I could have sworn reading that the EBR barrel was just under 18," 17.5"+ or so??
Esskay,
You are correct it's their 17 - 5/8" bbl. I have a bad habit of rounding things off :oops: . When the Smith Vortex flash hider is installed it rest about 1/16" from the Gas Lock Front Sight. If it were installed on a 18" bbl you would get 1/2" of bbl showing.....

Tokarev said:
The rifle I saw when I visisted the shop a few weeks ago had a 22" barrel on it and Smith's direct connect Vortex and USN front sight. The gun had a GI camou'ed fiberglass stock and a Leupold 3x9 on it. Bill called it the Apache and said they were making them for Army use in Iraq.
snayper said:
I met Bill the other day after work to take delivery of my latest build and he showed me a digital picture of the "Crazy Horse". These are issued M14s that they are rebuilding with new Wilson medium weight barrels, extended bolt stops, mellinite gas cylinders, chrome pistons, trigger jobs, new synthetic stocks (no bedding), etc. Bill told me that reports coming in from the field are claiming 3/4 inch groups at 100 meters.
Tokarev & Snayper,
That sounds exactly like what Bill described to me. I'll post photo's of it when Bill sends them.

Greg

·
Registered
303 Posts
I thought Bill called it the Apache but he might have called it the Crazy Horse. We talked about M14's, AR's, 700 Remingtons, and US and Chinese parts so the name of the rifle could have gotten mixed up with all the information Bill filled me with. If they are one in the same rifle, I apologize for any confusion I may have caused.[/quote]

·
Registered
133 Posts
Tokarev,

Don't worry.........during my conversation with Bill I kept referring to it as the "Iron Horse" :lol: . Bill just politely nodded in agreement as we talked. He probably thought I had the attention span of a gnat. 8O

Come to think of it though, "Iron Horse" is what I shall call the one Bill built for me. It has all the parts the Crazy Horse has except that it has a medium dark fiddleback walnut stock and a Douglas medium weight match barrel (Santa is bringing me the Leupold LR/T Mk4 though). :wink:

Oh yeah I forgot, I don't have a USGI receiver either.....just an LRB.

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,737 Posts
Crazy Horse

Ron was good enough to send me a couple of conversion parts sets for the Crazy Horse including the extended bolt lock. I'm waiting for a couple of short barrels so I can build up the rifles. Outstanding quality on the parts by the way!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.