M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the shot show, talked to Bill from SMith Ent.

He had a "Crazy Horse" medium weight barrel.

Does anyone have any experience with these barrels?

They seemed nice, price was right at $265.

Anyone, more info please.

FB

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
fastbanana, no one will have experience with that exact barrel because Smith Enterprise designed it for the Crazy Horse which was just delivered to the 2nd Infantry Divison and some other military units. It's a 1:10 twist medium weight barrel that is chambered for the M118LR cartridge. No other commercial entity has a M118LR chamber reamer. I do have one of these barrels though but it's not installed, yet. ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
If it is chambered for M118LR how will it perform with, say, standard Port, South African, or other mil surp or commercial grade loads? I believe these Crazy Horse bbls are made by Wilson and I wonder how much more accurate they are than the Douglas medium weights.

·
Banned
2,159 Posts
Well Mr Phil, it's 21-1/4" long, 1-10 or 1-11 4 groove.
I didn't shoot the rifle at the range to see what it would do.
I suspect it wouldn't be any better than the Barnett Douglas barrel though.

Maybe we'll see a range report from the owner.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Fastbanana,

I will let you know as Bill at Smith Enterprises is building a Crazy Horse for me which should be ready by this Thursday/Friday. It is being chambered for standard military and match loads not the M118. He guarantees it will shoot less than 1 MOA at 100 yds with iron sights. This will have a unitized cylinder, chrome piston, fibreglass stock, NM trigger job, NM reemed USGI f/h (which I prefer over the Vortex), Smith mount and rings, and a Leupold Mk4 3.5-10x40 LR/T IR scope. I'm hoping with the scope, I can double up on those holes. 8)

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Phil, I asked Ron Smith your question in my 10/28/04 interview with him. He said the Crazy Horse barrel shoots M80, M852 and M118LR all very well. He also told me it was a 1:10 twist with four grooves.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
I received a report yesterday while I was in Baltimore on the Crazy Horse. I don't know if the source will allow me to say who he is but a civilian owned SEI Crazy Horse shot a 0.8 MOA five round group on 02/16/05 in Arizona. The source is impeccable. I'm trying to find out what ammo was used. This was without the SEI suppressor attached. It sounds bad for my check book. :lol:

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Sound's like a winner to me Lee I'm getting ready to build a new LRB all TRW the old armscrop my get a face lift soon allso :lol: thank's for the report.

·
Banned
3,070 Posts
Different said:
I'm trying to find out what ammo was used. This was without the SEI suppressor attached. It sounds bad for my check book. :lol:
Thank you for passing on the information I am very interested in what you find out about the ammo. The suppressor does seem to tighten groups a bit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.