M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a bush rifle with a SEI coast guard break and 3500 rounds down..Today I stripped it down and did some maintenance..I noticed on the crown there were 2 shiny spots and the crown mostly were it was flat before the taper. I looked at the break and there were 2 shiny spots there as well. Is this going to affect my accuracy? Does this mean my castle nut is too snug and should i back it off. I can take some pics to better explain. pics added below
Thanks
Kris

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,621 Posts
Contact is required between the barrel muzzle and the the corresponding inside face of the muzzle devise whether it is a GI flash suppressor or a after market unit like the Smith break. The military used a special facing tool #7799721 to insure a perfect fit between these parts.

It sounds like your rifle may not have a perfect fit since there are two shinny spots indicating it doesn't have full engagement. I would suspect the muzzle devise is the culpret.

Be aware that this can effect the accuracy of your rifle.

G

·
I have a bush rifle with a SEI coast guard break and 3500 rounds down..Today I stripped it down and did some maintenance..I noticed on the crown there were 2 shiny spots and the crown mostly were it was flat before the taper. I looked at the break and there were 2 shiny spots there as well. Is this going to affect my accuracy? Does this mean my castle nut is too snug and should i back it off. I can take some pics to better explain.
Thanks
Kris
Don't know what could cause this. We know you have our break, what barrel do you have? Can you take a clear picture of the muzzle and post it?

G

·
From the pictures It looks like a problem with the face or crown of the muzzle. The second and fifth picture shows it the best. the actual 3 and 9 o clock of the muzzle does not look right either lousey crown or it got dropped and dinged. someone else might be able to see something different here.

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,621 Posts
Thanks for the pictures. It is also possible that there may have been some carbon or something else that migrated in there and caused uneven contact. At eny rate, it doesn't look too serious.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies..prior to the break being put on approx. 1k rounds the shiny wear marks were not present, when I removed the the break there was a good amount of carbon that I scraped from the break I think that could have caused it. Should I have the crown redone?..I have used this rifle in quite a few shooting events and it shoots is very well I really hate to mess with it. I guess I will keep shooting it and check the carbon build up.
Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.