M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldnt pass up a deal on a 629-2, 6". Ive been doing some research about it, and from what ive read, you would think anything over a 44 special load will kill this gun within 100 rounds,( a bit of an exaggeration), but you get the idea. What are experiences of folks that have, or do own or owned said handgun. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
I'm quite sure it would take several thousand rounds of super hot 44 Magnum to harm a 629. The dash 2 does not have all of the enhancements of the dash 4.GI5

Reactions: hammer 1

·
Registered
946 Posts
if I recall correctly, John Ross was getting 20,000 rounds of use with his heavy/hammer loads before his (early) Model 29's would start getting loose.

http://www.john-ross.net/heavymag.php

As a general rule, unless you live to shoot/reload nothing but heavy loads/bullets, you don't need to worry about it.

I doubt you could wear out ANY Model 29/629 in a lifetime shooting factory .44 mag level loads, especially the later generations.

Finally, while a box of factory-level (I don't think I have every actually bought a box of factory .44 mag in my life!) is fun every once in a while, 99% of what I shoot are cast lead .44 specials (loaded around 800 fps) and .44 mag at around 1000fps (which is still plenty of whack!). At this level, my 29-2 should last (essentially) forever.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
44 special is a weak sister.

Should not hurt a thing.

Think of shooting a 22short in a 22LR
I don't know. A 185 grain .44 caliber bullet lumbering along at 1,050 fps might be capable of hurting something.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Don't know what year your -2 is, but if very early, make sure it does not have -1 traits. If it does, reconsider what your doing with it, because it is very $.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I've had a 629-4 for many years, it's handled normal factory loads just fine. I have a pair of Ruger Old Model Vaquero's for shooting hot loads like Buffalo Bore & the like.

Reactions: stoky

·
Premium Member
4,684 Posts
I do not have a 629 but do have a 29-2...... It has rebated cylinders and pinned barrel. Did the "6" models come along while they still made the guns with rebated cylinders and pins? While I am not an S&W knowledge base, I do have a few of them .... Doesn't the "6" just indicate stainless steel?

·
Banned
4,039 Posts
hammer1, something to think about. The 44mag in a CARBINE actually DOES DO what some think it will do in a pistol. Sometimes the carbines are even cheaper than the handguns.

Check out the Rossi, Ruger and Marlins. They handle really quick and actually do what most think the pistols do.

·
Banned
4,039 Posts
I do not have a 629 but do have a 29-2...... It has rebated cylinders and pinned barrel. Did the "6" models come along while they still made the guns with rebated cylinders and pins? While I am not an S&W knowledge base, I do have a few of them .... Doesn't the "6" just indicate stainless steel?
Please correct me if I am wrong, but....

6 = stainless frame
4 = aluminum frame ie...the 439 autos they used to make or still do.
3 = Scandium (whatever that is?) Thank you leonardc
I don't remember any others

I do not think they have a special designator for nickle or blued steel.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I have a 44 mag Stainless Dan Wesson and 2 629s....4 inch and a 6 inch. For the REALLY heavy stuff over 240 grain...it's Dan Wesson all the way. For normal 44 mag and 44special I use the 629s. (and a 44 German Reichs revolver pistol as seen in my Avatar...to shoot .44 Russian loads. I hand load all 3 loads and tend to down load most of the time).

All guns working fine.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Destroying Smith 44's with heavy loads is kinda like the pie in the sky: everybody claims it is a common thing but to find someone who's actually seen it is a wonder indeed.

The long range metal shooters(you know, the guys who loaded 500grain slugs and 75 grains of Bullseye) reportedly had big problems with the guns sooooooo the endurance package came along and later spot hardening and internal changes so that the cylinder didn't unlatch during super heavy recoil. The newer guns may be better longivity wise than the older ones but if you've got the patience and remaining nerves in your hands to find out you're a better man than 99% of the rest of us.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I've only had one, a 629 with a 3" barrel. It was a good carry piece but was hard on the hand ,numbing, so it went down the road, when I was a young shooter and was green around the ears I had someone load 11 grains of unique behind a 250 grain bullet for my S&W 25-5, I junked that N frame with 2 cylinders full...Dumb....

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've only had one, a 629 with a 3" barrel. It was a good carry piece but was hard on the hand ,numbing, so it went down the road, when I was a young shooter and was green around the ears I had someone load 11 grains of unique behind a 250 grain bullet for my S&W 25-5, I junked that N frame with 2 cylinders full...Dumb....
DSC, I have a 6" 25, I love the 45 colt, my load is 255 gr swc over 9.5 grs of unique, gives me 1020 fps out of my pistol. Thats plenty of power, I had a anaconda in 45 colt that would handle the blackhawk loads. I used to run265 gr lbtwfngc at around 1200, I have a cimmoron92 replica that can do Ipressive things with that load

·
Registered
691 Posts
I've owned a 629-1 for years now. shot mostly midrange loads, it's still tight as new. their not as strong as the later versions, but will still last longer than your hand with heavy loads.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
The 629 "no dash" had a pinned barrel and recessed cylinder. It corresponds with the 29-2 serial numbers starting with "N" (IOW 6" vs. older 29-2 with 6-1/2"). 629-3 has the full "endurance package" like the 29-5 IIRC.

Here's a reference which appears to be very thorough about Smith & Wesson .44 revolvers:
http://www.sixguns.com/range/SmithWesson44Mag.htm

1 - 20 of 25 Posts