M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that when loading for Auto's a person needs to use a Small base die when resizing the cases. I took my mic to a case ran through a small base die and one ran through a full leangth body die and could not find where either differed enough to warrent buying another die set just for my Auto. Is there something I am missing here???

·
Premium Member
15,919 Posts
Full length sizing dies are just fine for almost all auto loaders. On occasion, a rifle with a very tight chamber shows up and may require small base sizing, but very rare. RCBS full length have worked on all of the 30 plus .308 rifles I have had over the years. I did experiment with SB X dies a few years ago but didn't find it work while for my applications.

·
Registered
407 Posts
SB Dies originally were designed to push the shoulder back by about .001 beyond the FL Sizer Die and slightly squeeze the body smaller than a FL Sizer. Hence, a case which had been through a SB Sizer would be very slightly larger than or the same as SAAMI Specs of a particular case.
Back in the '70's and early '80's most of the reloading books all recommended an SB Die for gas guns.

·
Registered
5,568 Posts
I use a small base die for all of my semi autos. Never had any problems.

Reactions: SGT John SWF

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I started with a RCBS full length sizing die & never had a problem.

As I got more meticulous about my case prep, I got a Redding body die that sizes the body and sets the shoulder. (headspace) I neck size in a separate operation. Never had a problem with this method either.

I am sure some tight chambers need the SB dies though.

To each his own.

Silver

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
Full length resizer and a case gauge. Foolish to reload for the M14 with anything less.

·
Registered
892 Posts
SB Dies originally were designed to push the shoulder back by about .001 beyond the FL Sizer Die and slightly squeeze the body smaller than a FL Sizer. Hence, a case which had been through a SB Sizer would be very slightly larger than or the same as SAAMI Specs of a particular case.
Back in the '70's and early '80's most of the reloading books all recommended an SB Die for gas guns.
Very true about the RCBS, SB Dies

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I have a tight match chamber and I use redding full length dies. Never had an issue.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Clearly there is only one choice!

Reactions: dwight55

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
SGT,

Would you care to share with us what you think that only one choice is?

Not so clear to me what you are saying.

Silver
Chevy or Ford or in other words what ever works for you!
Is a SB Die necessary for every body? No. Does it work for every body? I can't say but I don't see why not.
I had one (a SB) from a person I reloaded for. I just used it an there it is.
If a FL works in a certain Rifle than Great. If it does not and a SB is needed than great. Some experts say SB and some say FL!
There is no answer to this question as long as every chamber out there is not the same size.
So Like i said the answer is clearGI3
Just use either what works for you or who's post you believe.
PS
Hey Squid I like WiseGI2

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Chevy or Ford or in other words what ever works for you!
Is a SB Die necessary for every body? No. Does it work for every body? I can't say but I don't see why not.
I had one (a SB) from a person I reloaded for. I just used it an there it is.
If a FL works in a certain Rifle than Great. If it does not and a SB is needed than great. Some experts say SB and some say FL!
There is no answer to this question as long as every chamber out there is not the same size.
So Like i said the answer is clearGI3
Just use either what works for you or who's post you believe.
SGT,

That clears it up.

Well spoken I might add.

Thanks,

Silver

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Chevy or Ford ...
Hey Squid I like WiseGI2
Like you said...USNA

PS - I think that must be east of the Mississippi cause they don't allow that cheap stuff in KakifornicatoriaUSN2

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Like you said...USNA

PS - I think that must be east of the Mississippi cause they don't allow that cheap stuff in KakifornicatoriaUSN2
I grew up with Wise. The OWL.

Couldn't get them in CA or CO. Can't get them in AR either.

They still as good as in the old days?

Silver

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
I forgot to say some people like 9MM and some .45 LMAO

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
.41 Mag is way better than .44 Mag...I mean to say
Some people like SB and some FL!

All kidding aside I'm sorry we are not helping the New Guys here LOL.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts