M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just how necessary (if at all) have most reloaders found it, for M14 rounds? I've been small base resizing for mine, whereas I don't for my bolt gun, but after careful measurement with calipers at multiple points along the case length, I don't see more than a couple of thousandths difference. I was depriming and resizing a new batch of once-fired LC brass today, and as a comparison, I used a standard RCBS full size .308 die and resized ten cases. I took careful measurements of the diameter at points 0.3, 0.5, 1, and 1.5 inches from the face of the case head.

I then resized 5 cases using my Redding SB sizing die and measured in the same areas; then I took five of the regular sized cases I had done, and ran them through the small base die.

The only place I expected to see any difference in measurements was at the .0.3 and 0.5 inch areas, and I wasn't surprised. But I was surprised that the difference was typically less than 0.0015 between the regular, and small base sized cases. The cases I sized first with the regular die, and then ran through the small base, were no different than those only resized with the small base die.

Is that to be expected between standard and small base sizing, or is my small base die not doing what it should be, or is this very small difference sufficient for the extra "space" that small base sizing gives for easier chambering on a semi-auto action?

I've had no issues with chambering any of my reloads in my SAI rifle using the small base die, nor with any WCC factory loads, or with maybe 20 Federal rounds I used the first time I shot the gun. It's eaten everything I've fed it without complaint.

It's just takes a whole lot more elbow grease to SB size these LC cases than standard sizing, and if SB sizing isn't really any advantage, I'm gonna stop doing it.

Late edit: mine is a Standard M1A

·
Registered
311 Posts
Most of our factory rifles with standard cut chambers dont require sb dies. But in some cases some custom tight chambers may need sb dies. My m1a has a match barell and still uses normal sizing die

·
Registered
9,999 Posts
I always recommend to start with a standard die and as long as you don't have problems with chambering then carry on. If you have some issues with chambering then try the small base die.

I use a small base die with my loaded model rifle because it actually gives me better groups and I've actually had some problems with chambering when I used a standard die. On the other hand, I can actually get away with using a neck die for my SOCOM and still get reliable functioning and accuracy. In the end I just stick with the SB die so that I produce generic ammo that can be used with all of my rifles.

Every chamber is a little different and every person uses slightly different reloading processes so what ever works, stay with it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts