M14 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a giant pile of 7.62 Lake City brass for cheap. Every piece has a small ding on the side in the same place up by the neck. I'm thinking they were full auto cases. Anyway when I resize and trim them with my Lee full length resizer, they will freely drop right in my Wilson case gauge. But if I lay a straightedge across the top of the gauge you can see that the head is up probably .010" inch above the gauge. So to me these rounds would cycle ok in my NM M1a but the headspace would be way off. When I resize and trim a piece of brass I shot out of my guns and put them in the case gauge they are usually around .040" below the upper shelf surface on the gauge. Sooooooo here's the question, do I need to buy a small base die (will a small base die make any difference) or send this brass back for a refund, or use I it as is. Thanks Major T

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
If the head of the case sits above the highest step of the gauge then the head space is too long.

As the Wilson instructions state;

Resized case should be checked in the gage.

If the headspace is over maximum, screw the die a little farther into the press, so the case will be pushed in farther, and resize again. Continue this until the case shoulder has been pushed back far enough to allow the head to drop below the upper step of the gage. If it pushes the shoulder back so far that the case head registers below the lower step, back up the die to correct it on the next case.

·
Registered
10,916 Posts
Sometimes LC brass needs to resized twice on the first go-round, before trimming. That is, full length size, give the brass a 1/4 turn in the shell holder and size again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But when you put the die into the press you already add 2 turns of the die into the ram. Adding anymore turns won't make any difference. I wonder if they mean turning the screw on top of the die?

·
Premium Member
4,812 Posts
Will the cases fall into your chamber? Them falling into the Wilson gauge sounds like the diameter of the case is OK, from that, a small base die is not needed. Sounds like the die is either #1) not setting the shoulder back far enough, or #2) you are pulling an expanded ball back through the case necks and that is stretching the cases back out. Things to try: #1) turn your sizer die down into the press another turn and give it a try. or #2) take the expanded ball out of your die, re-size a case and measure it.
Let us know if any of that helps.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
The screw on top of the die adjusts the position of the de-prime pin and the neck expander ball.

The case headspace is adjusted by how far the main body of the die is screwed into the press.

Size a case, and with the ram fully UP, look to see if there is gap between the top of the shell holder and the bottom of the die. If there is a gap, then the die can be screwed lower into the press - and that will push the shoulder back further and reduce the case headspace.

If there is a lot of drag pulling the expander ball UP and OUT of the case neck, then use a little lube on the inside of the necks when doing the resize. I use a Q-tip.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
When you set up your resizing die, raise the ram all the way up and screw the die down until it touches, then lower the ram and turn die a little more so when the ram is raised it has to cam over, then you know you have pushed the shoulder back.
Bob

·
Registered
632 Posts
Tom, Kurt was saying turn the brass in the shell holder not the die.

Size twice.

I lower the ram/pull case out of die about an inch.
Turn the brass 1/4-1/2 turn. (I go 180 degrees).
Size again.
Then lower ram and pull shell over expander button.

You don't need a small base die.

Edward

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok guys thanks! You helped me a ton. I lowered the die some, ran the case in the die twice turning it in between, now she sets level in my case gauge. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
When you set up your resizing die, raise the ram all the way up and screw the die down until it touches, then lower the ram and turn die a little more so when the ram is raised it has to cam over, then you know you have pushed the shoulder back.
Bob
Yep, cam that sucker over. I had to cam my sizing die over 3/4 of a turn for nato to fit in to my guage. Nato brass harder to size than .308

Do 1/4 turn of the die at a time. Then guage. Doesn't fit?...another 1/4 turn(now half turn total). Guage. Etc.

Full length sizing dies are fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts