M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm new to the forum and have been collecting parts for my first build for along time now. I don't make tons of $, so I get something for the project 1-2 times a year as I do spend $ on other toys "for the safe". I am down to mostly small stuff at this point, So I have a question for how I might go about the build.
I have someone (wellknown)in mind for the build, but they do not do all the things that I want.
What would be your thoughts on me getting one guy to build the gun,and later have another guy(highly recommended) do the mods, or just have one person build and do mods I want at one time?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Being retired, I'm in the same boat. I've got my CMP kit and now saving for the build. I'm going to go with just one well known builder on the board and have him make the changes that I want while his is building the rifle. I think in the long run you will save money. Just my thoughts.

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
As long as both guys know what they're doing, you can have one guy build it and the other modify it.

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
If your goal is accuracy, I suggest having one person do as much of the build as possible. Save the mods for after the rifle is 100% reliable and accurate thru the original builder.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your goal is accuracy, I suggest having one person do as much of the build as possible. Save the mods for after the rifle is 100% reliable and accurate thru the original builder.
Yes,but the Mod is Unitizing the gas cyl.

After reading some posts on here,it seems as though that should be done when you bed to the stock.

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Yes,but the Mod is Unitizing the gas cyl.

After reading some posts on here,it seems as though that should be done when you bed to the stock.
If you are going for a super accurate (sub moa) build, then yes, it should be unitized according to fit against the final bedded stock. Otherwise, you can have the parts unitized ahead of time and sent along for the initial build.

Unless you are a top shooter, you probably won't notice the difference.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I do expect it to shoot sub moa. And after the amount of money I have spent so far in Top Shelf parts, It had better Damn well shoot Sub MOA! Like I said, I don't have money layin around to just buy everything I need all at once, but when I get enough for a particular part, I get the good stuff! ;)

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Yes, I do expect it to shoot sub moa. And after the amount of money I have spent so far in Top Shelf parts, It had better Damn well shoot Sub MOA! Like I said, I don't have money layin around to just buy everything I need all at once, but when I get enough for a particular part, I get the good stuff! ;)
Then I would suggest having the build done without the unitzed gas cylinder. Have it done after the stock is bedded, if needed.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
the question is can you shoot sub MOA? if not those mods are just a waist of money. not trying to be a jerk as Im not even capable of sub moa shooting unless its at 100 yards with sandbags and a bolt gun with a powerful scope. i hope you get what im saying. im happy with my m14 if they can shoot 2 moa from the positions I shoot using irons and i have a ton more practice to get to the point i want to be and ive been shooting for years.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought I read a post from Gus Fisher on that, and I think he said it should be done with a bedding job or it could possibly add stress to the barrel (if I read it correctly).
Sorry, not trying to be a PIA, just trying to understand.

I may not be able to pull all the accuracy out of the gun, but I would still like it to have the potential. And I just want to get it done right.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
From my experience -

One owner
One gun
One builder
One box of parts to the builder (Builder furnishes all other needed parts)
One written list of what your expect the build to do when completed (include with parts).

It sounds really simple doesn't it. Keep all required communication one on one (owner/builder) during the process. Never go through the girl in the office or your wife to give directions or answer questions.

A face to face meeting with the builder when the parts are delivered is advisable as well as a face to face when the unit is completed.

Did mention clear communication?..... LOL

Hobo

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
I thought I read a post from Gus Fisher on that, and I think he said it should be done with a bedding job or it could possibly add stress to the barrel (if I read it correctly).
Sorry, not trying to be a PIA, just trying to understand.

I may not be able to pull all the accuracy out of the gun, but I would still like it to have the potential. And I just want to get it done right.
It has always been my understanding that in order to get perfect downward draw on the barrel, you bed the stock first. You then adjust the front band according to the stock ferrule and unitize it to the gas cylinder.

I you start with a unitized front band, it might not be in perfect alignment with the bedded stock. This could create downward draw towards 5 or 7 o'clock instead of 6.

Again, we are really splitting hairs here. Most of us will never know the difference until we get to the 1000yd line.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I think this is an example of an un needed mod, Unless you are a 1K yard comp shooter, I don't think you'd notice the difference between unitized or not. The rifle is designed to shoot something like 6" at 600 yards STOCK

Regardless id have the build done by one person, then shoot it and break it in before any mods

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Regardless id have the build done by one person, then shoot it and break it in before any mods[/QUOTE]

I do like the 1 person build philosophy better myself, but If I wait to do "any" mods until broken in, then Have I not already wasted money on my accuracy parts?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks a lot for all your help and advice guys. much appreciated. This site ROCKS. I've been learning a lot.

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Regardless id have the build done by one person, then shoot it and break it in before any mods
I do like the 1 person build philosophy better myself, but If I wait to do "any" mods until broken in, then Have I not already wasted money on my accuracy parts?[/QUOTE]

Possibly. The "build" is just as important as the "parts" if going for accuracy. There are "Standard" SAI rifles, full of loose fitting cast parts that everyone thumbs their noses at, that shoot sub moa right out of the box. Sometimes the planets line up and everything comes together. Others spend $3k buying USGI parts and the rifle still shoots like a 3 moa service grade rifle.

I've seen crappy 3 moa rifles get dropped into a JAE stock and suddenly shoot sub moa.

The bottom line is that different things work for different rifles. There is no telling what the magic part or technique will be until you start putting rounds downrange and see what works and what doesn't.

At this point, I'm curious to know what parts you have collected for your build. RNGR1

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
If I understand this correctly, he will build, and bed, but not utinize the gas cylinder. Is that correct? Will he shim the gas cylinder when he builds?

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Yes ,I believe he does shim.
Have it built with just the shims. It may shoot beyond your expectations. If it doesn't, you can always have it unitized later. Unitizing isn't "mandatory" for accuracy. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not. If not indexed with the stock ferrule, it can be detrimental.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts