M14 Forum banner

Slotted/Ventilated Handguard

1820 Views 7 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Oryguner
I'd like to put a slotted/ventilated handguard on my Polytech. Does anyone know who sells them, or are they difficult to come by?

Also, I'd eventually like to have an USGI bolt fitted to my rifle, but would like to keep it in-state, if possible. I live in upstate NY and would be willing to go just about anywhere here to get the work done. Even Northeastern Pa. would be OK. Anyone know of any competent gunsmiths in NY with M1A experience?

Thanks in advance for the help.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
967 Posts
You might PM Hawk he would know the neighborhood there. I got a
slotted handguard on an Armscorp rear lugged rifle on a trade
yesterday, they show the top of the barrel quite well.
I believe the gorment got rid of them because they cracked
from the heat and created quite a mirage over the barrel.

2ba

· Registered
822 Posts
I got my slotted handguard from CMP a few years ago and just purchased another couple from Freds (where else) in the past year or so. All were new.

The Army got rid of them because they were fragile. I like them because the rifle cools more rapidly after rapid fire. Unless you're shooting the National Match course I doube the heat shadows will bother you.

-- Chuck

· Read Only
2,292 Posts
Yes, SAInc has them - that's where I got mine last year and like it LOT more than the non-slotted. (~$9?)
1. The rifle cools faster.
2. I have no idea what this "mirage" problem is. It might be an issue if looking through a scope on a totally windless day, but it is NOT a problem when looking through a peep sight, or on a typically windy day like we have here.
3. I have beat mine around quite a bit and it hasn't broken.
4. It looks great! Much nicer color match to the wood stock and parkerized metal than the light brown plastic-looking standard one.

· Registered
392 Posts
With regards to the heat boil, it depends on how cold it is.
It's easily visible below 20 deg. in dry air across the iron sights. The non-slotted handguard helps but isn't a complete fix either.
I notice heat boil less in hot weather. That's when a little extra barrel cooling might be good.

geiman

· Registered
708 Posts
Slotted handguard

I just HAD to use one so I could see the cool Winchester logo on my GI barrel! :D I like the look of the slots and I'm not going to war with my rifle so durability is not an issue. I'm also not engaging in rapid fire on a regular basis so the mirage from a hot barrel is also not a problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.