M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
The leather shooting slings are only worth it if you are going to shoot in position (prone, sitting). If you are shooting off a bench or standing, you don't need one.
If you get one, spend the money on a good one like a Turner.

If you just want a sling, get a canvas OD Garand sling. It is probably not 'correct' (maybe nylon would be correct?) but serves the purpose nicely. I have shot many a Garand match with a nice canvas sling.

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
In the mid to late 70's our field stocks had nylon or cotton OD green slings. Our ceremonial stocks had white cotton slings (maybe the cotton slings dated back to M1 Garands, I don't know).

I've used both cotton and nylon on my rifles since and don't see a difference for my shooting between the two. Some people report nylon is too "slick" and the sling moves around on their upper arm when shooting. I never had the issue but I think the nylon sling is more durable than the cotton sling.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
The cotton web sling from military is a very useful sling and can be rigged easily and quickly to give good support whether in sitting or prone position. I have two Leslie Tam slings from the early 90's and they are excellent slings but the GI cotton web sling works very well and at a fraction of the cost of current leather slings. I do not like the nylon versions for to me they are not as user friendly plus the cotton web is more traditional if that is important. If you have the spring clip on the rear sling loop it is easy to get into position with it and quickly adjustable to suit even in position. There are Youtube videos showing the use of the GI sling.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts