M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Most slings of that price range tend to stretch out fast the holes will stretch as will the keepers if the stitching holds up. Les tamm and turner slings are off thicker leather with higher quality hardware. Buy once cry once man. Look into a turner factory second 42 ish bucks

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most slings of that price range tend to stretch out fast the holes will stretch as will the keepers if the stitching holds up. Les tamm and turner slings are off thicker leather with higher quality hardware. Buy once cry once man. Look into a turner factory second 42 ish bucks
ugh, and I already ordered it...

·
Registered
42 Posts
This.

I bought a cheap sling when I bought my M1a and it only lasted a couple trips to the forest. Also when I would sling up tight I could feel a pretty significant amount of stretch.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't worry, It will last at least one season of matches. Then look for a Turner Saddlery second. You can always sell the used one on Fleabay and get $10 back.
This M1A is definitely going to be expensive. The rifle cost 2 times as much as my PSA AR, the Sage stock I'm putting on it is going to have cost more than my PSA AR, the mags cost twice as much as my Magpul mags, and now I need a $60 sling?

My next weapon is going to be something cheap like a shotgun that I don't have to make a ridiculous investment in to enjoy it. I'll probably use it exclusively to shoot water bottles from less than 2 feet away.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
if you can sling your rifle and get it into a loop sling as well it should work. if it doesnt crack or split when you break it in i wouldnt worry about if its good or not...

·
Registered
21 Posts
My next weapon is going to be something cheap like a shotgun that I don't have to make a ridiculous investment in to enjoy it. I'll probably use it exclusively to shoot water bottles from less than 2 feet away.
Hey man, a DB shotgun is my favorite weapon for general fun. Shells are dirt cheap, the gun takes no time to clean, you can mishandle them almost all you want. A used double barrel shotgun can be had for like $200 bucks and below all day. Blasting things apart with a 12 ga makes me smile every time.

Seriously, I'd only use a nice leather sling for matches. If you want something to take to the woods, I'd just use the GI issue web sling with a half twist for a hasty sling.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I picked up a NM leather sling from Springfield using the Loaded coupon $12 maybe cant remember anyway I treated it with saddle soap and it is good to go no stretching or slippage. Just treat yours with saddle soap to keep it from cracking and enjoy it! Not everything has to be the most expensive, have some fun.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
That sling is the best style around if you shoot matches. It allows you to make a loop where you can cinch that sucker up tight. If you don't shoot matches you probably spent a little more that you should have on a sling, but if you're just using it a a normal sling it will last you many many years

·
Registered
123 Posts
I use a Turner National Match sling in black. Actually traded a pan of browines my wife cooked to my neighbor for it, works like a charm for hasty or loop slings.

This M1A is definitely going to be expensive. The rifle cost 2 times as much as my PSA AR, the Sage stock I'm putting on it is going to have cost more than my PSA AR, the mags cost twice as much as my Magpul mags, and now I need a $60 sling?

There is no need to go stupid expensive to enjoy a rifle. The SAGE stock is nice, but do you really need it to enjoy shooting? You can find good used mags at decent deals, etc. And I will say, Ive never seen an m1907 style sling on a SAGE stocked rifle. Seems like it would be shot off a bipod or sandbags more at that point for long range, which is where these slings really shine.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I use a Turner National Match sling in black. Actually traded a pan of browines my wife cooked to my neighbor for it, works like a charm for hasty or loop slings.

There is no need to go stupid expensive to enjoy a rifle. The SAGE stock is nice, but do you really need it to enjoy shooting? You can find good used mags at decent deals, etc. And I will say, Ive never seen an m1907 style sling on a SAGE stocked rifle. Seems like it would be shot off a bipod or sandbags more at that point for long range, which is where these slings really shine.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.
I probably won't use the sling as a shooting aid in the sage, but if I have to make an offhand shot, I'd like that option.

I want a scoped M1A in a Sage chassis, so it's going to cost what it's going to cost. Doesn't mean that I have to be elated about being out ~3500 bucks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Was the original M14 issued with a cotton webbed sling or a nylon OD sling? I've heard both. Currently, I have the Springfield leather sling (got it for free and it's basically new) but I want more of a USGI look.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts

Woah, if your putting it in a Sage stock. Your going to want a totally different sling type. The old sling types won't work.

I can't believe everyone here missed this.

These will use a 3 point sling setup that mounts to the side. The attachments are different too.

Here is an example
http://www.buffertech.com/SOCOM-Mk14-EBR-Sling-P176.aspx

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Woah, if your putting it in a Sage stock. Your going to want a totally different sling type. The old sling types won't work.

I can't believe everyone here missed this.

These will use a 3 point sling setup that mounts to the side. The attachments are different too.

Here is an example
http://www.buffertech.com/SOCOM-Mk14-EBR-Sling-P176.aspx
cool, when I get the Sage Chassis I'll buy one of those and put the leather on my AR.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Skip the 3 point sling and go with the Blue Force Gear padded Vickers sling. Best sling on the planet, and built like a tank. Mine (unpadded) went thru combat and is still in near perfect shape. Been using it since 2007 on my M4 and ARs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts