M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rifle made by Tim shufflin its his mini-G version(garand tanker). I'am looking at getting a 1907 leather sling. with that mention, I see several versions WW1, WW2, But question is? thier is two types of hooks? brass and black steel.WHAT IS THE DIFFERANCE OUT SIDE OF LOOKS?
also I'am not looking to spend a-lot. this is my every day rifle hunting, blinking, day out with the my boys.any suggestions and learning tips greatfull.
was looking @ going though www.worldwarsupply.com any of yous go thew them before?

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I read about their web slings. They state they are current production then say this would be correct your WWII and Korean War Garands.

I have news for them. There is no way a sling made recently could have been issued to our soldiers during WWII or Korea. The site distorts the meaning of "correct".

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'am sure they mean that they are currently in production as in reproduction?
But again my question on leather slings on why thiers 2-types of hardwear hooks brass and black steel? is it just a cosmetic thing? any history on leather slings is helpfull.
An bill i didn't see anything on your sight about any rifle sling.correct me if i am wrong, i could have over looked them?

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
An bill i didn't see anything on your sight about any rifle sling.correct me if i am wrong, i could have over looked them?
On my web site is about 99% authentic items. Finding original Leather Slings today is very difficult, quite expensive, and usually not very good condition. I keep the few I have for gun shows.

I know of nobody that has any quantity of original leather slings.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
For a 'decorative' or simple 'carry' sling, just get whatever looks ok to you - and make sure it is 1.25 inch wide.

For use as a serious target shooting sling, look for:
1) hooks that are fairly thick to hold under pressure, no sharp edges, and solid rivets.
2) sling keepers that fit tightly around the 2 straps, an 'overlap' joint, and either well sewn or rivet.
3) the leather for the straps & keepers should be fairly thick, but doesn't have to be a 'monster'.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
300 Posts
JMHO , but id not look at a vintage sling for a working rifle , the WWI brass clawed M1907 in my collection is on an M1903 of that vintage and the WWII steel clawed version is on an M1903A3 of that vintage , i have a late version M1 sling on my M14 ,

i chose to fit a vintage sling to my vintage walnut military M14 stock for display and i fitted my glass shooting stock with a modern made shooting sling ,

if you really like the M1907 , turner makes a great version , looks and functions just like the original and is a brand new sling that you fit to your rifle/shooting style

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so all of you guy's are giving me some great input. so now i'am
wondering will a leather sling work for a rifle? everyday carry in the back of my truck. I do like the look of leather and think it would bring out more of her essance.

It will be for this rifle,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts