M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and yes i am fairly new to posting on these forums, however i have been reading them for several months now.

I have a SA loaded and am looking into options for putting a sling on it. This sling will be used mostly for extended hikes, and as a SHTF sling so i want it to be comfortable and functional. I would prefer to not have to add additional mounting gear to my stock to use the sling. I have done some research and have narrowed it down to two slings,

Viking Tactical Wide Sling:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhojNCdksYw[/ame]

and the Specter Three Point Sling:
http://www.spectergear.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=140
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVGbYG2_u4I[/ame]

My questions/concerns are which one is more comfortable for all day wear? If the viking sling has enough slack/length to function properly mounted to the front and rear sling swivels of the long M1A stock(and does it try to turn the gun upside down when not retained)?

I will eventually buy both but for now i am leaning towards the specter sling because the nylon loop that attaches to the front looks as though it will hold my M1A in a better more upright position without adding sling swivels to the side of my rifle.

Any input to which sling style you may have had more success or satisfaction with is greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2,202 Posts
I own the Specter and any number of GI cotton and Nylon slings. Here's the truth:

The 2 and 3 point slings are made for lightweight AR platforms and not the full-size M14.

Yes, they will pull the rifle tightly into your body. Yes, you can sling it over your back for climbing and yes, it is outstanding at holding the rifle at port arms.

But that is about 2% of what I use my rifle for and I am as active with it as anyone I know currently serving or otherwise.

MY WORTHLESS ADVICE:

Save the money you would spend on a sling, buy a USGI NYLON sling and get your behind to an appleseed and learn how to use it.

You will look back on this post and smile thinking of the dollar bills with wings that You saved.

P.S. I am of the stubborn ilk and have a closet full of gear that lives on as a monument to my hard-headedness....but I "gift" USGI nylon slings to people I care about.

Reactions: Cedmonds

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the quick feedback, and it seems as though general opinion is is to get the GI style sling and learn how to use it.

My only question is whether or not the GI style sling will work as well as the above mentioned ones for quick access if I am hiking around with a large pack on my back, and it sounds as though it will with proper training.

Thanks again for any insight you may offer to me and it looks like my sling choice has just changed thanks to your input.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Thanks for the quick feedback, and it seems as though general opinion is is to get the GI style sling and learn how to use it.

My only question is whether or not the GI style sling will work as well as the above mentioned ones for quick access if I am hiking around with a large pack on my back, and it sounds as though it will with proper training.

Thanks again for any insight you may offer to me and it looks like my sling choice has just changed thanks to your input.
At an Appleseed Marksmanship Clinic you will learn the use of the Hasty sling and loop sling. When the sling is used for carry, simply adjusting length for using the Hasty sling from offhand [or kneeling] will give you the 'quick access' option. You will use between 400-600 rounds for a two day Appleseed, so use a rimfire rifle (or dispose a few Benjamins for centerfire).

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
You can get a Blackhawk two point that I believe is 68" long and has super strong plastic buckles for about $10. 1 1/4" black nylong is soft enough to be comfortable and carry for long periods. Made in the USA too.....go figger!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm a big fan of the standard USGI web sling myself. It's inexpensive and serves its purpose.
:ARM34:
Plus 1 for the USGI Canvas sling. I have one on most of my rifles. Serves its purpose and havent seen a need to go to a different type.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the blue force gear vickers with the padding and the stock adapter coming next week just thought I would throw out that option it is more exspencive but the BFG looks like professional grade stuff ... I hope it will be the last one I buy

·
Registered
687 Posts
My two cents:

I've hiked with various rifles and various slings. The Turner synthetic GI sling is awful to hike with. The 5.11 2 point v-tac sling was best with the AR I had.

But what I found is that the most comfortable way to carry a rifle in the field is in my arms. I carry the rifle across my chest with both arms underneath and wrapped up and around it. Hands together weighing down on the receiver. By pulling down on there receiver the rifle locks into may chest and requires almost no effort to hold it there. I've done 6-10 miles like that a number of times with no problems whatsoever.

It doesn't help you with your sling issue, but it's comfortable and easy to get the rifle on target fast.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts