M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only seen these on videos where they were used to simulate automatic fire with an AR design rifle, and I'm wondering exactly what the implications are with them. Although they're already illegal in Canada, I can foresee how they could be extremely bad news in our struggle to get ARs made normal, legitimate sporting and competition firearms here. I guess the things work as advertised?

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
I have a Slide Fire stock on my CMMG Mk9 LE AR and yes it really works just like the videos. I can dump 32 rounds of 9mm very quickly. They are a lot of fun, practical not so much.

Reactions: Sweets

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
Yes they work. I got one loaned to me when a Local shop started selling them. It helps to have a light 2 stage trigger. I was even able to get my CMMG .22 Kit to run with it. I used it at the range for a couple of days, I told all the people asking questions where they could buy one. It was fun for a week, after that it got boring. The shop sold quite a few of them. I would not buy one myself, But it was neat to play with for a couple of days.

Reactions: Sweets

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I have one and I echo the opions of all above. It works, its fun for a while, but not really very practicle. Mag dumping is not really an accurate way to shoot an AR athough it is fun occasionally and expensive these days. If you practiced with it enough to become accurate with 3 round bursts, it could be useful I suppose, but it might take a fair amount of ammo to get to that point; at least, I'm not there and probably never will be. I could not get it to work with 22LR ammo, but I probably need a better trigger than a worked over standard trigger. Kind of hard to spend money on a good trigger for a play gun.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
I have shot a bunch with M16A1's, CAR's and M4 and have no desire to put the Slide Fire stock on one of my 5.56mm AR's. Real or simulated fully auto 5.56mm rifles tend to get old quick, at least for me anyway. 9mm on the other hand is a lot of fun, any day of the week!

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
I've had AR's on my range with the slide fire stock and they do get old fast in these times of expensive and harder to come by 5.56. I simply do not see the ulitlity of having a gimick such as this on any of my working rifles and for the uninitiated who may be surprised by them. They could be a liability concern for those not expecting them to perform as they do. IMO they're just another way to part the fool from his hard earned cash just as PT Barnum warned.

7th

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
they have a trigger group now that does the same thing eith no goofy stock.

the selector even has a full auto setting.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I guess some people have a practical use for a full auto weapon. I think a select fire with 3rd burst would be more usefull. I tried someones AR equipped with the slidefire, and didn't like the way you're forced to maintain forward pressure so it can bump fire. Not conducive to accuracy, It may allow you to do mag dumps, but it doesn't come close to performing like the other full autos that I've tried.

·
13,515 Posts
actually its a simulated full auto trigger and selector set.

the trigger has a forced reset. so you keep pressure on it and it fires full auto.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
This is second hand info, and since I'm not in the market for one of these triggers, I didn't bother to follow up on it, but one of my friends sent me a video of a (probably non scientific) competition between this auto reset trigger, and the Giessele SD3G trigger. In the video, the shooter was able to outshoot the auto trigger. His split times with double taps were faster. Now, I understand that some people are just very fast on the trigger, and not all of us can do that, but this trigger is pretty pricey, and with practice many will be able to shoot faster with a conventional trigger. That being said, I'd sure like to try one out for myself.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Now I wonder what would happen if you put this trigger in a lower with a Slide Fire Stock other than cost you a ridiculous amount of money trying to accomplish something that doesn't really need to be done??

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
It's a novelty item. It does what it says it does, which is to allow you to bump fire your rifle from the shoulder. If you had like 10 friends who own ARs, it might be fun to go in on one and share it.

·
13,515 Posts
Now I wonder what would happen if you put this trigger in a lower with a Slide Fire Stock other than cost you a ridiculous amount of money trying to accomplish something that doesn't really need to be done??
actually i have heard you can achieve a pretty good rate of fire.

its about the cost of a jp side charging upper.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have two M4 style AR's with the slide fire stocks.They do work.
One has a Timney 3 lb trigger and one has a CMC 4 1/2 lb trigger.
The combination of both really works well and the rate of fire is pretty high.
I have no problem staying on target letting it rock and roll.
At 25 feet I kept 30 rounds in a 10 inch pattern with the slide fire.
Very easy to control and I can get them to work with one arm with the light trigger pacs.
Just wanted to see if I could do it but not something I would recommend.
I can get short bursts as well as one shot very easily.
As far as getting the slide fire to run right just lock your finger on the rest pull forward and once it starts running no need to worry about your hand on the fore grip just let the gun run on its own.
I have had extensive time with the CAR 15's and the slide fire is pretty darn close to the feel and rate of fire the CAR's had.

A buddy has a TacCon in his and I got it to work pretty well using the second finger not my trigger finger.
Its a quick reset 4 lb trigger and you have to get your timing right to get a sustained burst or a full mag to run.
Very good for run and gun tho'. I used his at the Knob Creek Machine gun shoot doing the jungle walk competition.
The slide fire I don't see a real tactical use for it but for fun its great.

This vid will give you an idea how both together run.
[ame]http://youtu.be/F1a0HWKWxF8[/ame]

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
I agree with Straycat, they are not for real tactical use but they are a lot of fun! I can do 3 round bursts with mine pretty easy and for most people these days it will be as close to a select fire weapon that they will shoot. I have always really enjoyed 9mm submachine guns. I have shot UZI's, MP5's, Stens and S&W M76's(which was my absolute favorite, God, I wish that I bought one back in '84 for $450) but back in the day when a regular working guy could afford one, I did not live in a place that the local LEO would sign off on owning one. So the Slide Fire mounted CMMG MK9LE fills a fun slot in my collection/assortment of shooting irons.

It really is too bad the Slide Fire stock is ugly as sin, but it does work, and work well!

·
Registered
630 Posts
I wouldn't refer to it as a toy or a gimmick because it does work.
I would rather have the capability than to wish I had it if SHTF.
People that have never used one always pass it off as a gimmick.
Last big shoot I went to a guy was badgering me about having one so I let him try it and he shut up after that.
Just recently the CLEO around here have been forced to sign off by State government but again buying an NFA gun is not out of my ability to pay for but finding one thats not shot out already and ready to take a dump and break where would I be then? Out 20 grand to start with.
Getting to pay for it, play with it but not really owning it is what I have a problem with.
With the slide fire if I break the gun or wear it out I can fix or replace it much easier.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I wouldn't refer to it as a toy or a gimmick because it does work.
I would rather have the capability than to wish I had it if SHTF.
People that have never used one always pass it off as a gimmick.
Last big shoot I went to a guy was badgering me about having one so I let him try it and he shut up after that.
Just recently the CLEO around here have been forced to sign off by State government but again buying an NFA gun is not out of my ability to pay for but finding one thats not shot out already and ready to take a dump and break where would I be then? Out 20 grand to start with.
Getting to pay for it, play with it but not really owning it is what I have a problem with.
With the slide fire if I break the gun or wear it out I can fix or replace it much easier.
Good trigger control and quick reflexes will do the job. It is a gimmick. Youll mash it when you should have held it just right, etc etc, when under pressure. I wouldnt trust it. I choose to do it right.

Im nothing special, but I can deliver controlled pairs and 5 shot hammer drills almost as fast as the cyclic rate of fire of an M4, and still be effective with this out to 300. I would never trust my life with what is essentially controlled bump-fire. Is it fun? Hell yes! Should you be able to own it? Hell yes! Should you bring it to a gun fight? Hell no!

Ive gotten a little slow. Still on target though.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggAJje_tUmA[/ame]

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.