M14 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't believe it was a "slamfire". It sounds like a double fire. I can get my M1a's and Garand to do that if I'm really light on the trigger. It seems to help prevent this if I seat the rifle snug into the shoulder and get just a tad aggressive on the trigger pull. If I squeeze lightly on the trigger till it breaks, I can almost make it happen. A "slam fire" in the M1a/M1's generally exhibit more critical results, such as visible damage/destruction on the weapon/shooter.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Chuck is exactly right. A double fire is actually two pulls of the trigger caused by the action of recoil. Do be aware though, the M1/M1a rifles have a safety designed into it preventing the firing pin movement forward until the bolt is "in battery", however, this safety can over time thru use become inoperative.
The rifle still functions perfectly but the bridge "safety" isn't performing it's designed function. This makes a slamfire possible. These instances are very rare but they do happen. This has been well documented.
Keep in mind that many of us are using rifles manufactured 60 years ago and they have seen their fair share of use. Many of them hard use. It's certainly not my intention to scare anyone, merely to inform. Point is, put all the odds in your favor by making sure that the firing pin is in good shape every time you dismantle the rifle, and if you shoot reloads- be sure all your primers are seated according to spec. I personally use milspec Primers for my reloads. Not a cure-all, but it does give me a little piece of mind.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.