M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to the forum so I hope I don't sound too ignorant. I have a national match M1A that Ive put around 200 rounds through. Out of those 200 rounds there have been at least 4 slam fire incidences. I've used three different types of ammo, and tried to make sure I wasn't bump firing the trigger. Honestly I wonder if I made the right decision sinking that much money in a rifle that may or may not be reliable. Some help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Sounds like you need to tear down your bolt and give it a thorough cleaning. There could be some gunk or dried grease/oil in the firing pin that is keeping it from moving freely. Try that and see how it works

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
An apparent slamfire can be caused by improper "tuning" of the hammer hooks and sear, especially for so-called "match tuning".

The other cause, for a "legitimate" slamfire is an out-of-spec receiver bridge.

Finally, if you reload, a slamfire MAY be caused by improper seating of the primer... they must be seated BELOW the surface of the case head.

Is the rifle new, or has it been "customized"?

A search of this forum will reveal many posts, but the causes of actual slamfires are few.

BTW, Welcome to the forum!

JWB

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
As long as the ammo is not reloads, Call Springfield Armory. I wouldn't mess with it, you may make it worse or void the warranty. Make them fix it. Their CS is reported to be very good.

Justin

·
Registered
946 Posts
Im new to the forum so I hope I don't sound too ignorant. I have a national match M1A that Ive put around 200 rounds through. Out of those 200 rounds there have been at least 4 slam fire incidences. I've used three different types of ammo, and tried to make sure I wasn't bump firing the trigger. Honestly I wonder if I made the right decision sinking that much money in a rifle that may or may not be reliable. Some help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

before we all get on the Bus to Abilene, what EXACTLY are you defining as a "slamfire?"

A TRUE slamfire occurs (incredibly rarely BTW) when you DROP THE BOLT on a LIVE ROUND in the chamber when LOADING the rifle and the rifle then FIRES (otherwise normally) but without ANY trigger pull.

Are you actually experiencing a "DOUBLING" problem?? In other words, you were SHOOTING the rifle at a target, etc., and when pulled the trigger once, the rifle fired TWICE??

I (strongly) suspect doubling (which is not uncommon at all). FOUR no BS, no kidding, slamfires would be a really SERIOUS safety issue!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Examine the primers of the slam fired rounds. If it was caused by a doubling problem the firing pin indentation in the primer will look normal. If it was caused by a primer problem (over sensitive or high primer) there will not be the normal indentation in the primer. In fact it may look like the primer tried to partially flow back into the firing pin hole in the face of the bolt. Try running your finger over the primers and see if any feel high. Another way to check for high primers is to simply stand the rounds upright on a table and see if any tend to rock slightly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of the input, great comments. My rifle is completely factory and the only thing I've done is install a Sadlak scope mount and a Leupold scope. Hugh Uno thank you for clarifying what a slam fire is, as apparently what I've experienced is a doubling problem. Is there something that can be done to prevent this?

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Thanks for all of the input, great comments. My rifle is completely factory and the only thing I've done is install a Sadlak scope mount and a Leupold scope. Hugh Uno thank you for clarifying what a slam fire is, as apparently what I've experienced is a doubling problem. Is there something that can be done to prevent this?
either its you bumping the trigger or you have a hammer hook/trigger sear problem.

Maybe the guys in the factory took to much off the hammer hooks?

Hows the trigger pull? Is it really light or is it about 4.5lbs area?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I believe the only way to work on this is to work on your trigger pull. Practice consistent follow through.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
A fast test, with an unloaded rifle, check it, no magazine, physically check the chamber, point the rifle in a safe direction, pull the op to the rear, let it fly home, pull the trigger, the hammer should fall, don't let go of the trigger, hold the trigger to the rear to complete this test, while holding the trigger pull the op rod to the rear and let it go, slowly let off the trigger you should hear a click, that is the hammer coming off the disconnecter, if you don't hear and feel the click look into the action and see if the hammer is against the bolt, if it is the hammer is following the bolt down.
If this is your problem it could stem from the stock being to thick from the trigger pads to the top. It could also mean you have a problem with your trigger group.

This is a common test to do.

Jim

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Hard to be more sure without actually seeing/handling the rifle, but, some of my experience...

1. We have a PolyTech that has had trigger following the bolt forward issues two different times. When we first got it and again last year. Neither time did we get any firing of the chambered rounds. It would go "bang" and then the next time you'd pull the trigger there was nothing. Look through the side and the hammer was sitting against the back of the bolt. Going through the exercise described above (nothing in the chamber, no magazine in the rifle, **** it, pull the trigger, hold the trigger back, work the op rod and release when fully to the rear and the hammer would follow the bolt forward). The combination of the hammer riding against the back of the bolt and the receiver bridge should keep it from going bang.

2. I squeeze the trigger, hold it to the rear, inhale, release the trigger, exhale, squeeze the trigger for that next shot, repeat, etc. Don't try to quickly release the trigger. Don't let the trigger go forward any further once you hear/feel it reset (that little click you hear/feel when your cheek is tight on the stock).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
M1A's r BEST, may be on to something with the point about the trigger following the bolt. After reading his post, I recall having an issue just as you described, where I fired a round, went to pull the trigger to fire again, and nothing. I had to pull the op rod to eject the unfired round. I will try the test as explained and share what I find later. From my perspective, its always easier to blame the gun than the shooter. Thanks again for the input from everyone.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.