M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
People have asked, and I stumbled across more information this morning, while digging around for something else.

Looks as if hard copies might be available quite soon.

The color use is quite lavish, and I was very surprised how much I, myself, enjoyed it.

Who knows? If I live another century or so, all this fooling around might actually break even!!

They added around 100 pages, and some of the notations explaining it's not an industrial history got back in, after only 25 or so years!!

In short, at a very attractive price, it LOOKS LIKE (but I do not KNOW that!!) it might be what was envisioned a quarter century ago.

Some links to the Skyhorse book, THE ESSENTIAL M1 GARAND:

https://skyhorse-us.imgix.net/covers/9781510740129.jpg?auto=format&w=298

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91Kux5SPQWL.jpg

https://d28hgpri8am2if.cloudfront.net/book_images/onix/interior_spreads/9781510740129/the-essential-m1-garand-9781510740129.in04.jpg

https://d28hgpri8am2if.cloudfront.net/book_images/onix/interior_spreads/9781510740129/the-essential-m1-garand-9781510740129.in06.jpg

https://d28hgpri8am2if.cloudfront.net/book_images/onix/interior_spreads/9781510740129/the-essential-m1-garand-9781510740129.in05.jpg

https://d28hgpri8am2if.cloudfront.net/book_images/onix/interior_spreads/9781510740129/the-essential-m1-garand-9781510740129.in01.jpg

https://d28hgpri8am2if.cloudfront.net/book_images/onix/interior_spreads/9781510740129/the-essential-m1-garand-9781510740129.in02.jpg

These are from cloudfront, Barnes and Noble, and Amazon. Whether the links will work or not, I do not know. What I DO know is, the prices seem attractive, Simon and Schuster will apparently be the distributor, the hard copy is not yet out, but it seems as if it might actually get back to the original idea.

Apparently, the electronic versions are out, or at least for sale. Nosing around the Amazon site should yield more data, as will Barnes and Noble and some of the other literary/book sale sites. There's information on the Simon & Schuster site, too. They'll be distributing.

Color use seems lavish, especially compared to the old Paladin two-volume set, which used no interior color at all. To me, this never mattered much on the shots of the firearms, but in the action photos, the color adds some interest.

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
photo mixup and so on

Page xii contains a mixup that will be corrected by the time you see these in stores or online.

I was arrogantly pleased with my ability to take this shot.

It was about 1985, and I used a foot switch on my Minolta X-570 high speed motor drive.

Couldn't do the running or the ambidextrous/multi-limb work now, let alone simultaneously hit the tape mark to assure it all got in the frame.

This was possibly the day at Angeles National Forest range when folks left because of the "commie with the camera".

Tried to explain to those at other benches, detailing laboriously about photos in firearms magazines, but it all fell on deaf or plugged ears. Also, those who left wouldn't have been in the frame, anyway.

Here's another one that should make the final version of the missive:

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
If I recall the last version, I think I began with: "This is NOT an industrial history. There are more than a half dozen of those on the market concerning the M1 Garand and its derivatives. My work is practical and functional, at once operational manual and historic delineation, but as to which parts were alleged correct for, say, May of 1943, that’s peripheral to this project, and always was. There are industrial history aspects and comparisons, tads of information here and there, but the droning chronologies are not the core of this project. Practical considerations are the guts of this beast, from economy to preservation and much, much more." Attempts to teach technique will be made ONLY in peripheral areas that relate to the rifle itself, and precious little of that. That's for another volume, another time. Ditto "sturm und drang" prophesy, which is not relevant to this work.

There are aspects dealt with--Italian production (about which I know a very few things, but mainly realized how little we all actually KNOW), what I call "jump cut" rifles, the real chemical nature of the W.R.A. "du-lite" oxide finish and phosphate, which I tested from specimens. Much of the Italian data is incomplete, seems garbled, and the numbers seem "messy". That may have to do with their "recycling" receivers.

Note and update, Sunday September 15, 2019. I touch on shooting technique and so on almost not at all. My views would be unwelcome, somewhat out of date, controversial, and my audience advises, would simply consume space. Also, since a couple of years ago when the COPD and arthritis advanced, what I might utilize in a real confrontation has become a set of very narrow choices, of no interest to most folks.

I enter into markings bi**h fights ONLY on the "neutral corner" and when we discuss the Tipo 2 and other microwelded re-marked/re-configured rifles, there are some new tidbits brought out.

But I began this project to be the BEST manual on the rifle in its various incarnations produced for the shooter/consumer, and an entertainment for everyone who enjoys the rifle.

If it gets most of the way there, I'll be o.k.

Besides, the rifle has cost me a not-so-small fortune in 55+ years, so when I suggest to would-be restorers that I know a whole LOT about how to lose money, well...they need only run the numbers.

Main thing: it should be fun. If it's not, the hell with it.

·
Registered
626 Posts
If I recall the last version, I think I began with: "This is NOT an industrial history. There are more than a half dozen of those on the market concerning the M1 Garand and its derivatives. My work is practical and functional, at once operational manual and historic delineation, but as to which parts were alleged correct for, say, May of 1943, that’s peripheral to this project, and always was. There are industrial history aspects and comparisons, tads of information here and there, but the droning chronologies are not the core of this project. Practical considerations are the guts of this beast, from economy to preservation and much, much more."
But I began this project to be the BEST manual on the rifle in its various incarnations produced for the shooter/consumer, and an entertainment for everyone who enjoys the rifle.
If it gets most of the way there, I'll be o.k.
Besides, the rifle has cost me a not-so-small fortune in 55+ years, so when I suggest to would-be restorers that I know a whole LOT about how to lose money, well...they need only run the numbers.
Main thing: it should be fun. If it's not, the hell with it.
Good to hear ...

Looking forward to the book and hope you've devoted at least one chapter to commenting on the 'tactical aspects' of moving, shooting, and training with the M1 - as the fighting rifle it was always intended to be.

No one shoots off the bench in a 2-way firefight, nor worries about their off-hand Match form while trying to draw a bead on the bad guy(s) shooting at them.

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vLMYHJbp3sQ"]M1 Garand montage - YouTube[/ame]

The way this country's going, an M1 Garand might well be the last semiauto rifle the government allows you to own. It's that way right now in the more nazified states like New Jersey, which bans the little M1 carbine by name but still permits its subjects to legally own an M1.

So if you own at least one 'shooter' Garand, whether in 30-06 or .308, it might behoove you to consider whether certain 'tactical upgrades' - beyond JCG-legal/GI trim - wouldn't be helpful. Call it your 'tactical' Garand.

In recent years, some products have become available that actually make the M1 more efficient as a fighting tool. No connection to the vendors, just passing the info along ...

Olongapo Outfitters' modernized M1 stock pouch, 'Grab-n-Go' pack, and belt gear for holding your M1 clips is one simple example.

https://olongapooutfitters.com/index.php?dispatch=products.search&status=A&pshort=Y&pfull=Y&pname=Y&pkeywords=Y&search_performed=Y&q=Garand

There are others out there, none affecting a permanent modification ...

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=er__eN-Xm_M"]Review: M1/M1A Micro Red Dot Mount by Hopco USA - YouTube[/ame]

Attached is a pic of Robar's take on modifying ('tacticalizing'?) an M1:

- NP3 refinishing treatment on the metal, dropped into a laminated stock.

- Leupold scout scope in low rings rides on an Ultimak forward rail mount.

- Add a butter-smooth 4.5lb trigger job ... and you're ready to lock-n-load.

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks as if signed copies will be going for $25.00 a pop from me, prepaid.

Not selling them NOW (they don't exist), but so many have asked...

Lots of folks have inquired about total numbers of Italian production, and I give no such data. Reason: I don't trust any of the information enough to go ahead a designate it accurate and complete. I've seen rifles with national crests that aren't even in the lexicons or figures, even those form Italy, at least four, so at the very least, something is missing. I suspect overall outflow is way higher than anyone has so far published, but cannot prove that, either, and have decided to cease fueling irrelevant conversations. Truth is, M1 military receivers are effectively banned from civilian import to the United States, and that ends future specimen research.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Just in case there is demand, it looks as if they'll be out in about five and a half to six weeks.

The few "advance copies" I am going to make available on a prepaid basis to CMP participants and one or two to M14 forum folks ONLY, autographed. To my knowledge, they contain ONE garble (typo, actually), the color is really solid, and with those admonitions, as duly noted above, I shall go ahead and "peddle" those ( I can make FIVE available of that grouping, three of which are already spoken for ) at $28.00 a pop, prepaid BUT they won't ship until February. Ooops. ( effective 12/26/2019) Only TWO of the "advance copies" are spoken for, I was getting the same message from two differently identified sources.

Inscriptions must be very brief, directly involving the rifle, no political stuff of ANY kind, and membership, range, or serial number material is particularly suitable.

Starting shortly thereafter, standard units for the foreseeable future will be $25.00, prepaid, via MEDIA MAIL.

Author's advance copies usually increase in value over time far faster than standard editions.

Again: If you need to know which hammer was made which Tuesday in 1944, with very rare exception, that's nothing to do with what this volume enumerates.

These volumes as a single entity are pretty much what I envisioned ca.1992, but with smaller imagery.

Actual list price on across-the-counter versions is around twenty bucks. The electronic version will be cheaper, and I've been assured that the relationship between photo placement and text is somewhat better than on the old two-volume set. The color shots, while much smaller than I desired, seem to balance the work.

Best to e-mail me if you wish to go ahead. I can answer PM's, but it may be slower. Will send you a usable e-mail in response to PM's.

Had to put off pre-payment/deposits on these because I have learned that the industry is not exactly "timely" or particularly reliable.

As always, if you need to know whether the "dash seven" hammer was actually released in July of 1943, you need an industrial history, of which this is very definitely NOT one. This is a practical/essential book, for shooters and consumers, and deals with real rifles and genuine needs.

That's why the title.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I now have LOTS of them on hand, and will autograph.

The "advance" copies ( my personal copies, of which I sold a few ), the very first ones I ever saw, are all gone.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Still have some available, for those who are interested.

$25 each, personalized with brief, straightforward inscriptions.

The advance copies from 5 weeks ago are long gone.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts