M14 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal. I do love shooting my SKS with the cheap, corrosive primered Commie ammo that came with it, I'm even adapting to the air rifle style open sights, but doing a through super cleaning every time afterwards is starting to wear on me. I don't mind swabbing out the barrel, which anyway is chrome lined, but is doing a complete disassembly really necessary, as some people insist it is? I hear completely different opinions on this one and I'm particularly interested in hearing from both sides on this forum, which tends to be better informed than many of my local range rangers. The seller assures me only the primer is corrosive BTW... but they no longer own the gun. GI1

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I saw this get beat to death, resurrected and beat to death again on another forum about a year to two ago. It went WELL over 30+ pages when I quit reading it. Finally a handful of guys started shooting and posting if they cleaned, the procedure, or if they didn't clean, the length of time etc. Mostly in SKS rifles but some used Mosin or AKs

NOBODY had a problem with pitting, rust, or anything like that. However most usually came home, and at least wiped the bolt face and chamber with warm soapy water. I have to admit 2 times I shot corrosive and didn't clean it right away in my SKS, but did the next day, but it's a russian so its chromed. I have had no issues.

I wouldn't shoot it and leave it for a week but overnight didn't hurt mine. I tend to stick with TulAmmo, Herters, and when I can still find it Wolf anymore though.

I will add however I live in the desert, in a more humid environment like a coastal state or down south, you might run into issues with the salts on the metal.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
or you could just take a film canister of Windex with you to the range and swab the bore with a wet patch before you leave then clean like normal when you get home

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a Russian SKS and after shooting it with Czech ammo, the edge of the gas cylinder will begin to rust after only a few hours.

I just pour some boiling water down the bore and I also using boiling water on the gas cylinder, gas tube and piston.

It really doesn't take much time. But my rifle is worth it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I clean my Russian guns (AK and SKS) after every trip. Personally, I'd feel pretty bad getting some rust or corrosion just because I was being lazy.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Get a bottle of Gunzilla and a Hoppes viper boresnake and make a few runs after you shoot the corrosive stuff. Should be pretty quick and painless. Gunzilla is amazing stuff!

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I have a Yugo without a chromed bore, and have been shooting the Yugo surplus (mildly corrosive). Not that big a deal to wipe it all down with soapy water, then pour boiling water down the bore and gas tube. No problems so far, though I live in a dry environment, too. If you have the time, you could do a standard cleaning after the range, and then take a peek at the internals over a few days to see if any rust is starting to form, but I'd just as soon get the cleaning out of the way and not worry.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I have a Yugo without a chromed bore, and have been shooting the Yugo surplus (mildly corrosive). Not that big a deal to wipe it all down with soapy water, then pour boiling water down the bore and gas tube. No problems so far, though I live in a dry environment, too. If you have the time, you could do a standard cleaning after the range, and then take a peek at the internals over a few days to see if any rust is starting to form, but I'd just as soon get the cleaning out of the way and not worry.
I have seen a Yugoslavian SKS that wasn't cleaned after shooting. Bore was sewer pipe- no surprise. Piston was frozen, which is what alerted the former owner that something was amiss. But the real drama was getting the gas cutoff cylinder freed up. Took about a week and large amounts of PB Blaster, heat and tapping. Finally got it sorted with no parts requiring replacement. Funny thing was that accuracy wasn't bad afterwards even though the rifling just about couldn't be seen.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I have a Russian SKS and after shooting it with Czech ammo, the edge of the gas cylinder will begin to rust after only a few hours.

I just pour some boiling water down the bore and I also using boiling water on the gas cylinder, gas tube and piston.

It really doesn't take much time. But my rifle is worth it.
My experience exactly! The gas cylinder edges is where I've seen rust appear on my Ruskies.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,644 Posts
I have a Norinco SKS that has been kind of a controlled experiment, I have shoot about 900 round of old cheap Chinese ammo through since I got it 20+ years ago and have never cleaned it. [I only paid $69.00 for it when I had my FFL] I took it out this morning looked down the bore, it was dark. I took it out in the garage and ran a brush through it with some Midway solvent a few times and then a patch. the patch came out black next one was less dark, by the forth patch it was clean, I looked down the bore and it was bright and shiny, I pull the gas tube off and the piston was a little carbon fowled but there was no rust so I just put back together and stuck it back in the safe.
This is one nice thing about living in the Nevada desert, some day maybe I will clean my AK that has been shot with the same ammo.
I am a firm believer that more barrels are worn out from cleaning the shooting,
I guess that if I lived some where with more humidity I would clean them more.

Casey

·
Registered
72 Posts
Buy you a can or two of U.S.G.I bore cleaner and clean it like you would any rifle. I have been using it for a couple years and works great.
Scott

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Get a bottle of Gunzilla and a Hoppes viper boresnake and make a few runs after you shoot the corrosive stuff. Should be pretty quick and painless. Gunzilla is amazing stuff!
You know how they say that Gunzilla removes copper, I tested that theory with some pennies and it didn't do jack. I stopped using it after that. Hoppe's #9 on the other hand worked like a charm.

As far as neutralizing the corrosive salts, I believe it does work for that. But so does hot water and dish soap.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Thier awful tough rifles particularly when given a modicum of care.But CHROME LINED doesnt mean RUST PROOF!! Back in the day when 'unissued' w/acessories chrome lined chinese mil surp rifles cost less than $100 shipped.I saw a few neglected chrome bore chin SKS rifles that thier bores looked like sewer pipes.Recoil even seemed unusually rough.
I suppose from the crusty chambers hanging on to the cartridge [email protected] minimum ya gotta get the salt of the exposed surfaces.Bolt ,bolt carrier, gas piston,gas cylinder,chamber and bore and going over the reciever interior-exterior bbl muzzle with a quick wipedown of GI corr bore cleaner wouldnt hurt.Then check a day or 2 down the road depending on humidity.Unnattended salt deposits can rust blued metal in hours.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have noticed that my Yugo SKS the barrel was fine, but everything else started to rust. and that was fter taking it to the range. Don't get me wrong the Yugo M67 ammo is dam accurate, but i'll save it as war ammo since i can't take the time to clean the whole rifle, its almost easier to just dip the thing is a hot tub.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You know how they say that Gunzilla removes copper, I tested that theory with some pennies and it didn't do jack. I stopped using it after that. Hoppe's #9 on the other hand worked like a charm.

As far as neutralizing the corrosive salts, I believe it does work for that. But so does hot water and dish soap.
As far as I've been told, pennies no longer have any copper.

·
Registered
687 Posts
US Penny is Copper plated zinc core as of '83'

·
Registered
689 Posts
Sell the ammo and buy non-corroosive to replace it. 25 years ago I shot some Chezck 7.62 NATO that was corrosive through an M-1A....and I really cleaned that gun with old GI bore cleaner ment for corrosive ammo. That gun turnrd out OK. A few weeks later I cleaned a different gun with the same bore cleaner .....and rusted out that 2nd barrel. How I got salt into the bore cleaner, that then went into my second gun, I'll never know. After replacing 1 barrel, I'll never pinch pennies buying corrosive ammo again....I just can't afford it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts