M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some don't like bipods at all, but for those that do use them....

Has anyone fabricated or thought of replacing the ribber feet on the Harris bipod with metal skids? I am thinking that the rubber feet cause the "bounce" when firing and skids would allow the rifle to ride the recoil straight back (skidding so to speak) and allow quicker follow-up shots.

Similar to what a BAR has or what I see on other military bipods.

Just wondering... :?:

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Tom, I've never shot from a bipod, but, there must be some reason that the US Govt had them designed the way they were/are. :D :D :D

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hawk, I know you're right. But I decided to go with a Harris bipod for these reasons.

1. It was readily available.
2. It made more sense (at the time of the install) to mount on the forearm vs. the gas cylinder.
3. I liked the looks of a Harris vs. the USGI version.
4. I already had Harris bipods on all of my bolt rifles (lots to initially experiment with).
5. Lastly, I noticed that SA used the Harris bipods on M21 and M25 rifles they sold.

Now, that I have the Harris bipod installed and working. I am looking into trying to make the Harris bipod respond differently on recoil as an experiment. It works the way it is but I am thinking there might be a better "mouse trap".

It's just a thought right now. I have just finished some sketches on CorelDraw of what I have in mind. When complete, I was thinking of showing them on the forum for comments. I am trying to get some friends who work with metal to look at the drawings and fabricate a prototype. This is just a side adventure for me. Must be the tinker'r in me I guess.

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow Hawk,

That looks OUTSTANDING! Nice angle on your rifle... Boy, that bipod really looks at home on her, huh? :wink:

I also notice some shoreline... and you own waterfront property to boot? Sounds like a man who has everything! 8)

Styling! :lol:

Tom O.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hawk,

When you want some fish, do you use a hook and line or do you just shoot them from the back porch? :lol: :lol: Just kidding...

Tom O.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Well it used to be that I could crank off a few rounds in the wintertime with either my M-14 or .45 without anyone getting upset. :D but new neighbors and things have changed. :( Now all I can get away with is occasionally shooting the .22 out the front door at a styrofoam buoy about 150yds out. :eek: Nothing like .308. We used to also skeet shoot right off the beach, but not anymore. Times have changed :? As for fishing.....surf casting off the bulkhead on occasion when I see something jumpin. :D

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
Dighawaii, try duct tapping a few pieces of tape around the rubber bottoms. Believe it or not, it seems to take a little of the bounce out. But is a pain in the but to take the tape off after shooting. Give it a try. PAT.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts