M14 Forum banner

101 - 120 of 177 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #107 (Edited)
Thanks guys for responding and stepping up to commit.

This is the most current list, my hard core twelve!

1. M1army
2. XM25REN
3. PILTDOWNHOA
4. HarryB
5. DMSDOG
6. case42so
7. RENCORP
8. hytekrednek
9. FerranteLJ1
10. Alpinacsi
11. Crazynoto
12. Cowtownscout

REN

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Five days ago I finally added my name to the list and made 25 people on the list. Two days later Ren posted some projected costs and asked for reconfirmation of people on the list or new additions. That reconfirmed list is now up to 10 so add my name to that list and it will get us to eleven. While I was typing this Ren posted the new list of 10 names. ;) AND case42so posted something in the M14 forum pointing people to this forum and this thread.

Reactions: XM25Ren

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
I am still in at $1200. Will these have any warranty behind them?
Shaun,

Yes there will a warranty, against defects in workmanship. Misuse, neglect or improper installation resulting in damage will not be covered.

Your standard warranty.

Further, it is guaranteed that the dimensions of the reproduced suppressor will be the exact dimensions as the original.

REN

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Ren's fabulous fourteen!

1. M1army
2. XM25REN
3. PILTDOWNHOA
4. HarryB
5. DMSDOG
6. case42so
7. RENCORP
8. hytekrednek
9. FerranteLJ1
10. Alpinacsi
11. Crazynoto
12. Cowtownscout
13. Majkani
14. forceman

REN

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I still want one if the pressure relief valve is operational like the originals, as that was the genius aspect behind the original design. It allowed the XM21 to be used with different ammo types with no modifications to the gas system, and kept the "hot gas blow back" away from the soldier's face. So please put me on the list if the gas relief valve can be replicated, thanks.

(I know that is sort of technical question and the unit will presumably need to be dissembled to replicate the valve. It looks fine on the example you got...I only note this as that pressure relief valve is the secret sauce for suppressing a gas port actuated M14/M1A without other mods...)

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #116 (Edited)
RG, the suppressor will have to be completely disassembled to accurately replicate. That is the only way to reproduce a clone. There in lies the risk to my investment, this very old and rare Sionics suppressor. It is a risk I am willing to take, otherwise this can't be accomplished.

This replica will not just be a copy of the tube, but all working parts, otherwise why bother. Everyone will have a bit of history in the suppressor they receive.

1. M1army
2. XM25REN
3. PILTDOWNHOA
4. HarryB
5. DMSDOG
6. case42so
7. RENCORP
8. hytekrednek
9. FerranteLJ1
10. Alpinacsi
11. Crazynoto
12. Cowtownscout
13. Majkani
14. forceman
15. Random Guy

REN

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
XM25, thanks for the clarification. Long story short, I asked b/c I have seen a working replica of the Sonics Suppressor but it had a non-functional/fake pressure relief valve. In fact, the former Officer in Charge of 10th SPG from the late 1980s, made a replica of an M25 - and he made a working copy of the Sonics Suppressor to go with it. (He had an approved ATF Form 1 to make the suppressor). He is a very gifted machinist and does all kind of neat restorations. When I asked him if the pressure relief valve on his replica of the Sonics suppressor worked like the original, he noted:

"My suppressor had a fake pressure valve to visually make it identical to the original. I had considered a real pressure valve, but there is really no need for one."

...Given his fist-hand experience at 10th SFG with the real deal - I didn't question his opinion or further inquire about this topic. However, based on everything I've read on reports on the suppressed XM21, the pressure relief valve works well, and seems ideal for the M14/M1A. Anyhow, thanks for the clarification re this topic. For anyone interested in the secret sauce, here's page 103 from Peter Senich's book, The Long Range War (1994):

The Sonics company went bankrupt in 1975, and it appears that no one has used this type of system since.

·
Premium Member
7,641 Posts
Discussion Starter #118 (Edited)
RG, just to clarify, the valve worked in semi auto only, under auto fire it would melt the spring in the valve rendering the valve useless. I will be advocating for a system using the valve and not a faux valve. The use of a spring with superior performance will be preferred, but will not necessarily guarantee its performance if you fire in auto mode! Lol

The gentleman doing this work is a professional, he does this type of work for a living. I have checked references and his recommendations are stellar! Remember I am sending him my suppressor to disassemble. I would not take that chance with a hack, with a suppressor I have already been offered nearly five thousand dollars for.

If you take a look at the rifles I have built, you know I only do things one way, the right way. I don't cut corners.

Actually, I think I am as anal retentive as you are or OCD if you prefer!

I hope this sets your mind at ease.

REN

101 - 120 of 177 Posts