M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ankle instability correction.... Check
Bilateral inguinal hernia correction... Check

Now I need to have my sinus issue addressed. I'm 43 and have had severe sinus issues all my life. Rarely can I breathe through my nose. Most of the time I'm 95% stopped up. I decided last year to take some time and get some much needed repairs done to carry me through the second half of my life. I have been investigating endoscopic sinus surgery. Anyone here have it done? Did it help? Any and all experiences welcomed! Thanks a million.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Had it done years ago when the infection I didn't know I had and my doctors missed for years swelled my eye shut.

The pain wasn't so bad, they gave me oxycodone I took 1/2 a one on day one, after that just Tylenol. The worse part was removing the packing, they literally had a yard or two of gauze in my sinus cavity which had been there for weeks, and we know how pulling gauze off a wound hurts, but now they do something else I thinkm and mine was SEVERE.

Im better for it, I don't feel like crap all the time, I don't snore like I did, and I can breathe and smell as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Had surgery for same thing a few years ago. I can breath better now but have lots sinus pain and would not do it again if I had to…..

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think I'm up to number 3 and headed for number 4 in the next year or so. Like you, I grew up a "mouth breather" due to continual sinus issues.

First one was a septoplasty that straightened a deviated septum, combined with a polypectomy to remove nasal/sinus polyps. I was told they would return, but daily saline rinse (like Netti pot or whatever) would help to slow it. Afterwards, I could breathe through both nostrils and smell things that I couldn't smell before. In fact, I think the sense of smell is now better than average comared to many people that I meet. A curse in some ways, since cigarette smoke and those ladies who apply cheap perfume by the gallon really set me off sneezing now.

Six or so years after the first, I had more polyps removed and they trimmed the turbinates a bit to help with air flow. I had notice the right side starting to stay congested, so that was when I went in for another CT scan for them to see what was going on.

Finally, another six years or so and a third roto-rooting for polyps.

All have been endoscopic and Minefield is correct that the packing removal is the worst part. But that's why we have vicodin.... I'll agree, the surgery was well worth it. Also keeping up the sinus rinsing really does help as well.

Good luck!

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
I had a five-step Op done at the VA about a year and a half ago...

Nasal Septoplasty and FOUR Sinus Roto-Rooters!

Nose works great now, 3 out of 4 Sinus Passages drain well now...1 Doesn't!

GI3

I still have ALLERGY Issues which cause all my sinus pasages to have issues!

The VA Doc said---Hey, I didn't promise you I would fix your allergies!

GI2

Overall...I am much better. Not perfect, but better. Would I do it all again? Yes. Will I go back in for the one to 'do-over'? Uh, No...

YOUR Call!

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
168 Posts
I had a five-step Op done at the VA about a year and a half ago...

Nasal Septoplasty and FOUR Sinus Roto-Rooters!

Nose works great now, 3 out of 4 Sinus Passages drain well now...1 Doesn't!

GI3

I still have ALLERGY Issues which cause all my sinus pasages to have issues!

The VA Doc said---Hey, I didn't promise you I would fix your allergies!

GI2

Overall...I am much better. Not perfect, but better. Would I do it all again? Yes. Will I go back in for the one to 'do-over'? Uh, No...

YOUR Call!

CAVman in WYoming
Allergies... Yep, still have those as well. I've been doing allergy shots for a year and a half now, and they are helping. My brother, the MD, thinks that it is voodoo and there are no medical trials proving the efficacy of allergy shots. I, however, am satisfied with my own annecdotal evidence that it works. The program I'm in allows me to administer my own shots as long as I stay close to an Epi-Pen for an hour or two afterwards.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I had the reduction of the turbinates cause they swelled so much during an allergic reaction. the littlest things would clog me up. I had the surgery 2 years ago and although i still have allergies I do not get stopped up completely anymore. It helped me sleep better at night too.. My wife thanks me for having the procedure since i snore less!

·
Registered
385 Posts
On another note my doctor never packed my sinus passages. I think he had cauterized the tissue to reduce bleeding. I had to wear gauze like a patch on my nostrils to soak up drainage til the swelling went down. recovery time is about 3-4 weeks, until then you would feel like the surgery didnt do anything to help.

·
Cranky Old Vietnam Vet
10,663 Posts
On another note my doctor never packed my sinus passages. I think he had cauterized the tissue to reduce bleeding. I had to wear gauze like a patch on my nostrils to soak up drainage til the swelling went down. recovery time is about 3-4 weeks, until then you would feel like the surgery didnt do anything to help.
They don't have to pack 'em like they used to!
Now the packing Self-Dissolves within a Week or so!
Mo Bettah!

GI2

CAVman in WYoming

·
Registered
532 Posts
Had it done about 10 years ago, rebroke my nose for the 12 th time( kept dropping my left arm all the time when I was younger) and cleaned out 4 of the 6 sinus cavites. Has worked great for me and I still smoke, no more sinus infections

·
Registered
211 Posts
Wife had it done, changed her life.

Get a really too notch surgeon anytime you get near the ol' brain bucket.

good luck buddy :)

5,445 Posts
Know people who have it done and they all are happy for having done it.

Surgery results are directly related to the competency of the respective surgeon. A surgeon at the bottom of his class/career field is still a surgeon... so utilize recommendations to find a good one.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
This year in July I had it done the third time. The polyps grow and grow and you can stop it only by applying a mild cortison spray every 2 or 3 days. If you have asthma too check if you have a acetylsalicyl intolerance.
Wolf

·
Registered
323 Posts
Worst surgery of my life. When i was thriteen and some turbinates clipped and polyps taken care of. Two years ago or this will be my third winter had the whole thing re worked. Turbinates give me most of problem, so the hacked on those some more, fixed my septum. I teach and train self defense so them shaving bone, wasnt the nest thing for me but i getting old o well.

Oxycodone, neti ppt, fluids , and i shpuld be as good as new. Well now the inside of my nose is always cracked , dry, i sniff oceanmist, like IKe turner did blow in the 70's, and when i do get a sknus infection mow i completely shut down. No air gets through at all. Its like the doctor gave me more room to get inflammed. I dont snore though , like that bothered me as a slept anyways, lol!! Honestly i wish i would have never done it, but i have severe alleriges and live on bendryll and sutafed.

However recovery was nothing, like a bad punch, lil racoon eyes and not alot of pain. Good luck in whatever u decide to do.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I had a sinus surgery. The left side of my sinuses closed up and caused severe headaches and blockages. Started every day with 4 Advil and sudifed. About 3 years ago finally found a doc that would listen, did a CT to find the blockage. Two months later he reamed them all out. He even set up one of his doctor friends to give me a vasectomy while I was out. The recovery from the vasectomy was WAY worse for me than the sinus recovery. With all that being said, the sinus surgery was an AWESOME thing. It reduced my headaches to almost nil and I haven't taken sudifed or had an infection in 3 years. DI2
Very happy with it.

·
Administrator
17,181 Posts
Our son had it done years ago. No biggy. Quick and to the point.

DI5

1 - 16 of 16 Posts