M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
I use a Neti pot from time to time. It takes a little getting used to and make sure it's clean. Otherwise I like it.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Not a broken arrow fix but...

I suffered w/infections year after year, all different times of year. About every other year mucus would migrate down into my cheat and develop into Bronchitis/Walking Pneumonia for a few months. In 2007, I had surgery to remove polyps from lower sinus and re-construct sinus passages. Insurance actually covered most of it. Now I only get a sinus issue in the upper (above eyes) and very infrequently (1 or 2 per year).

I have a friend who went the extra mile and had the upper sinuses worked on. They drilled in from the eyebrows - not the thing for me!

Neti Pots are great as well.

5,445 Posts
Yes, just flush your sinuses with each shower you take. It doesn't take buying anything more than distilled water mixed with a small percentage of saline or some such disinfectant.

Mind you read this before engaging in random nasal rinses: http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm316375.htm

Reactions: XXXMarine

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have suffered from it most of my life. I now believe it is diet related for me anyway. If I am sugar free and relatively gluten free then I just do not have sinus trouble. Of course this is very hard to do all the time. I am convinced exercise also is highly beneficial.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Infections shut down the sinuses. I use a 12 hour nasal spray to keep them open because if they can drain you can get rid of the infection much more easily. You have to be aware that they can be addictive however. A pharmacist once told me that Dristan nasal spray is OK that way- I look for a no-name brand that uses the same ingredients.

Reminds me that I once had a months-long sore throat, strep too, potentially rather serious, after much medical attention it turned out to actually be due to a blocked sinus that kept the infection safe and going. Nasal spray ended that.

·
Registered
6,479 Posts
my left side is always plugged. the quacks here always tell me the same thing; allergies.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
I've never done or tried this but knew a couple that any sign of sinus problems they would snort fumes from heated vinegar.

·
Registered
253 Posts
It's not that the allergies are one sided, but that the size and shape of the passages are different, so when they both swell up, the smaller passage feels more clogged up.

My doctor offered to root around in there and open up the passageway, but I decided I can live with the sniffles.

Reactions: mjensenwv

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sinus infections remedies. Your thoughts and ideas.
http://www.askaprepper.com/natural-remedies-sinus-infection/
Most people don't realize that a persistant post-nasal drip is a sign of a reoccuring and hard to remove sinus infection. Your nasal passages reach far further up into the skull than you'd think. It's not something you want to let fester. I never realized this was the case for me until I did some research on my own. Not being a fan of antibiotics, I researched natural methods and came up with a nasal rinse.

While it is somewhat like a neti, it doesn't involve putting THAT much liquid in the nasal passages. For me, that was excessive. What I do is take a clean saline bottle (like what you use for contact lens solution/rinse), and using warmed distilled water, mix the following items in:

-1 heaping tablespoon of epsom salts (ph balanced, so it is easier on your nasal passages) natural antibacterial/viral/fungal treatment

-2 drops of tea trea oil (very potent so be careful) natural antibacterial/viral/fungal treatment

-6 drops of eucalyptus oil (very refreshing to the nasal passages)

-2 drops of peppermint/spearmint oil (again helps refresh and open up nasal passages)

-1 bottle of PONARIS nasal treatment (the astronauts use it in space because of the sinus issues they get), includes natural lubricants/moisturizers for the nasal passages as well as acting as a dispersal agents for the more potent essential oils (tea tree)

Put everything together in the squeeze bottle and shake until dissolved. Yes the oils themselves won't dissolve in the water, but it doesn't need to, to be effective.

When using this wash (typically in the morning when you wake up, and before you go to bed), put the bottle under warm/hot water in the sink until the bottle warms up slightly past body temperature, so that when you use the wash, it will also dislodge any stubborn particles in the nose that can contribute to congestion etc. Squeeze for about 10 seconds in each nose cavity with your head back, then expell it.

I've been using this for the last 6 years, and I've slept easier, breathed easier, and haven't have ONE sinus infection since. My post nasal drip has completely stopped too. Just make sure that you use clean and sanitized water and containers for this method. In the past, some neti users failed to follow this guidance and used contaiminated water (brain eating amoeba). Chlorinated water kills it, but I hyper filter water I use anyways just to be sure. You can continue to use the same container (saving the solution), just warming it up each time when you need it. I don't leave home with it...and it is a must have in the field with all the crap we breathe in too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
+1 for "netti pot" the supplied of salt for making the saline solution work well. Also an alternative to the saline mixture for the Netti pot is a product called "Alkalol". It was recommended to me by a Dr. at Dana Farber and it works well for me.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Thanks Jhizza. I had to cut out foods to get a handle on the sinus infection/mucus probs. Dairy prods are/were my main prob. Probly reason for my kidney stones as well, although soda may be a culprit . Vicks "steaminhaler" works well for me. I did nettie pot for yrs until the sinus wash bottle kit from pharmacy. Environmental allergies are the hardest to cope with. I am always relieved at higher elevations and generally headache/faceache free. I am always surprised what a tsp of baking soda in a glass of water can do.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I use a Neti pot from time to time. It takes a little getting used to and make sure it's clean. Otherwise I like it.
Me too. Best thing I ever did. Always have both nostrils clear. Haven't had a sinus infection in 10 years. Used to get em twice a year. Little bit of salt in a cup of warm water, tip the head, in one nostril, through the sinus, out the other. Like Nomad said, it takes a bit of getting used to but it's awesome.

Dutch

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
Need more than saline.

Saline plus xylitol will stop infections and sooth even non sinus headaches.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts