M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at press after press after press, just looking at different options. Checking all the details, seeing what kits have what parts in them, reading reviews, etc. etc.... So I'm just wondering if any of you have any reccomendations. I've been looking at the Lee Challenger Breech Lock Kit, something like $100 at MidwayUSA. Just seems too cheap I guess, like I'd get it, use it a little, and then it would break. I've also looked at the RCBS Rock Chucker Kit and other kits by Lyman and Hornady. Their prices are all in the $325-350 ballpark (a bit more what I expected). I guess my big question is would the Lee press be a good one or would I be better off spending the extra $ and getting one of the other manufacturer's press kits? Any input is welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Spend the money on a Rockchucker. If it ever breaks and I'm still alive, let me know. I'm 56 now and men in my family live to 90. Buy quality and maintain it. My RC is 30+ years old.

·
Senior Chief, U. S. Navy, Ret
407 Posts
Spend the money on a Rockchucker. If it ever breaks and I'm still alive, let me know. I'm 56 now and men in my family live to 90. Buy quality and maintain it. My RC is 30+ years old.
The Rockchucker is the standard by which all other single stage presses are judged. Furthermore, RCBS' warranty and customer service is superb. Great products.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Let me Ask what you want to do???
Plinking, Hunting, Local matches or Serious Competition
The Rock Chucker for Sure for Competition . If you are Like Me and just Hunt and Shoot Paper and want to load large quantities you might consider a Progressive

·
Registered
576 Posts
I got my first reloading tutorial from well known long range/mid range shooter. He uses the Rockchucker. He highly recomended it, so that's what I got. I'm glad I did!

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Have you looked at Hornady? I bought my brother their single-stage press... it's quite a brute! (I had to buy it for him, I stole his little RCBS RS3 press some years ago and felt guilty.)

They have a kit for around $335 at Midway, it has the press, a hand primer, a powder measure (the same one I use on my progressive Hornady) and much of the other stuff you would get in any kit. It does come with a digital scale, I would go out and buy a RCBS 5-0-5 press, though, but that's just me.

There is rumor going around that the Rockchucker is now made in China, I DO NOT know if this is true or not, that would be the only thing that would dissuade me from recommending the Rockchucker kit (that comes with the 5-0-5 scale, by the way.) As I mentioned, I have a RCBS RS3, the little press I started loading on back in 1986... I have never broken a part on it in all these 25 years even after loading .30-06 and .348WCF on it.

I'm not a big fan of Lee equipment, I have a few Lee items on the bench and they do OK. I had a little Lee press I used to decap cases and I broke it in about 20 minutes. One of the moderators on another forum has loaded in excess of 700,000 rounds on his Lee turret press, so it is what it is.

You get what you pay for...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Depends

I bought the Lee kit. I was low on $ and wanted to get my "foot in the door".
It has (and still does) served me well over the last 2+ years. I'm probably around 1200 rounds loaded with it.
I have slowly upgraded parts here and there like the "hand" tools and recently the scale.

If my budget allowed, I probably would have went with RCBS but the deciscion was made and I don't regret it.

If you do go with the Lee kit, pay attention to the scale. It does its job, but be sure to check it often. The RCBS 5-0-5 is far superior.

Whatever your choice, be thorough and enjoy!

Andy

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
its not a rumor about RCBS stuff being made in china. all the press castings RCBS use now come from china (when the rumor appeared a few years ago, i emailed them and it was confirmed by RCBS. since RCBS has decided to put Americans out of work, i buy either redding or dillon reloading products.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I recommend the Lee anniversary kit for 81.00 to those that aren't sure that they will like reloading. But if your going to stick with it. get the better press. My self I started with a used RCBS jr it got tired after 20 years, and because I found a new jr.I'm still loading on a jr. It's the same as a Rockchucker just not as big thats why it;s called jr.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
its not a rumor about RCBS stuff being made in china. all the press castings RCBS use now come from china (when the rumor appeared a few years ago, i emailed them and it was confirmed by RCBS. since RCBS has decided to put Americans out of work, i buy either redding or dillon reloading products.
Very sad to hear this GI8 I will be calling RCBS's customer service on Monday to voice my concerns and displeasure! I have two Rockchuckers and a Jr. that I bought several years ago and they have served me with flawless reliability.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i can also recommend the lee, it was the one i started with and am still using to this day. I have over five thousand assorted rounds made on the lee classic press and still counting.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Check out the Lee classic cast from the Lee Outlet Store. Downright inexpensive, smoother than ----, made in USA, and strong enough for 50 cal.
Rick

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
That USED to be true, now they are again made right here in the USA. They had to many problems with the quality of the castings from China.

·
Rest in Peace Federal
10,217 Posts
Solution, buy a used Rockchucker. I've had mine for 50 years, it's a little dirtier than when I got it but that is all.

-

·
Registered
510 Posts
E bay is your friend. look around, I just saw some for $60 to $80
Don't be afraid of rust.
One thing.. get the kind that has room for your fingers.
I used a friends and I had to be a an angle to insert the case. (PIA)
The Rock will do you for many years.
I have an old Pacific, And it works fine.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
One thing.. get the kind that has room for your fingers.
I used a friends and I had to be a an angle to insert the case. (PIA)
That's true! My little RS3... you have to tip the bullet up inside the seat die to clear the top of the case on .30-06, and a little with 7.62mm and .348WCF.

Bigger is better in this case.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow! Thanks for all the replies everyone. I was kind of leaning towards a rockchucker, and after reading most of the responses i think a rockchucker it will be. As I have no intention of ever quitting shooting, might as well buy something that'll hopefully outlast me. Now I just need to order one and go make some brass so I can use it!

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
You can't go wrong with the Rock Chucker. If money is a concern, at a minimum get a cast O-Type press. Have a friend that was given the cheap Lee C-Press. It seems to flex too much when F/L resizing large magnum cases. Works okay for light duty applications like resizing .223/decapping/seating bullets etc., but not for HD use. dozier

·
Registered
975 Posts
I bought a new Rock Chucker about 25 years ago. Some time later I found a used one at a gun show and bought it too. The old ones aren't the same as the new ones now and mine are the old ones. The Lee Classic Cast doesn't look bad at all. A friend bought an RCBS Partner Press as his first press. He kept breaking the handle and RCBS kept replacing it. I thought maybe he was doing something wrong so I went over to se how it worked. Couldn't see anything wrong and it kept breaking handles. We fitted a homemade handle for a bit and then he bought cheap aluminum Lee O press and it works great for him. It's a bit small but it hasn't broken. He bought it before Lee made the Classic Cast press. The Lee Classic Cast press is larger and looks better and heavier.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts