M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don'r drive to the city but about once every six months. Had gone yesterday for an eye exam. I noticed about six homes with a single solar panel on the roof. All were higher end homes. Not sure if these are for back up lighting or security system.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
What was the size of the panel? 1'X1' or so? Advances in solar technology have made energy generation via solar panels. Lots of solar co-gens being installed these days.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The solar panels I saw I would guess ranged from 200-300watts. And one may have been even larger.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I met a guy while I was running an Appleseed shoot last month and we got to talking. Seems he had a solar backup for his well pump. The people who installed it "last year" are out of business and the system is not working.

He lives in the next township over so I told him I'd have a look at it for him. There are very few people experienced in installing a battery backed system.

The system consisted of 2 - 210w panels, a 24v Morning Star Charge Controller, 4 - 6v 200Ah batteries in series (24v), a RD3924 Magnum Energy Inverter/Charger, and a Reliance Transfer switch that tied a 1HP 115vac jet pump to the utility power or the Solar backup.

Doing the math the system Solar panel count was not nearly enough. The battery count was awful light too. Could the system work... in theory yes, but only in optimal conditions and for no more than 1 hour run-time total per day spread out over a 20 hr period. No days of autonomy and you'd need a full 5 hours of sun each day to replace the intermittent hour of usage. The reason it wasn't working at all, the guy who did the original install didn't wire the charge controller to the battery array properly.

The point of the story and back to the OP there could be any number of reason for small arrays out there.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would think if that were the case, the solar panel would be installed on the pumphouse roof. All the electrical solar panels I had noticed the other day were on house roofs.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
I would think if that were the case, the solar panel would be installed on the pumphouse roof. All the electrical solar panels I had noticed the other day were on house roofs.
Suburban house attached garage... pump, batteries, controller and inverter is on the back wall of the garage. The Solar Panels were almost directly above the equipment on a Southern facing angle of the roof. This is a pretty common setup around these parts

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Come to think about it, each of the homes probably had attached garages so could have been systems to ensure being able to use the garage door(s). Probably half the solar panel was infact installed directly above a garage door.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts