M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 500 round case for 200 bucks, and was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this particular ammo?

I was told that the laquer casing on the Brown Bear stuff can be death to your rifle. I read a couple online reviews on the Silver Bear stuff and they seemed fairly positive with the exception of the occasional dirty/ not the most accurate complain.

Any input on this stuff thru an M1A would be appreciated. Thanks guys

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Acog mike-

Do a search of the topic "steel case .308" in the search bar. its been discussed at length. Quick and dirty though? I personally would not fire steel .308 through my M14. There are gents on here that do and it seems to work fine, but I wont put that stuff through an 1800.00 dollar rifle. Ive seen a lot of rounds with overpressure signs with the russian 7.62 nato.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Acog mike-

Do a search of the topic "steel case .308" in the search bar. its been discussed at length. Quick and dirty though? I personally would not fire steel .308 through my M14. There are gents on here that do and it seems to work fine, but I wont put that stuff through an 1800.00 dollar rifle. Ive seen a lot of rounds with overpressure signs with the russian 7.62 nato.
I agree 100% Steel cased ammo in my M1-A's NEVER! I do use it in my AK74 because it was designed to use it. And its an AK, if i blow it up it really would'nt bother me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well I only have a $1100 M1A and it gobbles up steel cased ammo with no problems, there may be some that's, bad but my best groups came from that old copper washed stuff. Went thru 3,000 rounds with maybe a few duds, and lots of smiles and dings on a 300 yard steel plate. I just tried out some of that soft point "green" ammo and it shoots fine. J&G in Arizona has it for $349.00 a case of 1000.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
i used to buy that steel case stuff because it was cheap. then i realized that i can get brass case surplus for the same price. neither one shoots great but i will say that the brass is a lot cleaner burning. i dont think i could ever shoot the steel ammo out of a rifle and not do a complete strip down cleaning. another thing to consider too, is that the steel cased ammo also has copper coated steel jackets. that is the thing that always worried me. from now on, the steel case .308 gets shot out of my FAL only. having said that, i believe that steel case is not as bad as the "witch hunt" has made it out to be. and i would say that the M14 is robust enough to handle stuff like that...........but why do it? get some NATO surplus.

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,130 Posts
Any input on this stuff thru an M1A would be appreciated. Thanks guys
I would only use a case or two for a door stop only for the barn. The M14/M1A was never manufactured to run this type of cartridge through them. Call up Springfield Armory Inc. and see how long the life time warrant would last running this type of ammunition through them.DI5

Just run brass through her, she will love you for it.

Reactions: CAVman

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Acog mike-

There are even some pics of KB's in the various threads of this discussion. QC does not seem to be a high priority with this grade of ammo. It's made as cheaply as possible with low grade components. What are the chances of a KB using this ammo, who knows; but I'll let somebody else find out. dozier

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I've shot several cases of Bear ammo out of my 14s & FALs.... It's cleaner shooting than lots of milsurp nato ammo with acceptable accuracy, I've shot at least a dozen deer with Bear soft points & none went more than a step or 2 at most

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.