M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
The only complaint seems to be gas blowback. The cure is and adjustable or vented gas system. Many have found a spindle valve cross drilled to a smaller port diameter works OK.

·
Registered
444 Posts
YHM Phantom ti is relatively light & quiet on my XM21, but is no fun to shoot because of gas-in-the-face. Even with the adjustable gas plug turned down. So pay attention to what nf1e is saying above.

·
Premium Member
15,262 Posts
The whole idea of the OSS is that it vents forward around the muzzle. Great idea and the darn things work. Can't wait to get mine. Will be using it on M14s and a couple of bolt rifles.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am fairly set on the oss because of what Art mentioned. I got the idea from him. I dont need fancy metal tho, I'll be happy with the steel one. But I'm open to all opinions on any can. Particularly on the 14.
Being a reloader for the past 10 years or so I'm afraid of exposing my stupidity with this question but, what is subsonic ammo?

Also a question for Mr. Brown, since you brung it up, what's your opinion on upgrading the gas system like you mentioned vs going with the OSS which should not require any gas system mods?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Subsonic ammo flings the bullet below the speed of sound (1050 fps or so), so there's no supersonic crack. Subsonic ammo can approach "Hollywood quiet", & probably won't cycle the action on an M14. I believe you can make safe subsonic 308 loads with Trailboss powder, which has big fluffy grains.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That makes me feel much better about not knowing what subsonic ammo is. My muzzle loader has better velocity. Shoot, I'd worry about the target outrunning the bullet. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
The whole idea of the OSS is that it vents forward around the muzzle. Great idea and the darn things work. Can't wait to get mine. Will be using it on M14s and a couple of bolt rifles.
I’ve been looking at the OSS HD as well. I understand they aren’t as quiet as baffled base suppression but you don’t get the blow back.

I’m not looking to suppress the M14’s, but for bolt rifles and AR’s.
Glad you had the chance to try one out.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
  • 134 – 138 decibels (20” Remington 700 Rifle using commercial grade 150 gr ammo)
  • 133 – 137 decibels (16” AR15 DI using commercial grade 55 gr ammo)
  • 138 – 140 decibels (16” 7.62 AR15 DI using commercial grade 150 gr ammo)
Copied from oss website. I dont think 130 to 140 decibels requires hearing protection. Am I off point?
I wonder if modifying the gas system to get decibels lower with a different can would be worth the trouble?

·
Forum Jester
6,926 Posts
see if you can locate an m14 brass deflector

Reactions: bustedknuckles

·
Registered
198 Posts
I’ve been running an AAC 762SDN6 on my Scout Squad for many years.

see if you can locate an m14 brass deflector
I use a gas deflector from an M14 Blank Firing Adapter along with a Schuster adjustable gas plug to mitigate “gas face” with my suppressed M1A Scout Squad.

I personally wouldn’t run a suppressed M1A without one.

Gratuitous suppressed M1A pics

·
Registered
7,071 Posts
  • 134 – 138 decibels (20” Remington 700 Rifle using commercial grade 150 gr ammo)
Copied from oss website. I dont think 130 to 140 decibels requires hearing protection. Am I off point?
I wonder if modifying the gas system to get decibels lower with a different can would be worth the trouble?
The difference between 130 and 140DB is huge, it’s not linear.

At 140, you should wear hearing protection if you are firing more than just a handful of shots.

Assuming you don’t want ear ringing or potential hearing loss.

·
Registered
7,071 Posts

You should still wear hearing protection unless you are firing subsonic 22LRor another variant that suppresses well at subsonic like 300 Black out.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I'm going to drop a grand I dont want to worry with hearing protection. That's the point right?
My hearing is shot anyway, and hunting would be the only time I wouldn't have hearing protection handy.
I'm questioning getting a can honestly, for one I think its infringement to require a tax stamp and secondly if I'd still have to wear ear plugs then it's not worth it imo

·
Premium Member
15,262 Posts
Been there Mike. Decisions, decisions.

I mainly use suppressors on my home range during the time of year when weekenders are using our lake. Totally agree on the tax part. Funny, some places other than the US require sound suppressors for recreational use of rifles.

·
Registered
356 Posts
The only complaint seems to be gas blowback. The cure is and adjustable or vented gas system. Many have found a spindle valve cross drilled to a smaller port diameter works OK.
are you meaning like a Schuster adjustable gas plug? I have one my M1A but have never really seen any benefit compared to the one on my M1. I was able to almost cut my M1 group sizes in half. My M1A, not so much....

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
I am I am currently playing the waiting game on my suppressor. And once I figure out which way I want to go adapter wise I should have my 18 inch LRB muffled! I went with a dead air Sandman s.

Reactions: bustedknuckles
1 - 20 of 22 Posts