M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had a SAI M1A NM, I think a Nelson build, for many years but new to this website. I have learned a lot, in a short time, THANK YOU!.

My question is there a way to make the thunderous CLICK go away when releasing the safety?

I assume this must gave been an issue in combat and certainly while hunting.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I dunno, Trapper. The safety on my M1A has always been very quiet. Maybe they're building them differently these days, or maybe yours has a specific problem.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
If you ease it slowly, maybe using two fingers, that doesn't work? Although I know some pros who would say the solution is to not use the safety at all, of course only advisable in a tactical situation.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dunno, Trapper. The safety on my M1A has always been very quiet. Maybe they're building them differently these days, or maybe yours has a specific problem.
About a 85 late 38XXX NM.

Not a problem per se , just noisier than I like

·
Registered
918 Posts
Mine is a usgi and it was like what your talking about. After my trigger job it's now quite mod to know what they did but I like it now.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you ease it slowly, maybe using two fingers, that doesn't work? Although I know some pros who would say the solution is to not use the safety at all, of course only advisable in a tactical situation.
Just a PITA to have to REALLY nudge it to get off safe then the noisy click.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by my favorite hunting rifles (pre-64 M70s)

·
Registered
80 Posts
The GI's used to cut the end of the safety off on the Garands to make them quitter. I see no reason why it wouldn't work the same way in an M14. Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in.

Here is a link to a photo to see what I am referring to.

http://www.ammogarand.com/m1-garand-safety-springfield-u-coded-195039s-53m119503953.html
Actually cutting the tips off of the safety was done so the safety could be applied when the hammer was not cocked, really has no effect on the "click".

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Actually cutting the tips off of the safety was done so the safety could be applied when the hammer was not cocked, really has no effect on the "click".
I have a trigger that I bought with a cut safety. It still clicks and requires effort.

I have heard various stories on why they cut them. I like the hammer cocked story.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What I have done with my Garand is to use my right thumb inside the trigger guard and my right index finger outside the trigger guard. Moving the safety slowly while keeping a tight hold on the safety seems to take all the noise out. For mine, anyway.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
pinch it between the thumb and fore finger when you engage it or disengage it. youll see. my question is, is why are you worried about it? the "wild" is full of noise.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Have had a SAI M1A NM, I think a Nelson build, for many years but new to this website. I have learned a lot, in a short time, THANK YOU!.

My question is there a way to make the thunderous CLICK go away when releasing the safety?

I assume this must gave been an issue in combat and certainly while hunting.
If it makes you feel any better, I also have a Glenn Nelson build (circa 1999) and it also has a noisy safety click... no, make that a clank. Even trying to ease it into firing position is a noisy affair (altho' it does help it nominally).

Now... for what it's worth, what I've done regarding hunting (I did carry it one day this season for deer hunting), is to leave the noisy bugger at home and carry a proper hunting rifle with a quiet safety. On the day I used the rifle hunting, I left the safety off... which I did not care for. Besides, that gun is too heavy to be walking around much with.

Reading the thread with interest... hoping there would be a fix so that deer won't hear the safety released from a mile away. The wild may indeed be full of noises, but I don't believe the metallic sound of a Nelson M1a safety releasing is one that a deer is used to.....

·
Registered
398 Posts
Don't dremel it whatever you do!
I did that with my first Garand. I examined the safety to see why it clicked and observed when engaged, it pulls the hammer back a little. I simply ground the inside radius so that does not contact the hammer. It is now very quiet and easy to manipulate.*

I did this 20 years ago, it still works fine and passes all the safety tests.

*I am not a gunsmith, don't mess something up and blame me.

·
Registered
190 Posts
PhillipM. Thanks for sharing this. I would like to hear from the experts since I am embarrassed to admit I let my safety go carelessly as deer was clearing some small pines about 50 yards out and he stopped dead and backed away...my 7 and 5 yr old boyz looked at me like I was the worlds biggest dumb ars! I usually use my thumb and forefinger but already had pulled up and forgot the safety...

Much appreciate this thread.

Cheers!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
pinch it between the thumb and fore finger when you engage it or disengage it. youll see. my question is, is why are you worried about it? the "wild" is full of noise.
Not metallic clanks. Bang an aluminum arrow on a bow riser and see how long the animal stays put.

When going half to full **** on by BP rifles, I grab the hammer then pull the trigger before going to full ****. Then I release the trigger and ease the hammer back onto the sear.

I would like to see what others have done concerning a radius to miss contact with the hammer. I have not dissected the trigger group well enough to identify the source/nature of the click. I want to eliminate the clank, but still have a safe safety.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts