M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to all Gun Brethren ,

Recently I took an AR rifle course, for which many of the participants were running various high end back up iron sights. I Shot well throughout the course with my factory irons till about 350 yards, when middle aged eyes took their toll, so when I got back I decided that perhaps it was my mil spec irons that needed upgrading to improve the sight picture and accuracy issues.
I purchased the GG&G MAD BUIS, which is a nice sight, but after shooting 250 rounds of 55 grain federal at 25 and 50 M using the official M4 target and multiple re-sighting sessions, and tightening everything I can tighten on my rifle, round placement went from a 1/2 inch sub MOA with the old sights to at best a 4" group with the new BUIS's- What the heck! I like these GG&G's which co-witness well with my red dot but I can not get the "money adjustment to make them shoot like my old irons. Your thoughts on this matter are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Personally I would not opt for the sight you mention and not due to quality, features, etc., but it is load specific. One can opt for a std. issue rear sight of match quality which fits on your rifle's flat top which gives very precise adjustment. If eye sight is your issue, a "hooded" aperture w/ lens insert often times can correct or aid in vision of the front sight post and target. The elevation drum(horizontal drum) accomplishes the same thing as the rotating aperture for varying distances and is easy and quick to adjust to suit.**
There is no carry handle involved but only the sight body attaches to the rifle. Different hole sizes/apertures are available and with the magnification due to lens insert is a big plus. Should mention that your factory issue sight can be equipped with the hood/lens set up and not necessary to replace but not as precise adjustment. Source that comes to mind is I believe Bob Jones but sure others out there as well. Just a suggestion.

** You will need to know the "come ups" for your loads at different distances and then simply put on that much elevation.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
That's good advice.

I like the fact 600 yard sight, but you have to load for it so I just use Troy sights.

Some cheap a2 45 degree sights have been the best irons I have.

·
Registered
547 Posts
My main question here is what is your front sight? The reason I am asking is that I have seen some set ups where the either the front sight was too high or the rear sight too high.

If your sights are fine, I am wondering if you used Loctite for the screws or not. I would recommend narrowing down the problem some more to help solve the problem. I am also wondering if you wear glasses or not while shooting.

As for the GG&G sight, I do not see any problems with quality control unless one got past the inspection and you got a lemon.

Like I am intimating, I need to know you more to help figure out your problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks village 16 for the response, all good points.

1.Glasses yes - No line Bifocals, no problems previously including at the course recently taken; Last prescription change 10 months ago.

2. Standard front sight, I have only adjusted the front sight post and left the rear alone other than minor adjustments for windage.
3. Yes Blue Loctite on rear, all the rest just factory recommended torque settings.

4. Shooting prone, SAS style.

5. Viewing irons through Vortex strike fire red dot to simulate optic malfunction, I did not shoot as mentioned with optics at the course.

6. Rifle - RRA 16" Barrel, 1:9 Twist, not to many accoutrements attached other than light and mount at front of hand guard.

I went out to the range today after removing GG&G M-BUIS and placed the old irons back on. Definitely pulled my groups back in, although not perfect. I don't think there's a defect in the GG&G sight, but more of a problem with compatibility of their aperture and my eye sight acuity, like instructor said "A hooded aperture w/ lens insert often times can correct or aid in vision of the front sight post and target." I noticed the front sight post looked clear while the edges of the target silhouette were quite fuzzy, with the GG&G it was all fuzzy.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I mostly ran my usual questions when I am helping out a customer at the gun shop I last worked at. I have not seen too many people at the gun shop I work at now have AR problems right now. I think some of my questions came from experience.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
I run MaTechs or a traditional carry handle on all my AR's. The TM on that MaTechs call for 300 -1 on a 25/300M zero. Not sure how your sights are calibrated. The MaTechs are calibrated for M855.

Not to dismiss your skill or experience, but watch your cheek-to-stock wield. Easy thing to miss. Remember also to focus on the front sight post. Sometimes I need that reminder, because often when im reflex shooting I dont do that, and slip into bad habits.

Also check for wobble, up or down, on your new sights. Maybe they are shifting under firing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts