M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this platform and in search of any information I know it has probably been answered before. I have limited space to sight in, right at 50 yards. Longest shot I would have to take while hunting is about 200 yards. Can the elevation knob be used like on a m16 for greater ranges? Lowest mine will turn right now is 6 how do you adjust this?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
179 Posts
I use 25 yd for sighting in. For the m1/m14, it should be around 6-8 click up ftom the bottom. Once you got it, 100 yd zero should be a click or 2 up. Once you have the 100 zero, unscrew the elevation locknut, and move the 100 marking to where u got it sighted at 100.

For 200 and beyond, just rotate the elev drum and it should get u pretty close.

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,621 Posts
There are zeroing instructions in my part of the Professionals section of the forum. It's part of the Maintenance post.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I take it that you are trying to calibrate the rear sight with the indicated numbers on the elevation drum/knob. Not a thing wrong with that, but a simpler way is to once zeroed at the given range, say 25 yards, 100yds, etc. simply count the number of clicks from bottom you are and keep that number in mind. Elevation drum is 1moa/click and from 100to 200 come up two clicks/2moa, 200 to 300 come up 3 clicks/3moa, etc., etc. I really don't care what number is shown on the drum, can't see them clearly anyway with old eyes, so clicks easier for me to keep up with if changing elevation setting. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
902 Posts
There are better sight in instructions on the forum, but here's the quick and dirty. 50 yards can be used to battle sight the rifle. Adjust the rear sight elevation until the rifle shoots to point of aim at 50 yards. Count the number of clicks up from the bottom and write the number down. Set the elevation to the number of clicks you just determined.

Now loosen the screw on the elevation drum (you will need a second screwdriver to hold the other end of the shaft steady on the windage side). It should be loose enough that you can rotate it freely (no clicks). Rotate the elevation drum until the large notch above the 2 on the drum lines up with the indicator notch on the mount. Tighten the elevation drum screw, being careful not to move the sight without the drum moving. This may take some trial and error.

The rifle is now battle sighted. The large notch above the 2 should be good between 50 and 200 meters. Yes meters - the M14 sight is calibrated in the metric system, so things won't be exact if you sighted in at 50 yards, but they should be very close. In any case, once battle sighted, the sight will work as intended and you can dial in your range.

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
I take it that you are trying to calibrate the rear sight with the indicated numbers on the elevation drum/knob. Not a thing wrong with that, but a simpler way is to once zeroed at the given range, say 25 yards, 100yds, etc. simply count the number of clicks from bottom you are and keep that number in mind. Elevation drum is 1moa/click and from 100to 200 come up two clicks/2moa, 200 to 300 come up 3 clicks/3moa, etc., etc. I really don't care what number is shown on the drum, can't see them clearly anyway with old eyes, so clicks easier for me to keep up with if changing elevation setting. Just a suggestion.
^^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
457 Posts
SETTING YOUR REAR SIGHT

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIKnTPeZbKQ[/ame]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.