M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I am sighting in 4 rifles of various calibers after scope upgrades/swaps (.22, 6.8 SPC, .30-30, 7.62x51) it would certainly help if I used a bore sight tool to conserve ammunition while sighting them in. What are your preferred tools and why? I.e., cost, effectiveness, ease of use, works with multiple calibers......

Your help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
bore sight tool

I use a Bushnell because it has several size ranges of bore spuds and a grid to set the scope.

·
Registered
10,916 Posts
It's called "bore sighting" for a reason. RNGR2 No tools needed. Just take out the bolt, look down the bore and point it at the target. Keep your scope on the lowest setting and adjust it until also is on target.

For closed actions, like the M14, you set your rifle up with the iron sights on target, then you move your reticle until is does the same.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Set up a target at anywhere from ten feet to twenty five yards, fire one round. If you miss the target, a bore sighter would have been wasted money. If you do hit the target, hold the rifle steady, move the crosshairs to the bullet hole, and have a buddy move the cross hair adjustments until they center the bull. Then work your way out to where you want to be. If this for some reason is not possible, place a soda can on the backstop and shoot at it. Have a buddy 'spot' the shot, and work your crosshairs to a hit. This will also familiarize you with the adjustments.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What I have done in the past is shoot at a gong at 150 yards that is surrounded by sandy soil, of course this only works when everything is dry. That way I can get on paper quicker... Unfortunately, the range is so busy that it would be next to impossible to start close and work my way out. Boresighting by disassembly at the range I go to is not a good idea.... The bench setup is not conducive to doing this...... Unfortunately, I would have to drive 120-130 miles to find a better range... The AR, obviously would work for this as there are no small parts to get lost, the same can't be said for the other weapons. The setting the scope according to the BUIS only works if the BUIS have been adjusted..... and you have plenty of sand bags, and, and, and..... I'll get it figured out somehow.... Might just take two rifles at a time instead of trying to do all four in a single day....

·
Registered
10,916 Posts
I do the boresighting at home, using my cleaning rack to hold the rifle on a table. I aim the bore at a fencepost in the backyard, then bring the crosshairs into place. Takes 5 minutes. No fancy gadgets.

·
Registered
871 Posts
When I walk out to sight a new rifle in I make sure the scope is not canted one way or the other. After that's good I go to the range and I put a 6" black bull In the center of a large white background ,the back of cheap XMas paper, usually 4' x the width. I then return to the bench and support the rifle. Oh at 100 yards. After the first shot ,centered in the bull ,I do the opposite of Dave and begin with the scope in the bull and adjust to the bullet hole. Doing it this way I'm usually there in 3 rounds if you hit the backstop the first time. If not I will off hand one at 50 to get a ruff idea where it went and can adjust from there. It works for me.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
Set up a target at anywhere from ten feet to twenty five yards, fire one round. If you miss the target, a bore sighter would have been wasted money. If you do hit the target, hold the rifle steady, move the crosshairs to the bullet hole, and have a buddy move the cross hair adjustments until they center the bull. Then work your way out to where you want to be. If this for some reason is not possible, place a soda can on the backstop and shoot at it. Have a buddy 'spot' the shot, and work your crosshairs to a hit. This will also familiarize you with the adjustments.
Nothing beats old fashioned know how......no fancy bore sight device has common sense...; )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts