M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone own or tried one of these? Hard to get a look at one where I am, but I'm looking for the next best thing. I'm considering a mismatched pair of Sigs actually, a 9mm and a .22LR, both on the P226 platform. And as a retiree, that will be right after I win the lottery.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I have one in .357 Sig. Nice handling piece. Well made, typical Sig Quality. The controls on these pistols feel natural to me. Functions flawlessly.

I have shot the 9mm version also. Also handles real nice.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Anyone own or tried one of these? Hard to get a look at one where I am, but I'm looking for the next best thing. I'm considering a mismatched pair of Sigs actually, a 9mm and a .22LR, both on the P226 platform. And as a retiree, that will be right after I win the lottery.
Yes I own the Sig P226 in 9mm. Very nice gun. I would also recommend the P229, in 40 S&W, a little bit shorter than the P226. Both are metal frame guns and shoot well. I have not had any problems with then. HK is number one on my list, but Sig is a close second.

·
Rest in Peace
2,058 Posts
I carried a P226 for about 10 years. Never failed to function with any ammo under any conditions. I have other pistols I like to shoot and some are more accurate on a one-shot basis, but this is the one I'd grab if my neck was on the line. Right now, it is the one gun I own that is loaded and not locked away in my safe.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Yes I own the Sig P226 in 9mm. Very nice gun. I would also recommend the P229, in 40 S&W, a little bit shorter than the P226. Both are metal frame guns and shoot well. I have not had any problems with then. HK is number one on my list, but Sig is a close second.

Love the 229 also. I have one in .40 and carry it regularly.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I've got a P226 in .40 S&W. I love it. It's well-built, fits my hand nicely, and has functioned perfectly 100% of the time.

A couple pistols I've bought new have taken a while to "break-in" and shoot accurately, but my P226 was good to go right out of the box.

My only complaint is the trigger reset. The reset is L O N G. They make a "Short Reset Trigger" kit that I plan on installing (or having Sig do it so I don't void the warranty). I think the SRT comes standard on the newer E2 models.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Is the .22LR the "Mosquito"?
If so, avoid it.
I've shot one that my friend owned. Not that reliable on feeding and the sights were CHEAP. Not accurate with any ammo we tried (50/50 chance of hitting a popcan from 20 feet away).

The 226 in 9mm was a fantastic gun when I shot it last. Would love to own one.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the .22LR the "Mosquito"?
If so, avoid it.
I've shot one that my friend owned. Not that reliable on feeding and the sights were CHEAP. Not accurate with any ammo we tried (50/50 chance of hitting a popcan from 20 feet away).

The 226 in 9mm was a fantastic gun when I shot it last. Would love to own one.
I believe the Mosquito is another model completely. I would want the .22 version of the P226 for cross training (if that's the right term) with cheaper ammo than the 'real' one.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Any specific info that you're looking for? In my limited experience, the fit and feel of the P226,228,229 are all real similar.
My wife with her small hands doesn't care for them.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I shot a sig misquito yesterday. I believe that it is the .22lr version of the 226. (polymer framed) I really did like it. I had 226 but I traded it strait across for a hk usp9 with the jet flow kit and 3 hi cap mags and I havent looked back. Mine was a police trade in and I got it for like $400 at a gun store in Albuquerque, NM two or three years ago so I considered it a trade up for me.
E

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
This was my all stainless P226ST in 9mm. I just sold it last month to help finance my 2nd M1A. It was extremely accurate and reliable, although a little heavy with a steel frame. I liked it but I like my new M1A too.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have a 229-e2 in 40. I didn't care for the E2 grips in my hand, so I got a set of G10 Hogues that fit better. I got it lightly used ($700), so there was no break in period and it has been flawless in ~300 rounds. Still getting used to the DA/SA 2 trigger learning curve. Throw away the 1st shot, and SA trigger gets pretty darn good groups. Very well built pistol.

Reactions: Sweets

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
for the record the mosquito is NOT the p226 .22lr

the P226 .22lr "classic" is the P226 .22LR model.

shown here

I had the decision between the p226 and the FNX9 (the 226 was used so they were the same price)

I went with the FNX for two reasons, the sight rail, and the much better trigger.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Any specific info that you're looking for? In my limited experience, the fit and feel of the P226,228,229 are all real similar.
My wife with her small hands doesn't care for them.
Looking for general opinions and experiences, and anything specific as well.

I want 9mm because of the availability and cost for target shooting, .22 likewise only more so. The P226s are used and liked by some military types I know, but not when I'm around. Also, those guys are more or less a captive audience and aren't prone to sleep around with other guns. I DO know I mislike the more usual Berrettas.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
for the record the mosquito is NOT the p226 .22lr

the P226 .22lr "classic" is the P226 .22LR model.

shown here

I had the decision between the p226 and the FNX9 (the 226 was used so they were the same price)

I went with the FNX for two reasons, the sight rail, and the much better trigger.
I do love a good trigger. How similar or different is the operation of your FNX9 as compared with the P226, can you say?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sig sells a 22 conversion kit for the 226. People I know like them. I would suggest looking at the website. I think the Sig is a great pistol. They are well made and reliable. I would suggest handling some of the other pistols on the market to see what fits you best. IMHO there are a lot of good combat platforms out there to choose from.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have had several P226's and LOVE the platform, ergonomically it fits me very well and I enjoy shooting them. They fit me better than a Beretta 92 and is my 1st choice for a high cap full size 9mm.

I also like the P226 for a more compact pistol, same basic feel and controls, and a little lighter than a P228. If you get a P228 with a P226 high cap magazine and adaptor it basically feels the same.

If it fits your hand and you can shoot with it, you can't go wrong. I would get a P226 and a conversion kit rather than a Mosquito.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Love my sigs

I'm an admitted SIGphile. My favorite all time range gun is a P226R-Stainless in 9mm, but if you keep an eye out you can find an older non-railed German manufactured gun... the triggers on those puppies are noticeably different in a good way and they can be had for a few hundred less than a new one.

I can't see a really good reason to pay those prices for a .22LR.

Currently I have the aforementioned P226 and a '95 P220, but I've always pined for a P229 .40. You can get a caliber exchange kit for those guns and have tons of fun with whatever is at hand.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts