M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about a 45-50 foot sailboat. Full set of deep-sea fishing gear, my M1a, and an extra-large size reefer full of beer. I'll be sailing off into the sunset with one hand on the helm and the other flipping the world the bird.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The last year I bought a kayak. Small lake nearby, mostly for relaxation and some fishing. The kids are at college so I have evenings alone. Spent around 150 hrs in it this summer.

Can't help but think it would be a good choice. Small, easily transported, quiet, no fuel involved to use it, low maintenance, low cost.

Don

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Anything else is just wasting time.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Not my thing but some may think a boat is the way to go.

HH

You got me thinking Hawk. Actually in some areas, a boat would be a better BOV than a land type BOV. Anyplace you can go that has limited accessibility is a plus when SHTF. For example, 5 miles North of my residence is Americas largest swamp. The Atchafalya Basin is 600,000 acres of bottomland hardwood, islands, swampland, bayous, and backwater lakes. The interior is only accessible by boat. Land vehicles probably outnumber boats by at least a 10 to 1 margin, so think that this amount of people will not have access to this area. Deer, waterfowl, and fish are plentiful. A good flat bottomed boat will get you anywhere you want to go in this area. There are other area in the US that are like this. The Upper Peninsula of Mich., Wisc., and Minn. have areas that can only be gotten to by portage of a boat. dozier

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
The water definately makes a lot of sense. Everyone has a car but very few have a boat. Even fewer have a boat already docked at the waters edge. Even fewer live on that boat and can leave immediately before the mob gets there.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the post. not my first line of g.o.o.d. unit but my 2nd or 3rd line of bug out. plus it can be a joint unit with both together need to be man powered with electric trolling for more power. can be that the unit could be carried or draged would be a plus "portage" X10-miles..lol... but a small wheeled system to roll unit could be a life saver like a bicycle wheel type trailer to move loaded unit along lines of game trailer that hunters use to move large game out of woods . canoes or flat bottom john boats are best and can double as a shelter if you know how to use them that way!

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U. S. ARMY VET

"All gave some but some gave ALL"

·
Read Only
2,230 Posts
I could use a couple near the bridges accross the OHIO

The last year I bought a kayak. Small lake nearby, mostly for relaxation and some fishing. The kids are at college so I have evenings alone. Spent around 150 hrs in it this summer.

Can't help but think it would be a good choice. Small, easily transported, quiet, no fuel involved to use it, low maintenance, low cost.

Don
I probably should put one or two in a storage unit in Madison, IN.

·
Read Only
2,230 Posts
Disarmed on the Bayou

You got me thinking Hawk. Actually in some areas, a boat would be a better BOV than a land type BOV. Anyplace you can go that has limited accessibility is a plus when SHTF. For example, 5 miles North of my residence is Americas largest swamp. The Atchafalya Basin is 600,000 acres of bottomland hardwood, islands, swampland, bayous, and backwater lakes. The interior is only accessible by boat. Land vehicles probably outnumber boats by at least a 10 to 1 margin, so think that this amount of people will not have access to this area. Deer, waterfowl, and fish are plentiful. A good flat bottomed boat will get you anywhere you want to go in this area. There are other area in the US that are like this. The Upper Peninsula of Mich., Wisc., and Minn. have areas that can only be gotten to by portage of a boat. dozier
Just remember to be stealthy. I recall a fairly widely distributed tale of woe of folks who had their firearms confiscated from them while piloting their boats in post-Katrian New Orleans.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
A friend is redoing a 42ft sailboat. I warned him that its a slow moving target on the waters.

HH

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
more info

Please remember safety! boats and water are like firearms and shooting it takes pratice to be good or safe , and just 1 absent minded action can and will cost someone their life! always , always use safe boating princables .U.S.Coast Guard
flotation devices and or training are recomended before hiting the water. I was raised on the water both fresh and salt and know how quick trouble can happen, even to safe veterans of boating, a storm, or boat failure can happen to the best of boaters. practice in calm water like a pond, boat turnover, and sinking. be able to turn upright a boat and reboard. be able to obtain and put on life vest and get needed gear in rocking boat that is sinking and can sink in 30 seconds. know the weight limits of vessel and how a loaded boat will handle differently than perfect conditions in a pratice boat unloaded. always understand what rough water means to safety, it is like force multiplier only against you! I have been swamped and rolled in canoe in rough open sea and only training and safe practice's got me thru. I have also been in whitewater here in the mountains where{or anywhere** rough current can seperate you from your vessel and safety gear.boats are like planes if you overload them they may fail at any time weigh and caculate your load, remember that the per person weight is caculated at 150 lbs. per person on the safety plate,,,WHY??? I am 245 to 250 naked my teenagers are 190 to 200 so recaculate load with real numbers not the sticker in the boat! weigh all gear and stay 10% under the rcomendations! I have a alum bass boat and a alum canoe so this is not idle talk, boating and shooting are great fun when done safely.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U. S. ARMY VET

"All gave some but some gave ALL"

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
A few years sgo here a guy who was considered an excellent swimmer drowned. Bass boat on the river. He was struck by a branch when they swerved because of another boat & he got knocked overboard. Wearing a live vest he might have survived.

And with a sail boat there are ropes, the boom, etc that you can get knocked overboard & a sailboat can't turn on a dime to come back for you.

Just play it safe when boating as was stated.

HH

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
I just have a few surf boards.GI9

But a boat might work in Hawaiian waters.GITEN

·
Registered
841 Posts
Great read. IMO opinion any vehicle that limits your transport by terrain is out. A kayak would be great for a hunting/fishing vehicle. I am just leery about being confined to a certain pathway, be it roads, air, waterways. My personal preference in bug out situation is my "cadillacs". Humping out, though not fun, is the best way to go, IMO, horseback, second best.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
All depends on where you have to go. Moving inland may not be the safest place to go. I like the idea of being able to take to water, if you have to. You can carry much more in a very small boat than you could ever carry on your back. Using a boat is an option that should not be overlooked. You become vulnerable on the water but no more or less than being on land given the right situations. Being compromised is being compromised

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I'm thinking about a 45-50 foot sailboat. Full set of deep-sea fishing gear, my M1a, and an extra-large size reefer full of beer. I'll be sailing off into the sunset with one hand on the helm and the other flipping the world the bird.
Get out 50 miles and fish for tuna while the world ends! sounds like fun.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
There's plenty of places in Louisiana to bug out to by boat, that are really close to large metropolitan areas. Lafayette and Baton Rouge are close to the Atchafalaya. New Orleans is close to Honey Island swamp. A big pirogue (a flat bottom canoe to you Highlanders GI6 ) can get you places only an alligator can follow. There's more protein readily available in an acre of swamp than an acre of Midwestern farm land (including the afore mentioned alligator that might be following you.) I've brought experienced hunters into the swamp and dropped them off in a blind or a stand, and had to laugh when they asked " you're not going to forget to pick us up " They realized there was no way to walk, crawl, or even swim out of where I just dropped them off.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts